IGNORED

anyone excited about the upcoming (fall) Xbox 720?

jd_1138

http://www.joystiq.c...affic-scribe-s/

excerpts:

Call of Duty: Ghosts written by 'Syriana' and 'Traffic' scribe Stephen Gaghan

The latest Call of Duty, dubbed Ghosts, has drafted Syriana and Traffic writer Stephen Gaghan to provide its fiction.

Games don't get more Hollywood than Call of Duty, and Activision has shown little hesitance in acquiring composers and writers from the silver screen to aid in its ever bigger and brasher efforts. Gaghan's work on Traffic, a dour crime drama, and political thriller Syriana made him a standout candidate for Ghosts. The game follows the remainder of the US military in a world scarred by a weapon of mass destruction.

According to developer Infinity Ward, Gaghan didn't swoop in and drop off a script – he requested an office, and worked from one amidst the game's single-player team all throughout the game's production. That's a sterling gesture, but I asked Call of Duty: Ghosts executive producer Mark Rubin to explain why Gaghan was deemed suitable to write for players, not viewers.

"Basically, we looked at his work – he's a great writer, no doubt about it and that's fine, there are probably lots of great writers out there," Rubin said. "So what we did is we actually got the chance to talk to him a long time before we decided to go forward with it. And we realized he was getting it. We've had writers before, and they know how to write, but they don't understand the game aspect of it.

"And I feel like with Gaghan, he really understood what we were trying to do. He asked more questions than try to sell himself, and that was, I think, a really big selling point. He was asking how things work and how we do things, and was really interested in how we craft the story, not from a writing standpoint but from the visuals and gameplay. He was really asking more questions. Although he was a gamer – he knew it from that side – he didn't know it from the dev side. He really was asking a lot of questions about the dev side, he really wanted to know more. I think that interest in what we were doing is really what drove us to him."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-alan-wake-developer-announces-xbox-one-game-quantum-break

UPDATE 2: Quantum Break appears to blend a live action TV show with a video game, with actions in one affecting the other. Microsoft's Xbox One press release calls it "a revolutionary entertainment experience... that blurs the line between gaming and TV by integrating drama and gameplay into one seamless, uniquely immersive experience. How you play the game impacts the show, and the show informs how you play the game." Defiance, anyone?

UPDATE: Remedy creative director Sam Lake has commented on the future of the Alan Wake series following the studio's announcement of new IP Quantum Break.

"Remedy's next big game won't be Alan Wake 2," Lake wrote on Twitter. "We'll return to Wake when the time is right. More on this tomorrow."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/live-action-halo-tv-series-coming-to-xbox-one/

excerpts:

Live-action Halo “TV series” coming to Xbox One

Microsoft and 343 Industries announced plans for a live-action Halo TV series in partnership with Steven Spielberg at the unveiling event for the company’s new console, the Xbox One. The TV series heralds Microsoft’s intent to merge its console as much as possible with live TV, though it also represents the company's intent to to become a source for content as well as vector, as the series will be exclusive to the Xbox One.

Bonnie Ross, head of 343 Industries, made an appearance at the event to namecheck the success of the Halo-centric Web series Forward Unto Dawn as an integral step toward making the jump to a full series. Spielberg called the series "an amazing opportunity to be at intersection of mythmaking and technology."

Microsoft also emphasized its intent to add to live sports games, showing a fantasy basketball league interface over a live basketball game. Xbox One will also get content integrated with NFL that will be exclusive to the Xbox dashboard experience.

they announced 3 weeks ago that the presentation would be split into 2 parts. hardware/ecosystem in the reveal and the games at e3.

I wish I had gotten the memo.

Opening a pool, and getting ready for a STAYcation (next week) unfortunately takes precedence over just about everything I guess.

I'll be sure and keep my eyes open in the near future for E3 news!

http://kotaku.com/th...oller-509188976

excerpts:

The Tiny, Cool Details of the New Xbox One Controller

The Xbox One controller looks a lot like the Xbox 360 controller, but the new pad actually sports some subtle but relevant differences. Let's take a video tour, shall we?

