IGNORED

Games that Glow in Plasma

Mr SQL

Games that Glow in Plasma

I have a second VCS setup in my living room, a Vader hooked up to a large Plasma display (the Jr just isn't as iconic looking so it's in the basement with the antique Televisions).

The luminosity of the VCS is unique and it turbocharges a plama display like no other retro console can; a plethora of colours that show up a bit dull on a tube Television undergo a startling transformation on Plasma, particularly shades of Green. Games like Popeye and Enduro literally come alive with vibrant colour.

What are your favourite Plasma games?

As a related subtopic, I've noticed many composite mods tend to flatten the outstanding luminosity of the VCS's colour output; I prefer the off spec signal :)

Any way you could capture this effect on video or in a photo? I've never heard of this, and I'm quite curious.

Serious,

I first noticed this about 10 years ago on a friends Plasma screen via the movie disclaimers; the glow is more intense than phosphor and green seems to glow the best - you don't notice it as much with other colours.

Additional circuitry has been added to the plasma panels since then but the VCS signal really seems to enhance the luminosity and makes the panel glow like the early plasma displays used to do.

Here's an explanation:

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question110209.html

You'd need a plasma display to experience this effect though!