IGNORED

2600 rarity questions

I just picked up my second 2600 today for $10. It had 2 joysticks, paddles, 2 racing paddles, and 5 games nothing rare, no boxes but not bad for $10. It's a four switch. My first one is a six switch, (not a heavy sixer). I was considering doing some mods to one of them but I wanted to leave the one that's more collectable stock. Are these things pretty equal as far as collectability? And since I'm asking the question could someone possibly give me a list showing me the order of the most sought after 2600's .I know there are quite a few and I really don't know what's rare other then the heavy sixer........ I also know there are a lot of off brands, are any of these considered more or less collectable then an official Atari 2600.

In the 4 switches range, the woody is older than the "darth vader" model and so, more "collectionnable". The less enjoyed model is the Atari 2600 Jr.

The question is : do you plan to have many models and mod only one to play with? Or do you just want to keep one model "as is" and mod the other for better video (and/or Stereo mod and other things)?

I find the Darth vader model rather classy than the fake wood effect of the older models, but that more a matter of opinions.

There is also the option to buy and mod an Atari 7800 to play your 2600 games and keep your 2600 non modded.

Actually I do have a 7800 and that is what I play all my games on right now. My thought is that I never mod a system If I only have one. I'm actually kind of a purest at heart. If I get second one I would like to attempt to mod it..... Not even so much for the end result. I really just enjoy the project and I'm always trying to improve my skills. If I do mod one I want it to be the least collectable because I want the rare one to exist as it was originally intended....... Not to mention if I screw up I don't want to break the rare one.

Well, the less enjoyed Atari 2600 is definitively the Atari 2600 Jr. The most common then is probably the "Darth Vader" Atari 2600. I think it's the way to go, because you'll have mode room to work in, and most mods are designed around the motherboard of the 4 switchs 2600. The motherboard of the JR is a bit different and the very smaller casing may be too cramped for mods that require a bit of room.

I totally understand your point of view about modding ;-) Tho, sometime you doesn't have the choice really. I'm not gonna order two Bally Astrocade to Europe to keep one in his original state, that would be way too expensive...

I just picked up my second 2600 today for $10. It had 2 joysticks, paddles, 2 racing paddles, and 5 games nothing rare, no boxes but not bad for $10. It's a four switch. My first one is a six switch, (not a heavy sixer). I was considering doing some mods to one of them but I wanted to leave the one that's more collectable stock. Are these things pretty equal as far as collectability? And since I'm asking the question could someone possibly give me a list showing me the order of the most sought after 2600's .I know there are quite a few and I really don't know what's rare other then the heavy sixer........ I also know there are a lot of off brands, are any of these considered more or less collectable then an official Atari 2600.

If you're going to mod one of them, I'd do the 4-switch. They're far and away the most common 2600, so if something went wrong with the mod or you just want to have a stock one, they're easy to replace. Neither one is really more "collectible" than the other since they're both pretty common, but I'd say the 6-switch is marginally more collectible since it's older and a closer relation to the Heavy Sixer (that, and a surprising amount of uninformed people mistake them for Heavy Sixers, and price them accordingly when trying to sell them).

As far as desirability/collectibility of the different 2600 models is concerned, I think it basically comes down to the Heavy Sixer...and everything else. I'll attempt to be more specific with a quick "best guess" ranking:

1. Atari Heavy Sixer

2. Sears Heavy Sixer

3. Atari Light Sixer

4. Sears Light Sixer

5. Sears Video Arcade II

6. Sears 4-switch

7. Atari Vader

8. Atari 4-switch

9. Atari Jr. short rainbow

10. Atari Jr. large rainbow

These are just the "mainstream" 2600 systems. There are other systems and clones like the Coleco Gemini, Columbia Home Arcade, and Bit 60 computer that are more generally more collectible (especially the Columbia and Bit 60, which are exceedingly rare). There is the 2600jr with the black nameplate, supposedly sold only in Ireland, but there doesn't seem to be any particularly special interest in them. An Atari 2800 would go for a premium, though.

None of the Atari/Sears consoles are especially rare, even the mighty Heavy Sixer. Heavies are sought-after because they were the first 2600s, they have a better build quality than later models, they have superior RF quality, and they have a few unique features (such as the hex discs in the CX10 joysticks). After the heavies, you're pretty much splitting hairs as far as the collectibility of different Atari 2600 models goes. There isn't much distinction, although the 2600jr. tends to be slightly less desirable due to its cheaper build quality and sometimes poorer RF quality.

There is also the option to buy and mod an Atari 7800 to play your 2600 games and keep your 2600 non modded.

The 7800 doesn't need to be modded to run 2600 titles. Or did you mean something like a video mod?

Yes, that's what I meant of course. The 7800 aren't rare at all (except maybe the 1984 models... but I don't think there is much chance to find one today, if it was ever sold?) so modding one might seem even less bad than modding a 2600 (which I don't consider being rare for starters).

After the heavies, you're pretty much splitting hairs as far as the collectibility of different Atari 2600 models goes. There isn't much distinction,

Thanks Bass that is actually what I kinda thought, but I wanted confirmation.

The 7800 doesn't need to be modded to run 2600 titles. Or did you mean something like a video mod?

• 2 weeks later...

Well just to throw my hat in the ring, I would ask if the light sixer was a Sunnyvale or "Other". If it is an "Other", I would mod the sixer because they are easier to do. The R/F shield on the four switch is very easy to ruin trying to remove. A Sunnyvale light sixer, I would keep as is. They are fairly rare, and were sold as Atari, and Sears. From my experience the Sears being harder to find. Either way I would scoop one up just for the mod project. Every part need is at radio shack, total cost about 10 bucks. Have fun, GAME-ON