IGNORED

Is there any good reason to get a Wii U?

Hi, I'd like to say right off, IM NOT A TROLL. I love Nintendo and have had every console and even most of the handhelds. I think Mario Kart is awesome, I love the original and 3d mario games, most of the Zelda games etc... I want to like the Wii U. I cant really see any reason to get it. I realize in a year there will probably be a 3d Mario game and a new Zelda game (Im not as crazy about a HD WindWaker since well it's a great game but i played it once on the cube and then again in 480p on the Wii... it will be great for kids or adults that missed it the first time around but i cant get excited about it) so even a year from now lets say there are 4 awesome Nintendo titles... is that enough of a reason to buy this thing for anyone but the fanboys? No one seems to care about it. I went to Best Buy to try it again to seeif they had any other playable demo besides Ray Man Origins (which isnt even coming out till Fall now) and they dont even bother turning on the demo machine, when I asked the salesperson he said I was the first person who'd asked and that no one is buying it since the first week it came out. I read online that Nintendo wants the Wii U to be popular with hardcore gamers and yet it will be far weaker than the other 2 next gen systems which means it wont be easy to port games to it and few of the franchises for even the ps3/360 are coming out for the Wii U nevermind that it seems developers seem to have no interest for next generation games... it seems to me this console is going to be a colossal failure, but to be fair its early and I dont have one, so can someone who has one or is more informed tell me otherwise?

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

looks like flame bait to me...

if you think it doesn't have anything to offer. don't get it. If you feel that it'll have something to offer next year, then get it next year. it's like like the Wii U will die tomorrow so there's no need to rush to any kind of decision.

are you hoping that someone will persuade you to think otherwise? there are enough opinions in multiple threads here that people have said enough for you to know. it seems like you set up a set of rhetorical questions that no one can possibly answer to your satisfaction.

The Wii U is like going to die tomorrow!!?

YES Snag one quick WIATD!!! onlysublime is telling you not to rush because he wants them all for himself to sell years from now.

Oh wait....never mind, I think OS left a "not" out of the sentence. Sorry.

Yes I agree, get it if you want it, don't if you don't. That or flip a coin maybe.

looks like flame bait to me...

if you think it doesn't have anything to offer. don't get it. If you feel that it'll have something to offer next year, then get it next year. it's like like the Wii U will die tomorrow so there's no need to rush to any kind of decision.

are you hoping that someone will persuade you to think otherwise? there are enough opinions in multiple threads here that people have said enough for you to know. it seems like you set up a set of rhetorical questions that no one can possibly answer to your satisfaction.

I guess i wanted someone with a Wii U to get me excited about it. I think if it were flame bait i wouldnt go into how much i like Nintendo gaming. Im not out to bait anyone and i thought i made that clear in my post. all i hear is negative stuff. I want to hear some positive stuff because I know for years i heard a lot of damning reviews of Wii games for example when many were actually pretty fun... I get that not having one makes me a poor judge of the system, so I want your opinions as fellow nintendo gamers who do have the system. I probably wasnt clear enough because I was kinda venting all the negative stuff ive heard in hopes someone would reply with some positive reviews or other information i dont have. Im not asking you to sell me on the idea, just tell me what fun you are having with it.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

I got the Wii U for the wife. She mainly plays Super Mario U. Other than that......right now the games are been there done that if you have either a 360 or PS3. Had I wanted one for myself.....I would have waited for more 1st party titles. I hear Lego Undercover is good also. Waiting for the 3ds version.

The only reason you should ever buy a video game console is because there are games on it you are going to enjoy. If there aren't any games available for the Wii U you have no reason to buy it. It is that simple. That may change in the future but it is pointless to buy hardware now for what may be available in the future.

• Like 3

The Wii U is like going to die tomorrow!!?

YES Snag one quick WIATD!!! onlysublime is telling you not to rush because he wants them all for himself to sell years from now.

Oh wait....never mind, I think OS left a "not" out of the sentence. Sorry.

Yes I agree, get it if you want it, don't if you don't. That or flip a coin maybe.

LOL. I apologize to the grammar gods and the typing gods! sometimes my brain gets twisted. mea culpa!

Always remember, the Gods care little for apologies.

I'm still going to go out after work and snag a Wii U off the shelf of my local Wal-Mart (there are plenty) in case it turns out you have the gift of prophecy and don't know it.

Here are the reasons why I want a Wii U. And despite the small lineup of releases so far, I'm actually more excited for it despite all the doom and gloom than I was at this point in the life of the GCN and Wii...

Already released projects...

-LEGO City Undercover

-Need for Speed: Most Wanted U

-New Super Mario Bros. U

Games we already know about or can safely expect down the road (Not to mention scores of other well loved series like the recently revived Donkey Kong Country franchise)...

-3D Mario platformer

-Metroid

-Mario Kart

-Mario RPG

-Pikmin 3

-Wind Waker HD

-Zelda U

And in addition I'm pleased with the more traditional approach taken by Nintendo. The Wii U is without much of the nonsense we're busy speculating on in regards to the competition with things like requiring an always on internet connection, DRM crippled disc releases, and so on. And the return of traditional controls as the primary method of control also pleases me. And I see potential with the screen (in the middle of what is otherwise a modern and standard gamepad) as an additional display. Yet advances that make sense that benefit the customer like including a HDMI cable out of the box, leaving wired and tethered controllers fully behind, and non proprietary storage solutions are present.

