IGNORED

Video Reflex ROM

toymailman

If you are seeing numbers instead of Roman numerals, then that means an alternate rom exists. I have no idea if it is rare or common. The dump out there uses Roman numerals.

If you ever get the opportunity, maybe bring it to a gaming convention and somebody will dump it for you. I would be curious to see what the differences are in the rom myself.

Finally, congrats on getting the box (It's not easy!). I hope it's in minty shape, and you got it for a good price.

If you are seeing numbers instead of Roman numerals, then that means an alternate rom exists. I have no idea if it is rare or common. The dump out there uses Roman numerals.

If you ever get the opportunity, maybe bring it to a gaming convention and somebody will dump it for you. I would be curious to see what the differences are in the rom myself.

Finally, congrats on getting the box (It's not easy!). I hope it's in minty shape, and you got it for a good price.

The box is in okay shape (not minty) and on this title I really don't know what a good price is. I've never seen it come up for auction before.

For the game, there are no numbers at all. It just makes three beeps with no visual countdown. I'll be at the Portland show in early October. If someone is there with dumping abilities then I'll be happy to bring it. :)

I've seen a couple of boxed Foot Craz over the last 8 or 9 years. Someone had a CIB one at CinciClassic for $900. I probably would have bought this one had it not been tax season. The price was fair given the condition of everything.

Cool. I didn't have a feel for price, but knew I wanted it and had recently sold a bunch of stuff to pay for it. :)

Yes, if possible, please dump the ROM. AFAIK there only exist one dump containing the Roman numbers countdown.

Will do, could I send it to ya for dumping? I assume there is no damage to the cart in the process?

There is no damage to the cart in dumping it. I would help you, but right now I don't have any of my dumpers with me. I plan to get them sometime over the summer. I'm not planning to go to Portland, although it is reasonably close by. I think it's about a 3% chance right now. If I do I'd certainly be glad to do the deed.

Dumb question here, but are we sure that this isn't something that's controlled by difficulty switch or something? I'd be surprised if they made two different ROMs for Video Reflex as the company was small and the game was on the market for a very short amount of time. It's possible, but it still seems very odd.

I took a brief look, and the left difficulty is read, but what it does I'm not sure. I tried different combinations of switches and couldn't make the Roman numerals disappear. I believe the rom Toymailman has is different, especially since he has another cart to compare it with.

True.

Well, a ROM dump would give the answer.

Would be interesting to discover that there's a different release out there.

8)

Dumb question here, but are we sure that this isn't something that's controlled by difficulty switch or something? I'd be surprised if they made two different ROMs for Video Reflex as the company was small and the game was on the market for a very short amount of time. It's possible, but it still seems very odd.

I wouldnt be suprised if it is different. The company went to the trouble of releasing a PAL version, so two different NTSC versions are not out of the question. Maybe Riffraff can test the remaining copies he has to see if he has any with roman numerals....

I wouldnt be suprised if it is different. The company went to the trouble of releasing a PAL version, so two different NTSC versions are not out of the question. Maybe Riffraff can test the remaining copies he has to see if he has any with roman numerals....

PAL version?

Show me.

8)

I recently won a boxed Video Jogger/Reflex and fired it up. For Video Reflex I noticed there is no roman numeral countdown when a game is started whereas my other cart has this. Is one version more rare than the other or are they about the same?

Oh great, first we have a rare version, and now an uber elite rariade one. Shit.

Oh great, first we have a rare version, and now an uber elite rariade one. Shit.

We dont know how rare it is. I bet most people that buy it buy it loose, and therefore cant really play it. They would test it, see that it works and put it aside, not noticing what lettering is used. If we took a poll of all owners, it may shed some light on how rare it actually is, especially riffraff's copies, if he still has many of them....

I can dump it if you don't mind mailing it out.

