IGNORED

need help picking a joystick

George35

So, I've decided to attempt to build my first arcade controller, and am in need of some advice. First, can anyone tell me what the difference between the Happ Ultimate, and Competition sticks is? And second, I've also been partial to the short ball topped sticks used on pac-man and galaga cabinets; does anyone know where I can find one like that? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

I have Comps on my cabinet and I'm hard pressed to level a single complaint at them. Granted, I'm not some big arcade afficionado who has certain expectations on how the joystick on such and such game should be; I'm just some guy who loves to play old arcade games on MAME.

I've read a lot about it and the general consensus seems to be you need to select your joystick based on the games you like to play most. Shoot-em-ups, fighters, golden age classics, etc. all have different types of sticks that are favored. Any general purpose MAME rig is by definition going to be a compromise, so you have to choose sticks that are the best overall fit for what you like to play, and just accept that the sticks will be better on some games than on others.

• 2 weeks later...