IGNORED

TT030 with mouse issue ?

Hello all of you, Atari TT030 users,

I got my TT030 and I do not have TT030 keyboard but I do have my ST mouse. I tried to hook up only ST mouse into VME slot where they have 2 mouse ports. My TT030 does not response at all to ST mouse. SO I assume VME slot (Graphics Card) for something else than mouse. I assume that it has some kind of enchanted graphics capitally ?

The ST mouse plugs into the mouse port on the right side of the keyboard - NOT the VME slot! :woozy: Those are extra serial ports on the VME slot. You really should read the manual first or at least google/search some TT030 websites first before you do anything else. This is pretty basic stuff and if you did not know how to hook up a keyboard/mouse, you need to slow down and learn some basics about the machine first before you end up breaking it.

The VME slot can be used for various expansion cards including enhanced graphics cards.

The problem is I do not have TT 030 keyboard. Only Falcon 30 , STe and ST internal keyboard. NO external keyboard that I has.

My next question, is possible for me to add Apple 20 GB IDE HDD into TT030 internal ? OR must be smaller IDE like 50 Mb ? But I read some web sites about TT030 and it can got for 4 GB SD Card or Compact Card.

The problem is I do not have TT 030 keyboard. Only Falcon 30 , STe and ST internal keyboard. NO external keyboard that I has.

My next question, is possible for me to add Apple 20 GB IDE HDD into TT030 internal ? OR must be smaller IDE like 50 Mb ? But I read some web sites about TT030 and it can got for 4 GB SD Card or Compact Card.

You would need to adapt the TTs SCSI interface to an IDE one to use an IDE drive. It probably isn't worth the expense. If you look elsewhere on this board you will find a thread on Ultrasatan, an SD card adaptor. That's probably your best best for a hard disk. Without a keyboard you are a bit stuffed for controlling the TT. You could possibly using a SD card system load a serial mouse driver and then connect an old serial mouse to the serial port, but that's not ideal. You could adapt an ST keyboard to run on the TT if you have some soldering knowledge? However I would suggest a TT keyboard should be the next purchase ;)

You can use ST internal keyboard on TT after simple mod. Need cable with phone jack on 1 side . And to add reset circuit on keyboard - what is 1 diode and one capacitor. Ask for more details if feel able to solder little .

Hello all of you,

Where can I purchase TT Keyboard ? Best Electronics has one but alots of money $110 for a simple TT Keyboard. Is another way around to buy TT somewhere ? Any advise ?

Silly me, is possible for me to using Macintosh Keyboard (with phone) cable to connect TT030 ? Or too dangerous to connect because of requirement power source different between Mac Keyboard and TT Keyboard ? That Mac keyboard comes from 128K to Plus ( I think).

Edited by Caterpiggle

I don't think it would work as the ST has its own keyboard controller, and the chances are whatever is in the Mac keyboard is so wildly different that you would just crash the machine. Depending on where you live I would just keep an eye on Ebay. If you are in the UK there are a few places to try such ST Freakz, and I think 16/32 had some keyboards although they were Swedish (or something) characters. Bear in mind TOS dictates the language so having a foreign keyboard would not effect what you are typing.

• 6 years later...

Finally I found TT030 keyboard for Mega STe ! BUT my mouse ST seems not response at all. I force to press down on "Alternate + arrow keys". I even changed to non-Atari mouse like GoldenImage mouse and it still not response at all ??? Yes, either left or right mouse ports ! 2nd problem , how to shut down Atari Mega STe properly without any damaging to internal Hard drive ?? On Macintosh 128K & above : it does have feature "shut down" on the top of menu panel. BUT not on Atari panel , nothing !

Edited by Caterpiggle

Non working mouse can be mouse, it's cable/connector error or 'keyboard' error (it's mouse input part). You need Atari compatible mouse. There are diverse solutions to attach modern optical mouse to Atari ST, TT, Mega STE via special adapter (PS2 to 9 pin, or USB to 9 pin). That will be probably easier and cheaper than find good original Atari mouse.

