IGNORED

Colecovision Super Sketch

ed1475

I recently got a Super Sketch and I've uploaded a video to Youtube so people can see how it works. Below are screenshots of some of the sketches I've made with it so far. The bird, dog, palm tree, and fruit sketches are from templates included with the sketch kit.. The other sketches are from tracing drawings from other sources.

post-13580-0-05192800-1366991771_thumb.jpgpost-13580-0-66447000-1366991718_thumb.jpg

post-13580-0-67113300-1366991632_thumb.jpgpost-13580-0-70780600-1366991732_thumb.jpg

post-13580-0-04716000-1366991698_thumb.jpgpost-13580-0-70022600-1366991747_thumb.jpg

post-13580-0-61837900-1366991759_thumb.jpgpost-13580-0-23756700-1366991709_thumb.jpg

http://youtu.be/_DiXza-ACXA

Edited by ed1475
  • Like 8

There is no way to save is there? once you shut off the cv, it's gone right?

Back in the day, you could always hook-up the ColecoVision or ADAM Computer to a VCR and record your creations to VHS tape as well as the option to take a picture. I know it's not the way to "save" that you are talking about, but something is better than nothing especially after spending all that time making a masterpiece.

The only other possibility would be a screen capture with the ADAM and then continue editing the picture in PowerPaint. But the only way that I know to capture a screen which immediately comes to mind would be through the Coleco Graphics Processor cart (also known as Project Name by Line) and it would have to be version 2 of the cart seeing as version 1 did not support screen captures. The only dilemna, and it's a big one, is that you can only use one cart at a time so a multi-unit cart adapter would have to be made with a toggle switch to select which cart was to be used upon Cartridge Reset. For instance, use Sketch Master to create your artwork, throw the toggle switch to the C.G,P. cart on the so-called adapter, press the Cartridge Reset and viola... C.G.P. has captured your picture and then you can save to DDP or DISK.

Probably a lot easier to just use PowerPaint with the Roller Controller. :roll:

Thanks for sharing the pics and video, Ed. Also, congrats on finally acquiring one of these.

Surprising, the color-bleeding problem of the TI video chip took a while to show-up in your video.

Yeah, color-bleeding can be a big problem with detailed sketches. That's why I didn't fill in most of the lion's face or the woman sketch with color. The details would have been lost due to color-bleeding.

Edited by ed1475

im interested in selling mine just wondering what they go for now days?

If it is CIB and in good shape, since a good one hasn't shown up in 2 yrs it is a pretty good bet that the first CIB that comes out now on Ebay could get a big bidding war.

Anything above $300 for CIB is fare but I would expect it to go higher than $400 on ebay unless something is wrong like horrible box or something missing.

• 6 months later...

Very Cool... Thx for the post...

I recently got a Super Sketch and I've uploaded a video to Youtube so people can see how it works. Below are screenshots of some of the sketches I've made with it so far. The bird, dog, palm tree, and fruit sketches are from templates included with the sketch kit.. The other sketches are from tracing drawings from other sources.

attachicon.gif108.jpgattachicon.gif104.jpg
attachicon.gif100.jpgattachicon.gif105.jpg
attachicon.gif101.jpgattachicon.gif106.jpg
attachicon.gif107.jpgattachicon.gif102.jpg

http://youtu.be/_DiXza-ACXA

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the video. I owned one of these as a child approx 1984-1985-ish, and played with it for dozens of hours on my family's Coleco ADAM at the time. You could get really creative with it. I remember my favorite thing to do with it, was to draw underwater cities, with skyscrapers on the ocean floor covered by large semi-circular domes protecting them from the water. I created a different city design each time, sometimes with multiple domed cities of different sizes in one screen. Always with a pure white background, for the following reason... Each time, after the cities were drawn, I would select the Eraser tool and carefully erase one tiny pixel from some of the semi-circular domes, then I would select Blue color and activate the Fill paint tool at a random point on the screen to make the ocean blue. The result was a cool real time effect of the Coleco slowly painting all the water of the ocean using its slow Fill tool, but the fill tool could not reach the skyscrapers protected by the intact domes, but when the blue color Fill algorithm would reach one of the domes which I removed 1 pixel from, the Fill algorithm would "leak" blue paint through that 1 pixel hole into that city, effectively "flooding" all those cities that had holes in their domes. Using this method I enjoyed creating what were "mini-animations" on my TV of underwater cities flooding, which lasted several seconds, due to the slow drawing rate of the Colecovision Super Sketch's "Fill" tool. This was a really satisfying children's peripheral for Colecovision.

Edited by Sega Ages

Thanks for the video. I owned one of these as a child approx 1984-1985-ish, and played with it for dozens of hours on my family's Coleco ADAM at the time. You could get really creative with it. I remember my favorite thing to do with it, was to draw underwater cities, with skyscrapers on the ocean floor covered by large semi-circular domes protecting them from the water.

And 30+ years later, Bioshock was released. :P