IGNORED

Top 15 Favorite Multiplayer Games of All-Time

I understand that this is actually a very difficult list to create... I'm just curious, because I'm always looking for more amazing multiplayer games to play! =)

For any system(s), what are your all-time favorite multiplayer (2-4+ people) games?

For me,

1. Timesplitters 2 - Nintendo Gamecube

2. Mario Kart: Double Dash - Nintendo Gamecube

3. Twisted Metal 2 - Sony Playstation

4. NHL Open Ice - Sony Playstation

5. Contra - NES

6. Pac Man Vs. - Nintendo Gamecube

7. General Chaos - Sega Genesis

8. Bonanza Bros - Sega Genesis

9. River City Ransom - NES

10. Alien Storm - Sega Genesis

11. Life Force - NES

12. Jackal - NES

13. Toe Jam & Earl - Sega Genesis

14. Bubble Bobble - NES

15. Legend of the Mystical Ninja - Super Nintendo

I'm sure I'll create a more full list later on, but I notice that Goldeneye and Ballblazer aren't in your list.

I also note that street fighter ii is multiplayer... Though in my opinion for fighting games, Mark of the Wolves and Capcom Vs SNK 2 have it well beat.

iRacing may be modern, but it cranks multiplayer up extremely high. Higher than console racers do.

Edited by Reaperman

1. Global Defence force - Playstation 2

2. Timesplitters- Playstation 2

3. Air-Sea Battle - Atari 2600

4. Bio Hazzard Battle - Sega Megadrive

5. Tekken 3 - Playstation 1

6. Pokemon R/B/Y/G/S via link-up Gameboy

7. Super skidmarks - Amiga

8. Micro Machines Amiga or Megadrive

9. Indy 500 - Atari 2600

10. Warlords - Atari 2600

11. Rainbow Islands - Amiga

12. Parasol Stars - Amiga

That's all for now, maybe update when I have woken up properly!

1. Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyperfighting (Arcade or SNES)

2. Super Mario Kart (SNES)

3. NHL '94 (Genesis)

---------------------------------------------------

4. Snow Bros. (Arcade, Genesis)

5. Bubble Bobble (Arcade, NES)

6. Contra (Arcade? NES)

7. Double Dragon (Arcade)

8. Gauntlet (Arcade)

9. QuakeWorld (PC)

10. Tetris (GameBoy)

11. Utopia (Intellivision)

12. Track and Field (Arcade)

13. Winter Games (C64)

14. Scorched Earth (PC)

15. Pong.

My list is the best list. QED.

Hmmm real quick and not really in order but.

Goldeneye....... surprised this didn't show up more often

Bubble Bobble

Mario Kart

Ninja Turtles the Arcade game......... Id retire if I had those quarters back

NHL 95....... Still had fighting

Mortal Kombat 2

Mario 3

Contra

Tecmo bowl

Baseball stars

Tetris GameBoy.............. or Ti calc wasted a lot of time in high school with that one

Street Fighter 2 Genesis

Duke Nukem 3D ........... wow almost forgot that one

Warcraft 3 ......... more intelligent then WOW and free

DodgeBall

That's was a rough list to decide on. Its not in order cuz that would probably be harder then picking your favorite child.

Streets of Rage 2 (Sega Genesis)

Dungeon Explorer (TurboGrafx 16)

Golden Axe (Sega Genesis)

Golden Axe 2 (Sega Genesis)

Knights of the Round (SNES or arcade)

DOA 2: Hardcore (PS2)

House of the Dead (any)

Metal Slug (probably any, though I haven't played all)

AD&D Gold Box games (we would actually sit and wait for like 10-20 minutes for battles to load on my old Tandy 1000EX)

Dungeons & Dragons Collection (Saturn, and soon to be on Xbox 360 or PS3)

Goldeneye (N64)

Street Fighter II: Championship Edition (arcade)

X-Men (arcade)

Captain America and the Avengers (we played it when the X-Men arcade cabinet wasn't available)

The Simpsons (arcade)

I have to admit that my list is heavily influenced by nostalgia; however, Streets of Rage 2 remains a game that I can play through over and over either with or without friends and enjoy myself. It's just that good.

After giving it some serious thought and trying not to duplicate any of the other very worthy selections made in the thread, a favourite 15 emerges of much-loved multiplayer games:

- Rampart, SNES

- Super Smash Bros. Melee, GCN

- QuadSmash, XBLIG

- Worms Armageddon, PC

- M.U.L.E., NES

- Poy Poy, PSX

- Secret of Mana, SNES

- F-Zero X, N64

- Triple Action (for Biplanes, mainly), INTV

- King of the Monsters 2, SNES

- We Love Katamari, PS2

- Hunter: The Reckoning, Xbox

- StarCraft: Brood War, PC

- TMNT IV: Turtles In Time, SNES

- Super Mario Kart 64, N64

Streets of Rage 2 (Sega Genesis)

Dungeon Explorer (TurboGrafx 16)

Golden Axe (Sega Genesis)

Golden Axe 2 (Sega Genesis)

Knights of the Round (SNES or arcade)

DOA 2: Hardcore (PS2)

House of the Dead (any)

Metal Slug (probably any, though I haven't played all)

AD&D Gold Box games (we would actually sit and wait for like 10-20 minutes for battles to load on my old Tandy 1000EX)

Dungeons & Dragons Collection (Saturn, and soon to be on Xbox 360 or PS3)

Goldeneye (N64)

Street Fighter II: Championship Edition (arcade)

X-Men (arcade)

Captain America and the Avengers (we played it when the X-Men arcade cabinet wasn't available)

The Simpsons (arcade)

I have to admit that my list is heavily influenced by nostalgia; however, Streets of Rage 2 remains a game that I can play through over and over either with or without friends and enjoy myself. It's just that good.