Mitch

Cool Mitch, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to mail it to ya. Glad to help the Atari community! :)

Also, could you dump a couple other carts I have? I have some NTSC Brazil carts I'd like to get the ROM for to "harmonize" with my other ROMs. Its games like Squirrel, Mission 3000 AD etc. Unless the NTSC versions are already dumped somewhere. I looked at one time but did not find them.

Thank you to Mitch for dumping the ROM. It is unique and is below.

VideoReflex.bin

I also sent him some other carts I had. Some were Taiwan - Cooper Black NTSC ROMS that I did not find in the Atarimania database. Another one was a Dactar 4-in-1 cart. It turns out that Defender on the 4-in-1 was also unique. They are all below.

Taiwan - Cooper Black

Bobbyisgoinghome.bin

Mission3000AD.bin

OpenSesame.bin

Squirrel.bin

TankMission.bin

Dactar 4-in-1

MysteriousThief1.bin

Adventure2.bin

Bobbyisgoinghome3.bin

Defender4.bin

Kudos to toymailman and Mitch!! :)

Looking at the roms, the version that toymailman dumped came later. The code was inserted into the existing rom. This is demonstrated by the new jump resulting in an left over operand "0".

LF5EB:
 lda  LF088,X
 sta.wy ram_A1,Y
 inx
 iny
 cpy  #$0C
 bne  LF5EB
IF ROMAN_NUM
 ldx  ram_D3
 ldy  #$00
ELSE
 jmp  LFF99
 .byte 0  ; <--- left over from LDY #0
ENDIF
LF5FB:
 lda  LF088,X
 sta.wy ram_AD,Y
 inx
 iny

There is a large section of code from $FF98-$FFFB that Stella couldn't resolve. It looks like code, but some of it makes no sense at all. I found a lot of garbage bytes in Video Reflex to begin with scattered all over the place. At $FF99 the new routine appears:

IF ROMAN_NUM
 .byte $AD ; |X X XX X| $FF99
 .byte $F6 ; |XXXX XX | $FF9A
 .byte $FF ; |XXXXXXXX| $FF9B
 .byte $EE ; |XXX XXX | $FF9C
 .byte $F5 ; |XXXX X X| $FF9D
 .byte $FF ; |XXXXXXXX| $FF9E
 jmp  LF000
ELSE
LFF99:
 ldx  ram_D3
 ldy  #$00
 sta  WSYNC
;---------------------------------------
 jmp  LF5FB
ENDIF

Another change that was made was not to use the Roman Numeral graphics:

;$F950
 ldy  #$09
 sty  ram_D9
 ldy  ram_D9
 lda  LF83C,Y
IF ROMAN_NUM
 sta  ram_D2  ; use ROMAN_NUM III, II, I
ELSE
 cmp  ram_D2  ; do nothing, preserve current blank graphics
ENDIF
 lda  #$FF
 sta  ram_80
 lda  #$FF
 sta  ram_81

LF83C:
 .byte $00 ;  $F83C
 .byte $0C ;  $F83D
 .byte $18 ;  $F83E
 .byte $24 ;  $F83F
 .byte $30 ;  $F840
 .byte $3C ;  $F841
 .byte $48 ;  $F842
 .byte $54 ;  $F843  use ROMAN_NUM I
 .byte $60 ;  $F844  use ROMAN_NUM II
 .byte $6C ;  $F845  use ROMAN_NUM III
 .byte $78 ;  $F846
 .byte $84 ;  $F847
 .byte $90 ;  $F848
 .byte $29 ;  $F849

Finally, there was one more value changed from 12 to 11, but I didn't investigate that. From this real quick and dirty comparison though, I would definitely say toymailman's rom came later (came afterward). My rough disassembly is below. You can compile both versions.

VideoReflex.zip

There is a large section of code from $FF98-$FFFB that Stella couldn't resolve. It looks like code, but some of it makes no sense at all. I found a lot of garbage bytes in Video Reflex to begin with scattered all over the place.

Could be code for another game (or even system). Probably the ROM was reused, but not completely erased before.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch