IGNORED

Confused by a broken 800 space bar!

minty

Hi all!

I've just taken delivery of a second 800, which I'm trying to repair. The very first thinhg that happened is the space bar fell off - and left me confused. I've attached a picture of it - it looks nothing like the keyboard on my other 800, which looks much more like the one for sale here on ebay, with three distinct sections (left, middle and right 'arms'). I also discovered this set of pictures, which looks different again - http://www.the-liber...0-rev-a-pal.htm - but that might be just how it was taken apart.

Are the various keyboards compatible with each other? Could I buy the one on ebay and use it to replace my broken one, or are the cables different? or worse?

Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ!

Many thanks in advance.

post-34451-0-07237400-1366207189_thumb.jpg

800 keyboard switches are hard to fix (see my recent experiences), but this one looks like the main plunger has snapped and the metal support arm (which clips into the white plastic bits) has fallen off. If you can repair the plunger and replace the bar, you might be ok. Otherwise it's specific 800 replacement keyboard time.

What you have is a very late production Mitsumi keyboard for the 800. Mitsumi made the awesome keyboard for the 1200XL and Atari's last 800's in 1983 shipped with the "quiet", glossy black and 1200XL like Mitsumi keyboards. I'm pretty sure the Mitsumi and Stackpole 800 keyboards are not compatible. One has a different mechanical spring feedback and the Mitsumi uses a carbon mylar film with conductive traces. Your best bet is a form/fit/function replacement. I'd go with a Stackpole keyboard. I personally like the Mitsumi's soft and quiet feel, but they have proven to be unreliable over the long years (carbon traces crack and lose continuity).

Edited by ACML

Thanks for your help everyone - are all keyboards the same in terms of how they plug into the motherboard? Could I buy any 800 keyboard I spot on ebay and presume it will work in my machine (ie. the cable will plug in, mounting screws will be in the same place, etc?).

Thanks for your help everyone - are all keyboards the same in terms of how they plug into the motherboard? Could I buy any 800 keyboard I spot on ebay and presume it will work in my machine (ie. the cable will plug in, mounting screws will be in the same place, etc?).

According to myatari.com the later 800 keyboards came with reverse polarity connectors compared to the original ones, I haven't verified this myself.

PRA031 KEYBOARD 800 (NEW) Female Conn 48.00 Newer female connector
PRA031O KEYBOARD 800 (NEW) Male Conn 50.00 Original male connector

I think your only issue is the old original 800 keyboards with the male connector. I'm pretty sure any 800 keyboard with a female connector on the end of the ribbon cable will work.