The video above shows you the goods and also includes an attempt at a joke by me. Very regrettable, sorry. But...details! For those of you without the time or bandwidth to watch!

• A clickier d-pad
  • Smaller control sticks with a tighter dead zone
  • Control sticks that take less effort to move (phew!)
  • A new "View" button in place of the back button... could pop up your inventory or map in an RPG or the leaderboards in an FPS
  • A new "Menu" button in place of the forward button... would go to a game's menu.
  • "Triple-shot" face buttons that make them look snazzier and require less force to use (phew again!)
  • Vibration motors ("impulse triggers") in the triggers (This is awesome. Find out more from our friends at Gizmodo.)
  • High-speed data port
  • Less-obtrusive battery compartment running AA batteries.

What did anyone really expect?

A superior gaming machine, not an all-in-one toaster oven and nipple buffer. Certain consoles of the past were a leap forward. Now we get some extra RAM and a pocketful of pixie dust thrown in our faces.

Now comes the phase where we get the same old tired complaints.

This is also the phase where sycophants whine about complainers and masturbate all over the latest console photos.

It doesn't play my old games. I guess the old systems break for many people when they buy the next gen system. I must be lucky, I can still hook up my old 2600, NES and Xbox and play those games.

Yes, you must be lucky if you have room for 600 consoles and a way to have them all hooked up to your TV at the same time.

I am switching to PC games! Unless your PC is hooked to your TV, have fun playing a game with 3 of your buddies on card chairs crowded around your desk looking at your 23" monitor. Or maybe those people do the all so convenient LAN party.

My PC and my Xbox 360 are hooked up to the same 32 inch HDTV and I don't play with other people. I play solo so I can do what I want, when I want, for as long as I want.

The bottom line for me is I want to play the latest console games in 2014 and beyond.

Good luck. I hope you'll have time to play the latest game before the server shuts down and you're stuck with a shiny beverage coaster.

• Like 5

I put excerpts because a lot of the links have videos and other things I can't copy. so since it's not a reasonable facsimile, I put the disclaimer that it's excerpts. that's why I put the original link.

Still, posting a book's worth of text isn't an excerpt, even if you provide a link. An excerpt is more like an important paragraph or two that you don't want people to overlook.

• Like 2

Apparently after giving out the $10 Microsoft Store codes the store site glitched. If you put 1200 points ($14.99) in your cart a $10 discount will be applied so you get it for $4.99. You can do it over and over. I don't think it matters if you redeemed a promo code or not. I stumbled into it trying to buy points with the promo card but I never had an opportunity to use it. I wasn't sure what was going on so I did some searching and found other people had noticed as well. Some people have received the codes for the points they have purchased and others are still waiting. I guess it remains to be seen if all of the purchases will be honored. If you intend to take advantage of it you might want to jump on it. Just remember that you have to buy the 1600 points one at a time as the $10 discount is applied to the cart not each item.

• Like 1

Apparently after giving out the $10 Microsoft Store codes the store site glitched. If you put 1200 points ($14.99) in your cart a $10 discount will be applied so you get it for $4.99. You can do it over and over. I don't think it matters if you redeemed a promo code or not. I stumbled into it trying to buy points with the promo card but I never had an opportunity to use it. I wasn't sure what was going on so I did some searching and found other people had noticed as well. Some people have received the codes for the points they have purchased and others are still waiting. I guess it remains to be seen if all of the purchases will be honored. If you intend to take advantage of it you might want to jump on it. Just remember that you have to buy the 1600 points one at a time as the $10 discount is applied to the cart not each item.

Too bad the DLC you purchase with those points on your 360 will eventually just disappear like a fart in the wind...that is, when they start to slowly kill the 360 servers a year or two after the 720 XBOX ONE goes live! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

• Like 1

Xbox Live worked with the original Xbox for five years after the 360 was released. The 360 has much better market penetration and many more methods of generating revenue. I would be surprised if the 360 didn't work with Xbox Live for longer than the original did after its successor is released.