And what a soundtrack!

No love for The Adventures of Cookies and Cream?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n09r7VB_BZE

That is an interesting game, never had a PS2 so I'm not familiar with many of the games... it reminds me of some of the mini-games on Mario Party 4 (I'm not positive of the number...) for the Gamecube where its split screen just like that and each person has to move a certain obstacle before the other person can advance.

It's a fun concept and it's cool to see a game fully implement it!

• 1 month later...

1. Team Buddies (PS1)

2. Time Splitters 2 (PS2)

3. Double Dragon (SMS)

4. Any Sims game (Any platform)

5. Monopoly (PS1)

6. Dodge Em (2600)

7. Surround (2600)

8. Bonanza Bros (Genesis)

9. Gauntlet (Arcade)

10. The Lost Vikings (SNES)

11. Splat! (Arcade)

12. Cool Boarders 4 (PS1)

13. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2

14. Backyard Wrestling (PS2)

15. Eye Toy Play (PS2)

No particular order:

Genesis:

Captain America and the Avengers

Gunstar Heroes

Mega Bomberman

Lethal Enforcers I and II

Forgotten Worlds

Nes:

Super C

Off Road

Lifeforce

Ms. Pac Man by Tengen

Joust

Snes:

Super Bomberman

TMNT IV

Sunset Riders

Saturn:

Guardian Heroes <----- One of my all-time favorites!

Sega Rally

X-Men VS Street Fighter (import)

Madden 97 <---- The last time I liked a Madden.

Dreamcast:

Gauntlet Legends

Hydro Thunder

Daytona USA

Cannon Spike

Phantasy Star Online

Gamecube:

Smash Bros Melee

Pac Man VS

Mario Kart (system link)

XBox:

Halo (system link)

• Like 1

No particular order:

Genesis:

Captain America and the Avengers

Gunstar Heroes

Mega Bomberman

Lethal Enforcers I and II

Forgotten Worlds

Nes:

Super C

Off Road

Lifeforce

Ms. Pac Man by Tengen

Joust

Snes:

Super Bomberman

TMNT IV

Sunset Riders

Saturn:

Guardian Heroes <----- One of my all-time favorites!

Sega Rally

X-Men VS Street Fighter (import)

Madden 97 <---- The last time I liked a Madden.

Dreamcast:

Gauntlet Legends

Hydro Thunder

Daytona USA

Cannon Spike

Phantasy Star Online

Gamecube:

Smash Bros Melee

Pac Man VS

Mario Kart (system link)

XBox:

Halo (system link)

I take it that you've played Mario Kart Double Dash Lan Mode then? I've been dying to try it, I just got all of the hardware and now I just need to get 7 friends together and make it happen! :D

I'm not familiar with Xbox... is Halo's system link 8 player also? Or is it just to link up so that each player has their own tv?

I take it that you've played Mario Kart Double Dash Lan Mode then? I've been dying to try it, I just got all of the hardware and now I just need to get 7 friends together and make it happen! :D

I'm not familiar with Xbox... is Halo's system link 8 player also? Or is it just to link up so that each player has their own tv?

Mario Kart DD is a blast in lan mode. I wish more games supported lan now rather than online only. I love having my own screen per player rather than split screen.

Halo is 16 player lan with 4 players per console with a max of 4 networked systems. We used to have friends over every weekend for 8 on 8 team matches. We played Blood Gulch and Sidewinder maps the most. Kart and Halo ruled our lan parties. Miss those get togethers so much! Online play will never be as much fun as getting that many friends together for a huge lan party.

• Like 2

Mario Kart DD is a blast in lan mode. I wish more games supported lan now rather than online only. I love having my own screen per player rather than split screen.

Halo is 16 player lan with 4 players per console with a max of 4 networked systems. We used to have friends over every weekend for 8 on 8 team matches. We played Blood Gulch and Sidewinder maps the most. Kart and Halo ruled our lan parties. Miss those get togethers so much! Online play will never be as much fun as getting that many friends together for a huge lan party.

That's SO awesome! I'm TOTALLY jealous that you got to experience all that!!

And I completely agree, I'd much rather have friends over and play locally than play against people online. :)

We used to have the wires run through the house so the teams of 8 were in seperate rooms. We'd taunt down the halls and accuse people of spying when they'd walk by for pizza. It was the best! When we would start to lose players, we'd set up the cubes for Kart and play some Capcom Vs SNK 2 on my arcade cabinet that had a Dreamcast wired up in it. Those were the best weekends ever!

