IGNORED

Jaguar Not Power ON

enito

Hi,

i recently purchased a Jaguar Console, with description working and tested. I tested here , and not get power on :( This console include original AC Adaptor, i tested with multimeter and i get 12V instead of 9V , dont know if this normal? I cleaned the cart slot and tested with game (i tested with various) and nothing not power. What can be the next step, instead of fight or kill the seller hehe . I read about U38 replacement, but wanna be sure what can check before open and start...

Thx!

Greets

Yup, most AC adapters will test higher than what they say on the outside. First guess, look carefully under high light at the teeth in the cart slot. I'd bet you that some look bent or missing (pushed down). If Jag isn't connecting to a game correctly it will not turn on. A game MUST be in to boot up. If the cart slot is damaged, then circuit won't complete and you won't get a power up. That's just one possibility.

• Like 1

Hi,

thx for replys, oki i think now PSU is good. Okey, today i recheck cart slot, i checked yesterday and cleaned some little stuff have, but no luck for power on. I opened too the jaguar but dont see some evidence of blow up , of some component, instead i check U39, and looks visually good. Today i try to get some photos of card slot...

Greets

• Like 1

Hi Bad news i think, i opened the jaguard, and i see some traces of cart damaged, aparently by oxid or something acid. I cleaned with isopropylic alchool, for see better and i take some photos. Dont know if exist a good quality board trace or service manual, for try to repair...

Greets

post-23250-0-75897400-1366847185_thumb.jpg

post-23250-0-55274700-1366847221_thumb.jpg

post-23250-0-94809400-1366847261_thumb.jpg

I would lightly sand the affected area exposing the copper. Then tin the traces. Using a tweezers apply a single filament of wire to bridge the gap. Once verified nail polish over the repair.

Yep, thats it now need to search fine the trace and repair, can be easy if i can find good quality photo of board for see better the missed point..

I'll try to make a high-res scan of the Jaguar motherboard tonight.

The person who told you that this console was working when (s)he sold it to you was lying - or the last time (s)he tested was years ago.

Thx for the try, this can help me a lot!!! i got some photos of traces of port to the damaged traces, for try to fix. Yep true, possibly this console was tested YEARS ago... i try to make some claim..

greets

I use a litte scrap, and i get a clean cupper little trace, now not sure if i use solder direct to points, or cable... i have some experience in solder ;)

greets

I would lightly sand the affected area exposing the copper. Then tin the traces. Using a tweezers apply a single filament of wire to bridge the gap. Once verified nail polish over the repair.

hm ... Have you cleaned the PCB pins on the game cartridge you are using? I usually just dip a que-tip (cheap cotton swab) in rubbing alcohol and then move it back and forth across the pins on the game cartridge. If that doesn't work, then maybe this thread will help:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/103198-bloody-red-screen-of-death/

enito > there are plenty of things that can cause a red screen. Bad contacts is the main reason (and that can even happend with a brand new console and cartridge, if the cartridge is not plugged just right). It could also be a damaged track you didn't notice.

Basically, the whole cartridge is checked at boot time ; if even a single bit is incorrect, the result is a red screen. So a cut on any address or data line can cause that.

If you're patient enough, I would recommend doing a continuity check with a multimeter on every pin of the cartridge port. But I'm not sure if you should bother ; you got sold a "working" Jaguar that doesn't, I would just get my money back and buy another one if I were you.

• Like 2

True, seller insist about was a working console, but its no true, cause i repaired tracks damaged. He say too can be postal, but cmon , traces was damaged!!! But my trouble im from Chile (far far away) and the seller USA, send back console cost me a lot of $$$ but i can try make a claim in paypal about my money back.

Greets!!