IGNORED

VGA graded games and 3k prices?

Texas chainsaw massacre for is a highly collectable game. But your correct these prices are insane. My theory that someone is actually just bragging about what they got and just posting the price that it would take for them to part with the holy grail of their collection knowing all well that no one is going to pay that price. Check out this Craigslist post in my town. I told him if he thinks its worth that much then he can buy mine for $1000 and make a profit selling it.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/clt/3718352725.html I bought mine on clearance a Target for about $4.95 just cuz I wanted the joysticks. and my box is in better shape than his so maybe mines worth $3000

I also seen some VGA rated stuff SNES games on German ebay too, seller doesn't even mention they're NTSC, dipshits

Well, I guess it wouldn't really matter if you just want something to look at and the game is never getting played anyway.

• Like 1

Check out this Craigslist post in my town. I told him if he thinks its worth that much then he can buy mine for $1000 and make a profit selling it.

http://milwaukee.cra...3718352725.html I bought mine on clearance a Target for about $4.95 just cuz I wanted the joysticks. and my box is in better shape than his so maybe mines worth $3000

I actually saw that one, and literally LOLed when I found it. I should offer to sell him mine for $500 apiece!

I don't understand why people collect baseball cards, it's not like the players come out of the picture and play catch with you.

If that's not the stupidest analogy I've ever heard, it's pretty close.

No, baseball cards can't "play catch with you", and weren't designed to do so. Unlike video games, they can only be looked at and really don't (and can't) serve any other purpose. Sports cards were mostly designed to be collected and displayed in books, whereas video games were designed to be played. From a purely utilitarian perspective, grading and slabbing a baseball card does not interfere with it's primary function, but it renders a video game pretty much worthless.

But of course, even considering both equally as just collectibles, there's much more to it than utility (or lack thereof). Sports cards (and also stamps, comics) are simple items made of paper and grading them is a fairly simple process. For instance, all sports cards have is a front and a back, so nothing is really hidden from view. What you see is what you get. Even things like carded action figures can be graded without opening them because you can still see the contents. On the other hand, VGA-graded games are a ruse because the only part that is being considered for "grading" is the outside packaging and the shrinkwrap (which is technically not even a part of the item). What about the rest? How do you know that the game works? How do you know that the manual doesn't have misprints or that it's not damaged or missing entirely? Et cetera.

Would anyone grade a comic book just by looking at the cover? Certainly not. For that reason alone, graded games are completely different from just about any other graded collectible. Now, if VGA was actually grading unsealed games by looking at all the contents separately (box, cartridge, manual, etc)...that I could see some legitimate use for. But as it exists, VGA is simply something for neurotic, OCD-infected collectors obsessed with having something with a perfect piece of shrinkwrap on it. (Of course, nevermind the fact that shrinkwrap itself tends to shrink over time and often warps or damages the item that it's supposed to be protecting...)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hmmm so if I drop a VGA graded case in the water, it can ruin what's inside by a lot? Be funny if someone tries to list a VGA graded game that was fished out of Mississippi river after all those flooding that still bears 95 rating but looks like (and smells like) a block of turd.

Maybe I should try to snag the cheapest VGA graded game that is 90+, drop it in my backyard pond, get it back in a few months, and sell it as rare VGA 90+ graded glob of mud and dead shrimps.

• Like 1

Hmmm so if I drop a VGA graded case in the water, it can ruin what's inside by a lot? Be funny if someone tries to list a VGA graded game that was fished out of Mississippi river after all those flooding that still bears 95 rating but looks like (and smells like) a block of turd.

Maybe I should try to snag the cheapest VGA graded game that is 90+, drop it in my backyard pond, get it back in a few months, and sell it as rare VGA 90+ graded glob of mud and dead shrimps.

:grin:

First off, I agree that VGA is not needed.

With that stated, what is to stop anyone else from making their own grading organization? Lets start one and call it EEGO (pronounced "ego" :grin: ) "Electronic Entertainment Grading Organization". We can charge cheaper rates and we can easily make certificates of authenticity's of each game we grade. Heck, you don't even have to send us the game. Just need a few high res pictures and the $20.00 (via paypal of course) fee and we will have our grading "experts" give your pictures the once over and then we will send you your official EEGO grading certificate.

BTW, Does VGA issue unique processing numbers for each game they grade and if so, do they keep a master list of every game they grade that can be searched from their website online? If not, then VGA is really a big waste of time energy and money, because anyone could then fake VGA rated games.

First off, I agree that VGA is not needed.

With that stated, what is to stop anyone else from making their own grading organization? Lets start one and call it EEGO (pronounced "ego" :grin: ) "Electronic Entertainment Grading Organization". We can charge cheaper rates and we can easily make certificates of authenticity's of each game we grade. Heck, you don't even have to send us the game. Just need a few high res pictures and the $20.00 (via paypal of course) fee and we will have our grading "experts" give your pictures the once over and then we will send you your official EEGO grading certificate.

BTW, Does VGA issue unique processing numbers for each game they grade and if so, do they keep a master list of every game they grade that can be searched from their website online? If not, then VGA is really a big waste of time energy and money, because anyone could then fake VGA rated games.

EGGO seems like a great idea. If we knew someone to supply the cases I wouldn't mind trying to start a company that takes money from "dumbasses" to make a little extra on the side :lol: I wonder where the VGA gets their cases from.