Shutting down will not damage hard disk. In very unlucky case data damage can happen, but more likely your hard disk will break before it because of it's age. You just don't turn off it while disk access happens - and that's the case when you close running SW and are in Desktop.

Btw. if some SW error happens and computer becomes unresponsive how Mac user can click on that Shut down ? Don't forget: Atari ST was Mac 128 killer ?

On my TT keyboard the mouse port failed in a similar fashion to the failure on the normal ST keyboard (i.e. solder joints broke loose). I bodge fixed it initially by pushing some cardboard under the port (into the keyboard) which pushed the port pins back in contact and worked for quite a while like that, you could check by pushing up the mouse connector when it is plugged in and try and use it. If you are handy with a soldering iron I would open it up and check the socket with a multimeter for continuity. If it is broken, then you will need to resolder the joints between the socket and the circuit board.

Just to further what Paranoid said, unless you are running a multitasking system like Magic (which does need a shutdown option as processes can be running in the background), the TT is still at base a single tasking operating system (desktop accs aside), so there are no background task that you may not be aware of accessing the disk that may need closing which would require a shutdown to avoid corruption. Basically if you are doing something and accessing the disk then don't turn it off. If you are not, then neither will anything else be, so you can simply flip the switch.

Hello Zogging Hell,

So it does not apply to Mega STe internal HDD ? Just TT030 alone ? I am using Mega STe. Yes, internal HDD does working fine minus mouse..

No, it is NOT Magic Desktop , just plain Atari Desktop with ICD.

So the cracks between mouse port into keyboard board itself ? Okay, I will check it out.

7 hours ago, Caterpiggle said:

Hello Zogging Hell,

So it does not apply to Mega STe internal HDD ? Just TT030 alone ? I am using Mega STe. Yes, internal HDD does working fine minus mouse..

So the cracks between mouse port into keyboard board itself ? Okay, I will check it out.

Yeah, the Mega STe/TT both use SCSI for their internal drives.  I think the only real difference is the Mega STe controller maxes out at 1GB (if I recall correctly, which explains why way back when my 1.6gb would never work).  But yeah, just make sure the little LED is lighting up during use, and if it's not lit, just power off the machine.  It isn't like modern systems that no matter what you do, something is writing to disk, even if it's just logging.

The Mouse port is going to be the one on the right of the TT/Mega STe keyboard.  Also, make sure you're using a compatible mouse, as you found many years ago, a serial mouse is not the same, even though they both have 9 pins.  I have a mouse that has a switch for AT/AM which I thought was Atari / Amiga, it does work on the Amiga, but I couldn't get it to work on the TT at all.

I ended up getting a DB9 to PS2 controller adapter, and actually use a PS2 (that's Playstation 2, not PS/2) game pad to move around with the analog stick.  Works really well, actually.

9 hours ago, Caterpiggle said:

Hello Zogging Hell,

All Atari computers are at heart single tasking, you have load a new operating system from disk (rather than the basic OS in ROM memory) to get multitasking at all.

Not so much cracks, as if you look at the keyboard connector, there are pins that go into the motherboard through little holes filled with solder. The pins should be fixed solid by the solder but if any of them can move, there is a loose connection and this can lead to mouse problems.

1 hour ago, leech said:

I have a mouse that has a switch for AT/AM which I thought was Atari / Amiga, it does work on the Amiga, but I couldn't get it to work on the TT at all.

I had one of those, it should actually work, although I found on one of them, that the switch didn't switch very well and required a lot of wiggling to get it into Atari mode.

53 minutes ago, Zogging Hell said:

I had one of those, it should actually work, although I found on one of them, that the switch didn't switch very well and required a lot of wiggling to get it into Atari mode.

Yeah, that's probably it.  It's a ball mouse anyhow, and since I don't have the room on the edge of my table where my TT is currently set up, the Playstation 2 controller seems to be more convenient.