IGNORED

The 5 " black and white tv test...

Hard to say like that, but ROB react to timed flashes more than the lightgun. So you can't fake them with an empty TV. Now if he doesn't react to the game... maybe try to get him closer to the TV set.

Put the contrast to the minimum or the maximum (depends of the TV menu) so you get dark black and flashy white. Ajust the brightness accordingly too.

The blank tv was the black and white untill I got it working. The symphonic is color and works with the game. My 20 inch rca on the cealing or this symphoic color tv/vcr won't work with robby. The game show on the tv. He lights up in test mode but won't move. But he moves left and right when I put fresh batteries in. So not totally broken.

But the tv/vcr combo was only 1 dollar and the black and white was only 2 dollars. So no big deal.

When you click test the light on top of robs head lights up. When you goto direct the light is supposed to stay on isnt it. Or is it only for test mode. And the second controller does nothing in direct mode. The first one controls him right?

OK, I figured it out. You hit test and he lights up. And then select and he stays light up. In direct mode you use the first controller and he works. But he has to be dead center to work. Or sometimes to the side. So he works now. But getting the position just right is key. And sometimes after hitting test and select he lights up but doesn't stay lit. You just hit test again and then select. You have to do it a couple of times. Don't know why he refuses to stay lit sometimes but at least he works. He goes up and down and left and right. Only problem is he doesn't close or open arms. I swear he did once or twice but now he doesn't anymore. But for my mod needs he doesn't need to.

• 8 years later...

I *hate* to be that guy pulling up an old post like this, but I have to ask.  I saw a 5" TV came up in this, then a 13", if i wanted to play zapper games again will a 5" TV work to accurately hit moving targets or at that size any flash will pick up a miss or kill?  If that's the case it just is *whatever* about it and doesn't work, is a 12"-13" TV big enough to see the ducks at an ok distance to actually play the game right?

I had someone on discord try it out on something around a 5" panel and well the results are not what you think surprisingly.  It works, and its accurate, hard to tell at that size, but he also had a 10-12" one, and that thing was crazy.  He had the cord to max on the zapper (6-9?ft) and it was well very specific.  The squares seem to scale fine down to the smallest degree and the zapper still picks it up, accurately.  He said it was quite hard at the full length as you had to hit them pretty near center to get the hit box, going to the edge like you can do on a big tv blasting a head or a wing and just getting generally "there" does NOT work on the smaller the screen.

Seems it's like PRO Duck Hunt when you get under a 12" CRT...sound like a nice added challenge when you've played for so long rolling the score isn't an issue.