And I have hopes that some classic Nintendo series that have been left idle recently will see new Wii U entries like Pilotwings and F-Zero, I'm hoping for more HD upgrades of classic GCN and Wii games, I'm looking forward to more 2nd and 3rd party exclusives down the road like Lego City Undercover was, and see potential with the HD Virtual Console (Although sadly I think it will be much more limited than the Wii counterpart was and I don't envision them actually fixing many of the issues that plagued it). And hopefully something like Pikmin was for the GameCube and Wii Sports was for the Wii will pop up and create a new 1st party Nintendo franchise that I care about. And I particularly like the nice job the Wii U does with handling 16:9 retail Wii releases enabling them to look attractive on any HD display.

Besides hoping for an uptick in their business and more compelling software options (both of which I think time will at least partially resolve their early struggles) the two biggest fixes I hope Nintendo impliments finally going forward is a true account based online system so our digital purchases aren't tied to the hardware they're purchased on and implimenting a 4:3/16:9 switch for Wii mode so 4:3 games aren't stuck being stretched right along with the anamorphic widescreen games (Allowing me to transfer my Wii VC library and actually be able to enjoy them which the Wii U as it stands today can't do since I will not play stretched classic games).

Edited by Atariboy

And to add an extra point, the only significant failure from our standpoint that I see so far is in the area of 3rd party support (Sure, they've screwed up elsewhere particularly with marketing but we're hardly typical consumers here and I dare say that marketing campaigns from videogame companies have little influence on us).

But that shouldn't come as a shock. After the Wii (Which still had plenty of software still worth playing) and with the latest console again being a generation behind in power, everyone must've realized that this situation was extremely likely. And as developers transition to the Xbox 720 and Playstation 4 and leave behind last generation technology, the situation was all but doomed anyways even if Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 ports were more common right now than they are.

Dragging the Wii U through the mud over the lack of 3rd party support strikes me as like complaining about fuel prices after buying the latest full sized pickup truck on the market. For those of you that already made the purchase or are considering a purchase, what did you really expect? Beyond 2 or 3 of the GameCube's best years on the marketplace we're fast approaching 20 years now since the 3rd party situation on a Nintendo console was last healthy and thriving.

This shouldn't be a surprise or news to anyone. You buy the latest Nintendo console to enjoy a new round of 1st and 2nd party releases. Anything else that may come along like the nicely done Need for Speed port the Wii U just recieved is just icing on the cake.

Edited by Atariboy

This shouldn't be a surprise or news to anyone. You buy the latest Nintendo console to enjoy a new round of 1st and 2nd party releases. Anything else that may come along like the nicely done Need for Speed port the Wii U just recieved is just icing on the cake.

That pretty much sums it up right there. Nintendo systems operate on a different level of logic: Third-parties will consider developing for a Nintendo system only if it sells well, and that is directly dependent on first-party software. I'm surprised Nintendo even tried to market the 3DS and the Wii U before their Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Pikmin/etc. games were ready. The equation seems simple enough:

1) Have some good Mario or Zelda game ready for the new console's launch.

2) People buy the system for the first-party games.

3) The installed userbase becomes high enough that it cannot be ignored by third-parties

4) Third-parties develop their own games for the new Nintendo console

5) The new console's library becomes diversified and successful

The other consoles don't have this dependence on first-party software, and since games are so expensive to produce today, developers prefer to invest their energies into the consoles that deliver better graphics, because in the age of YouTube, better graphics is what generates real hype for a game.

Just watch the YouTube footage of the X360 and Wii versions of Wolverine, and tell me which version you'd rather play. That tells the whole story right there.

And the sad thing is the glorious fully feature bowling game that took the simple gameplay of Wii Sports Bowling and extended it to its logical conclusion was never made. Damn you Wii and your amazing first year titles that were never surpassed.

It's going to be a insanely worse for them when the next Xbox and PS4 come out. I don't want to revert this thread to Nintendo's troubles again but I'm waiting things out with the Wii U mainly because as others have said, there's nothing on it I want and the only game that I want is now available for the 360\PS3 (NG Razors Edge).

I basically waited and picked up the game for the system I already own. I could care less about touchpad features in an action game like Ninja Gaiden. I was worried more about playing an action game with that big ass tablet controller.

I suspect another Wii U version in a few years like the DS-DSi-3DS just to boost sales.

Maybe a 3D-U? I just don't know what they can do with the few (if any) 1st party titles they will release every year.

If it wasn't for Christmas and generous parents, I probably wouldn't have the Wii-U right now. It has some good games on it, but not enough and it's really starving for more. The console itself is nice, I like the GUI and the controller is nice. It just needs more games to make the investment worthwhile.

I think how "insanely" worse will depend on how much DRM crap one will have to fiddle with with the next XBox and the PS4. If they make it really painful, it might give enough of a niche for the Wii U to survive. Of course, publishers may not decide to port games to the Wii U without painful DRM crap.

To answer the original question... it's like everyone said already. If you like some of the game out now, go get it. If not, hold off. It's not going anywhere. It will still be there a year from now, maybe with a price drop, a few more games, and maybe a discount on the launch games.

It's going to be a insanely worse for them when the next Xbox and PS4 come out. I don't want to revert this thread to Nintendo's troubles again but I'm waiting things out with the Wii U mainly because as others have said, there's nothing on it I want and the only game that I want is now available for the 360\PS3 (NG Razors Edge).

I basically waited and picked up the game for the system I already own. I could care less about touchpad features in an action game like Ninja Gaiden. I was worried more about playing an action game with that big ass tablet controller.

I suspect another Wii U version in a few years like the DS-DSi-3DS just to boost sales.

Maybe a 3D-U? I just don't know what they can do with the few (if any) 1st party titles they will release every year.

• Like 1

I do have to throw the history of the DS in to this conversation. IF anybody remembers, that was slow to get started too. Even though I bought it first day, I sold it, went away for two years and came back when DS Lite came out. I still play DS on the can every day. They may turn it around. Most certainly don't buy Nintendo products for the titles that they can play on the "grown up" systems.