IGNORED

"Mooooooooom daaaaaaaaad don't answer the phone!"

Wanted to know how many of you knew what this topic was about just by the title. Who remembers playing against your friends at a dial up game such as Doom, Duke Nukem, or Command and Conquer. The ones where you would set up your dial up modem to call your buddies house so you could battle 1 on 1. The idea is very funny to me now considering how we play multiplayer games today. I remember my friends modem calling my house to make the connection and one of my parents would inevitably answer the phone. I would yell from the basement (where we kept our pc) "MOM DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE!!!". Then I would call my buddy up and say "sorry my mom answered the phone lets try again" Of course this all took place after 8:00 pm cuz god forbid I tie up the phone line during the day. Wow kids got it so good these days............ Now I want to play some Duke Nukem 3d. I wonder if anyone made a mod or crack for that game that would allow me to play it over the net nowadays......... Think I'm going to look into that tomorrow.

Edited by Dripfree
  • Like 1

The funny thing about my first years on dial up Internet is my mom wanted me to tie up the phone line at night so she wouldn't hear from telemarketers after dinner. However, we had call waiting so I had to put a prefix before the BBS or ISP number so I wouldn't get disconnected.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Oh wow... I can relate to these stories, because some of my friends had this problem constantly. I only started going online after I had my own PC in my own house. 28.8kbaud. Top of the line at that time. Ofcourse it only took something like 2 months before 36.6kbaud came, and then cable within a year.

I hated the dial-up system... The phone bills I got, still hurts when I think back at those. (And I think that phone company still hates me.)

The fun only started with monthly flat-fee, always on-line, cable internet.

Ha! That was always the case at my house. My friend and I would be getting ready for a match on Duke Nukem 3D and it was always inevitable that one of my parents would pick up the phone and start dialing a number. I, too, had to worry about tying up the phone line as I would always get the "Grandma tried to get through to us for over and hour" talk if I played for too long.

Then came the novelty of DSL - Online all the time and the phone line isn't tied up? Magical!