IGNORED

Quick poll: Galaga

Pixelboy

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be okay with an MSX port of Galaga on the ColecoVision?

• Yeah, the MSX version of Galaga looks okay with monochrome aliens, and it's probably easier for Opcode to port to the CV. I'd buy it.
    • No, I want Opcode to port the arcade ROM, but I would accept monochrome aliens to avoid annoying sprite flicker.
    • No, I want Opcode to port the arcade ROM, and push the CV to its graphical limits in the process, even if it implies a lot of sprite flicker.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I think the MSX version looks pretty good to me. Yeah it would be nice to have the multi-colored sprites, but I don't see that as a deal breaker.

Now I now this would never happen just because it isn't practical, but I always thought it would be cool if a home version of galaga was programed to turn your TV side ways to get the full vertical experience.

Heck I'd make a dedicated video game set-up (with a side ways TV) if I had multiple vertical games. :-D

That can be solved by scaling down the game 3/4, instead of turning the TV side ways, which is impractical for most people. I did that with Pac-Man Collection (scaling down), so that can be done with Galaga too. Dig-Dug is another game were we can scale down everything 3/4 and have arcade accurate gameplay. Same for Pengo.

However scaling down isn't always possible or convenient, because there are trade off in graphics. Donkey Kong is a game where I think it wouldn't work well, since it would involve many graphic compromises.

About the flicker, as I said the Galagans would look kind of ghost-ish, semi-transparent, since they would be flicking at 30Hz, nothing terrible like Tapper. And no performance issues either.

• 3 months later...

Just a thought but couldn't you share a quick and dirty MSX port with monochrome aliens as a ROM image and sell the revamped snazzy one on a cart?

*edit*

Ah... I see the snazzy one wouldn't be based on an enhanced MSX port. Never mind.

Edited by JamesD

• 8 months later...

post-9873-0-40621400-1398367719_thumb.png post-9873-0-12138300-1398367785_thumb.png

Will a two-color version of Galaga work. ?

I refer to Galaxian works with more than a single color.

Eduardo says that it will flicker at 30 Hz., This can be changed technically. ?

Edited by ten-four

attachicon.gifcv-galaga-test-00.png attachicon.gifcv-galaga-test-01.png

Will a two-color version of Galaga work. ?

I refer to Galaxian works with more than a single color.

Eduardo says that it will flicker at 30 Hz., This can be changed technically. ?

If you want the formation at the top of the screen to pulse in and out just like the arcade game, then you have no choice but to have monochrome aliens.

I'd prefer time/effort be spent on programming some original games or unreleased titles, rather than another Galaga port. You did an upgraded Adventure with Chalice, how 'bout an upgraded Yar's, Demon Attack, Superman or something else from the 2600?

I agree to a large extent but I would be tempted to play a great port of Galaga on the ColecoVision with its exceptional capabilities.

It might be difficult to exceed the Atari 7800 Galaga though.

I liked the posted picture of the "two color" Galaga. I got a chance to play the real arcade version for about 30 minutes constant until my wrist started to hurt. It was a lot fun with fast stimulating action. I'm for the best effort of what is possible to make the CV experience just as stimulating as playing the fast paced spaced-out arcade version we love.

This is a worthwhile thread to bump. Just for the poll if not anything else. I will not hold my breath. Though after what I've seen from the homebrew CV community so far.... I expect great things. I reinserted myself back into the CV community with the purchase of a Yurkievision.

Which will be upgraded with a SGM soon in July. Before Galaga releases I might need something like Collectorvision's Arcade Controller for the full Galaga button mashing joystick juking experience.

Dan

:)