IGNORED

atari 5200 4 port power regulator broken

soviet

Hello, i bought an atari 5200 4 port nice machine but the seller didn't packaged the console very well.

So the console arrived broken, on the motherboard the psu 3 pint power regulator is break in half.

I need to know what IC i could get as replacement for it.

Checked the 5200 schematic i believe is a LM340T5 but not sure the handwritten text on the schematic is hard to read, also i don't know this part could be found this days.

Attached pictures of the part is the main regulator directly attached to the big heat sink on the upper right corner of the board.

Thanks. :grin:

post-23505-0-04631900-1366669997_thumb.jpg

post-23505-0-06667800-1366670000_thumb.jpg

My regulator on my 5200 says LM340t5 7805

In the atari 5200 field service manual VR1 is a 78M05 (5V). The Atari part number is C014348

Just looking quickly on the Net it doesn't seem to be an uncommon part. I was a bit confused with all the different types of regulators so I can't pin point you to the exact one. If you find a source, let me know and I will order a few for my 5200s. It looks like the two voltage regulators on the 5200 are the same.

Allan

Don't know how much, or whether, this will be helpful, but I went through a (potentially) similar repair process many years ago. - https://groups.googl...air/LsQJUZWCjBA

Nutshell - a previous owner connected an 8-bit power supply to the 5200. Blew the power regulators & the IC connected to the power switch. Don't remember if other components required replacement. The regulators were very common parts and easy to find. I'd expect they are still very easy to find. I'd try Mouser or Digikey.

Another possibility would be to just buy an entire motherboard from Best Electronics, assuming they still have them. (Haven't checked their site in years.) And honestly, I don't think they do, but if AA sells the motherboards you should consider buying it from here considering the service they provide the community with this forum.

Good luck.

follow-up - the newsgroup thread I linked to above references a long-gone-away webserver I used to run. If you're interested let me know & I'll power up some older machines & try to find the images.

EDIT: Found bits/pieces of the page here: http://web.archive.org/web/20020929142924/http://www.jacobshome.org/

Some of the images are missing, but many are still there.

Edited by NoahsMyBro