IGNORED

How come there hasn't been any new Apple II games in like 10+ years?

PDog

apple II's produce a quite not right signal that most monitors will deal with, if they are old

My Apple ][ ( Serial # A2S1-25422 ) is Worse than all my Apple ][e's...

I should put an Oscilloscope on it and my Apple ][e's and see what the difference is...

Well, my Apple ][ has some Technical Issues, most Important is a Poor Quality Video Signal..

My Composite to VGA Adapter is having a Hard Time getting a Sync...

See Apple ][ Video Test #2.

I seem to remember that the Apple /// Monitor is much more "forgiving".. I will need to plug it in to that Monitor and Test again...

What exactly does the Failure of the Sync Program display???

The worst case failure is that there's absolutely nothing changing on screen when running. More subtle issues will cause the timing of the changing character to alter; it should toggle between regular and inverted characters once every two seconds and that looks how i'd expect it to.

Thanks very much for taking the time to run the test, record the videos and even remove the mouse card. =-)

The worst case failure is that there's absolutely nothing changing on screen when running.

OK.. Not a Problem there.. All my tests with the Enhanced //e and the Apple ][ show a change on the Screen..

More subtle issues will cause the timing of the changing character to alter; it should toggle between regular and inverted characters once every two seconds and that looks how i'd expect it to.

On the Apple ][, it looks to be about every 1.5 to 2 Seconds.. On the Enhanced //e, it looks to be about half of that time... I know I don't have an Accelerator in either one... ( I do own an Original Zip-Chip 4Mhz, which still works, and an Appli-Card, which I haven't determined if it works or not )

Thanks very much for taking the time to run the test, record the videos and even remove the mouse card. =-)

Not a Problem... The Videos let you see "exactly", what you are looking for, without me "interpreting" what it looks like.. The Mouse was an After Thought, because it has a 6522, which can effect Timing on to Apple ]['s, I wasn't sure if it would "skew" your results..

Very interesting you has ZIP chip 4Mhz on Apple //e. I have 1 question, does will my ZIP chip(for llc) work on Apple //e Platinum as well ?

If what you have is a regular //c with a Zip Chip in it will run in just about any Apple II, with the exception of the GS. If you have an Apple //c+ then you can't take out he Zip Chip because Apple broke the Zip Chip up into a couple different pieces.

Very interesting you has ZIP chip 4Mhz on Apple //e. I have 1 question, does will my ZIP chip(for llc) work on Apple //e Platinum as well ?

The Zip-Chip I bought was a 65c02 Clocked at 4Mhz, with a Tag Cache and some other Logic to accommodate the Apple ][ Computer's I/O Areas. It should work in any Apple][, ][+, //e, or //c..

I have noticed the Overheating Issue, even thought I used a Cool+Time Fan... For Functional Reasons, I would like to remove the Plastic Over-Case from the chip, it appears to be Ceramic on the Underside of the package, but I am worried about Breaking One or Both Parts..

<< SNIP >>

( I do own an Original Zip-Chip 4Mhz, which still works, and an Appli-Card, which I haven't determined if it works or not )

<< SNIP >>

Oops!!! The AppliCard is a Z80 Card for CP/M... I have a Number Nine ( AKA Saturn Systems or Titan Systems ) for Speeding Up the Apple ][..

• 3 weeks later...

How long is your Code?? A small Assembly Language routine can be typed into a Real Apple, also a Bootable Disk Image can be made and Downloaded and Transfered to your favorite Apple..

I have some real Hardware.. My Apple ][ will run for a few minutes before freezing. My Apple ][+ needs some Hardware Transplants, and I have a bunch of Apple ][e, both Enhansed and Not Enhansed, and Two Apple ][+, ][e Mice..

I've got some code around that will generate a WAV file that can be used to load in to a II/II+/IIe via the tape interface. I've actually loaded code from my iPad to my IIe this way. There is also a website around that has a bunch of games for the II in tape format.

Programming the Apple II is nice because the machine doesn't impose a lot of machine personality on you. You are responsible for everything that goes on.

The Apple II is really just a 6502 with just enough logic in place to get something to the display. The later 8-bits (C64 and Atari) were all about their custom hardware and the 6502 is just the conductor.

Two very different approaches, but both nice in their own ways.

I will say this, to get good results out of the Apple, you really have to be good with 6502 assembly. It's also a simpler system to understand completely. The Atari and C64 are tougher to get started with, but have way more potential on the higher end.

Personally, I like the challenge of the Apple II - figuring out how to get the II to do something is really cool because its almost purely a figure out the best way to do something with just the CPU. But if I was trying to make a game rather than a demo, I would probably stick with the Atari or C64 - you spend less time trying to figure out tricks in software and more time making a game.

The Apple II is really just a 6502 with just enough logic in place to get something to the display. The later 8-bits (C64 and Atari) were all about their custom hardware and the 6502 is just the conductor.

You can treat either machine like an Apple II if you want to though, the hardware is just an option rather than a requirement.

The Atari and C64 are tougher to get started with, but have way more potential on the higher end.

i'd have said it was the other way around personally, the early steps of getting a simple game going (i'm a great believer in programming guides that give new programmers something visual to prove their code is working) are easier on a machine with hardware sprites and a text-based screen where the characters can be redefined. i've recently found the Apple II tricky personally with quite a few years of 6502 experience, learning the C64 with almost no experience at all was comparatively easy and even something like getting a vertical blank sync has been... uphill. =-)

• 3 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Did Alien Downpour come out? It was supposed to be out April 16th 2017 but the page has not been updated.

Michael is just Finalizing it... He has reached the Point that DOS Has to Go...

Follow the Moment by Moment updates at Apple Graphics and Arcade Game Design Enthusiasts.

( Disclaimer: I was a Hardware Contributor to Michael, and get Named in the Credits, so I might be biased.. )

MarkO

• 2 weeks later...

Michael is just Finalizing it... He has reached the Point that DOS Has to Go...

Follow the Moment by Moment updates at Apple Graphics and Arcade Game Design Enthusiasts.

( Disclaimer: I was a Hardware Contributor to Michael, and get Named in the Credits, so I might be biased.. )

MarkO

You must sign up for Facebook to read. ugh.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe too many people are aware of DogFighters of Mars 2... the sequel to the 2012 Apple II game. Its only a 1 stage demo... but quite a showcase of the best 1bit audio during gameplay... a full soundtrack with voice over announcements... yes while animation is occurring. No extra soundchips required... utilizing the SFX 1bit multitasking audio engine. Requires a 128kb system... Arrow keys fly, space bar shoots, but only after the puzzle section. There are two versions in the download... skip the early and only play the FINAL edition. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mp8sm0t5x9g4tde/DogFighter%202%20Game.zip?dl=0

• Like 1