Last week I dragged my 32X to work and let my students play 4 player Mega Bomberman in my journalism lab. That game still holds up great. My semester final was a portfolio so they were all done early. I had to apologize a couple of times to neighboring classrooms for the noise, but it was worth it. :)

• Like 1

Hmmm... I'd love to add some Atari games to this list, but I'm the only one in my circle with any interest in the 2600... :_(

So... most of my list comes from the N64:

The New Tetris (N64) -- #1 multiplayer game among my group. MUCH time was spent on this one.

F-Zero X (N64)

Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

Marvel vs. Capcom (PS2) -- the fighting game that everyone would play

Contra (NES)

TMNT 2: The Arcade Game (NES)

X-Men 6-Player (Arcade/Xbox Live)

Castle Crashers (Xbox Live)

WarioWare (Gamecube/Wii)

Ribbit King (Gamecube) -- Had more fun with this one than we should have

Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)

WWF No Mercy (N64)

Street Fighter 2 Turbo (SNES)

Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

Wii Sports (Wii) -- Say what you will... we ALL spent a fair amount of time playing this one.

• Like 1

We used to have the wires run through the house so the teams of 8 were in seperate rooms. We'd taunt down the halls and accuse people of spying when they'd walk by for pizza. It was the best! When we would start to lose players, we'd set up the cubes for Kart and play some Capcom Vs SNK 2 on my arcade cabinet that had a Dreamcast wired up in it. Those were the best weekends ever!

Last week I dragged my 32X to work and let my students play 4 player Mega Bomberman in my journalism lab. That game still holds up great. My semester final was a portfolio so they were all done early. I had to apologize a couple of times to neighboring classrooms for the noise, but it was worth it. :)

Haha, very good that you are educating the youth on some classic bomberman action! I'm curious though, why bring the 32X with the Genesis? Mega Bomberman is just a regular Sega Genesis game. I ask because my 32X has always been super finicky, if I even bump the darn thing the wrong way, the video goes all hayware. So I've always been careful to not move it and end up "poking the bear" when it comes to it. lol

Hmmm... I'd love to add some Atari games to this list, but I'm the only one in my circle with any interest in the 2600... :_(

So... most of my list comes from the N64:

The New Tetris (N64) -- #1 multiplayer game among my group. MUCH time was spent on this one.

F-Zero X (N64)

Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

Marvel vs. Capcom (PS2) -- the fighting game that everyone would play

Contra (NES)

TMNT 2: The Arcade Game (NES)

X-Men 6-Player (Arcade/Xbox Live)

Castle Crashers (Xbox Live)

WarioWare (Gamecube/Wii)

Ribbit King (Gamecube) -- Had more fun with this one than we should have

Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)

WWF No Mercy (N64)

Street Fighter 2 Turbo (SNES)

Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

Wii Sports (Wii) -- Say what you will... we ALL spent a fair amount of time playing this one.

I've NEVER heard of Ribbit King...

Haha, very good that you are educating the youth on some classic bomberman action! I'm curious though, why bring the 32X with the Genesis? Mega Bomberman is just a regular Sega Genesis game. I ask because my 32X has always been super finicky, if I even bump the darn thing the wrong way, the video goes all hayware. So I've always been careful to not move it and end up "poking the bear" when it comes to it. lol

I have two 32Xs. One is perched on an original Genesis High Def Graphics Altered Beast pack in system with a model 2 CD and the other on a model 2 also with a CD2; I've never had the finnicky problem. Mine has the metal teeth inserted though so maybe that makes it more stable? Mine are all first owner; maybe I'm just lucky. I'm one of those wierdos that like to play the X. A couple of my teacher buddies came by during my break for some Virtua Fighter and Mortal Kombat II. I got a Gamecube power supply mod from AX so hooking all three up is really easy.

That and I like to see the looks on my kids faces when I show them the ultimate Frankenstein system! "Mr. G, that thing is crazy looking!" I laughed so hard when one of them said that! What is better was the EA multitap hanging off the front made it look like it was on life support!

I'm the original owner of my 32X as well and I have the metal teeth inserted into my Sega also. It's the Model 1 Genesis though, so I don't know if that's part of the issue or if its just a lemon product but It's always given me trouble. If I ever unhook it or move it around a lot it will usually take me days to get the thing to work properly again. Kind of a shame really...

Back in the day I LOVED the 32X... I'd show all of my friends how awesome Shadow Squadron, Virtua Racing Deluxe, WWF Arcade Game, Virtua Fighter, and Zaxxon's Motherbase were... but I rarely play it anymore...

I'm more of an Atari 7800 and Gamecube advocate now. :)

Hmm. Have you tried cleaning the Sega's contacts? I cover an old gift card with a cut up t shirt in rubbing alcohol and scrub the cart slots contacts and clean the 32X's bottom connector with rubbing alcohol and a qtip.

I love my 7800 and Gamecube too! I'm on a big NES and Turbografx kick lately, but I go in cycles.