phaeron

60 fps video using SIDE 2

Yes, 7-Zip did the uncompressing for me, when IZ Arc failed...

-----

Regarding the movies, most of them are good, some are mediocre, very few are bad (and I could not have done any of them better).

Alas, the sound in all these movies has a terrible whistling background noise. I am hard-hearing and still I can hear it, so I guess everyone can hear it. When I wanted to show a movie to my wife, she immediately shouted at me to switch it off or mute the sound, since she cannot bear that awful background noise. So I am wondering, where does this whistling background noise come from (from Pokey, yeah) and/or what is the reason for this noise to be present in all movies ? Is there a way to avoid it, e.g. by using a higher or lower sampling rate ?!? (By the way, none of my PDM soundfiles do have such a whistling background noise.)

And in case someone says this whistling noise is not there, I can easily make a recording with my Hifi CD-recorder and upload it here as WAV or MP3 (just in case you need some ear-killing noise)...  ;-)

Edited by CharlieChaplin

It's quite a feat to stream video as it's been done. However the novelty of being able to do so quickly faded, and after a few days I moved on. The quality is just so very bad, that it'll never be usable for much more then a demonstration of what the Atari 8-bit hardware can be pushed into doing. But it reminds me so very much of the poor video quality of those early toy video tape recorders that actually recorded onto audio cassette tape of all things. I know some people have suggested using the streaming video technique for a game, but I just don't see that as being very satisfying.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCXJ5twf5tM&t=448s[/media]

Yes, 7-Zip did the uncompressing for me, when IZ Arc failed...

-----

Regarding the movies, most of them are good, some are mediocre, very few are bad (and I could not have done any of them better).

Alas, the sound in all these movies has a terrible whistling background noise. I am hard-hearing and still I can hear it, so I guess everyone can hear it. When I wanted to show a movie to my wife, she immediately shouted at me to switch it off or mute the sound, since she cannot bear that awful background noise. So I am wondering, where does this whistling background noise come from (from Pokey, yeah) and/or what is the reason for this noise to be present in all movies ? Is there a way to avoid it, e.g. by using a higher or lower sampling rate ?!? (By the way, none of my PDM soundfiles do have such a whistling background noise.)

And in case someone says this whistling noise is not there, I can easily make a recording with my Hifi CD-recorder and upload it here as WAV or MP3 (just in case you need some ear-killing noise)...  ;-)

Is the "whistling" noise an artifact of SIO noise streaming through the bus? I'm not currently setup to do any streaming video myself (I don't have any A8 video players on my systems, nor any of the video files to play).

It is the 15KHz carrier from the PWM technique used to generate the audio. Standard 4-bit volume encoding can be used instead, but the sound would be muffled at the high end instead.

PDM would have better quality, but there are currently not enough cycles in horizontal blank. Volume-only is LDA + STA, PWM is LDA + STA x 2, PDM requires LDA x 2 + STA x 2.

Someone could please explain graphic mode used?

If I am not wrong it's APAC, graphic mode 9 (16 colors) + graphic mode 11 (16 shades of grey) with black lines.

But how it works exactly?

For example,

line #

1 gr. 9

2 black line

3 gr. 11

4 gr. 9

5 black line

6 gr. 11

or

1 gr. 9

2 gr. 11

3 black line

Someone could please explain graphic mode used?

If I am not wrong it's APAC, graphic mode 9 (16 colors) + graphic mode 11 (16 shades of grey) with black lines.

But how it works exactly?

It works like this:

1: 16 hues of lowest brightness

2: 16 grays

3: 16 hues of lowest brightness

4: 16 grays

The first line is what you perceive as black line. Basically you provide hue in one line, brightness in second.

Edited by R0ger

Btw. I was experimenting with the same approach using mode 4. 4 hues (I use RGBY), 6 brightness levels. The 6th brightness level is PMG underlay. Of course I can only use 4 brightness levels per character, so I decide whether the characters is dark, medium, bright, or what I call 'high contrast'. I don't do anything special for the hues, first I can't switch so many palette entries between lines, second it's not needed really.

This gives me 4x6 = 24 colors. It's not entirely bad.

But I can also interlace this. I get 10 hues using different combinations, and 11 brightness levels. All that with 160x100 square pixels resolution. And I use the interlace to get more colors, not better resolution as usual. I only flicker 2 brightness levels which are already close together, so it doesn't flicker as bad as you might expect.

Here are some examples.

24 colors, no flickering:

[attachment=637253:lambo4x6.png]

110 colors, flickering:

[attachment=637254:lambo10x11.png]

I made short lecture about this n Atariada, you can see it here (in English, you've been warned). I suggest skipping toward the end for more examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwgngLvKH6I

Question of course is .. could it be combined with this kind of video playback ? It uses extensive DLI, almost no cycle left. It's character mode and it uses all PMG. It does work with just the character mode, or with just 4 levels of brigthness, but every level counts.

It's quite a feat to stream video as it's been done. However the novelty of being able to do so quickly faded, and after a few days I moved on. The quality is just so very bad, that it'll never be usable for much more then a demonstration of what the Atari 8-bit hardware can be pushed into doing. But it reminds me so very much of the poor video quality of those early toy video tape recorders that actually recorded onto audio cassette tape of all things. I know some people have suggested using the streaming video technique for a game, but I just don't see that as being very satisfying.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCXJ5twf5tM&t=448s[/media]

But, it is still VERY COOL to see it in action!

:)

I would still laugh at the full length movie Caddyshack if I had an opportunity to see it done on the Atari. It's not that much worse than [VHS].

Did a little test. It's simple XEX streaming, only works in emulator. Tested with Altirra.

You need pal artifacting, pal machine, frame blending recommended on 60fps screens.

The source framerate is 24, this is 25 with no conversion, so it's slightly faster.

[attachment=637635:gangam-style.zip]

Edited by R0ger

Works well in Atari800 as well. I provided my own sound :D

[attachment=637642:atari003.png]

Did a little test. It's simple XEX streaming, only works in emulator. Tested with Altirra.

You need pal artifacting, pal machine, frame blending recommended on 60fps screens.

The source framerate is 24, this is 25 with no conversion, so it's slightly faster.

Hmmm, this is a single *.XEX file which is packed with 7-Zip, then this *.7z file is zipped again ?!?

What sense does it make to zip a 7z file ?!? Alright, RAR'd the ZIP, TAR'd the RAR, GZIP'd the TAR then ARC'd the GZ...

Hmmm, this is a single *.XEX file which is packed with 7-Zip, then this *.7z file is zipped again ?!?

What sense does it make to zip a 7z file ?!? Alright, RAR'd the ZIP, TAR'd the RAR, GZIP'd the TAR then ARC'd the GZ...

That's actually simple. I can't attach 7z on this forum ;-)