IGNORED

Atari Falcon wanted

Its feasible, but not easy. I searched for ages to find one - then TWO popped up on ebay so I bought them both. That was about 12 months ago and I have not seen many (read any) since then. I then had to search to find the 14mb upgrades for them, which I eventually found (cheaper new than used would you believe).

Expect to pay between $500.00 and $700.00 USD for one in decent condition.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FRare-Atari-Falcon-030-computer-Cubase-Audio-Clock-Look-NR-1040-ST-E-MEGA-TT-%2F181129873758%3Fpt%3DUS_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes%26hash%3Ditem2a2c2e895e

And there is a guy who has been doing Falcon 14mb upgrades recently that haven't been selling (well come have, but I think he has 3). Or you can go to one of the dealers (can't remember if it's myatari or the other one) for the 14mb single simm module upgrade (that is small enough to leave it stock).

I''ve discounted these machines (in my little mind) several times. But I can't help but "secretly" want one, for the collection. As an ethusiast of the ST-line, it's nothing less than an interesting machine, although it got relatively-litle software support. I suppose the same could be said for the STe, or anything that advanced beyond the original 520ST/1040ST specification. I don't care. I still want one.

I''ve discounted these machines (in my little mind) several times. But I can't help but "secretly" want one, for the collection. As an ethusiast of the ST-line, it's nothing less than an interesting machine, although it got relatively-litle software support. I suppose the same could be said for the STe, or anything that advanced beyond the original 520ST/1040ST specification. I don't care. I still want one.

It's still a great machine if you can get one, and many of the best games from the ST/STE have been fixed to work on the Falcon, the bonus being that many games that were a bit slow can now be played with great frame rates at 16Mhz, though a MegaSTE will do that for you too. Mine was a gift or else I still wouldn't have one.

It's still a great machine if you can get one, and many of the best games from the ST/STE have been fixed to work on the Falcon, the bonus being that many games that were a bit slow can now be played with great frame rates at 16Mhz, though a MegaSTE will do that for you too. Mine was a gift or else I still wouldn't have one.

Actually, I was told that the Falcon at 16Mhz runs things quite a bit faster than the MSTe at 16Mhz.

I'd love to get my hands on a USA model Falcon someday....

Yeah, I get what you guys are saying. I stil want one. They're just horrendously-overpriced collector's items now. Most of the games play pretty well on ST, STe, Mega STe - all of which can be had (the lower spec you go the lower the price) for incredibly-less money. If I cough an extra $1000, I'm probably going to buy a new PC or Mac for "mainstream" use, rather than another toy.

That having been said, I still want one. It's fun to want stuff. Sometimes it's more fun to want stuff than to actually have it!!!!

Actually, I was told that the Falcon at 16Mhz runs things quite a bit faster than the MSTe at 16Mhz.

I'd love to get my hands on a USA model Falcon someday....

68010 @ 16mhz is totally out performed by 68030 + data cache + instruction cache @ 16mhz.....

......although a lot of the patches have data and/or instruction caches disabled to make them work.

It is normal that later generation CPU 68030 is faster than 68010 . Many instructions take less cycles, especially shift and rotate ones (barrell shifter) .

But speed is decreased by 16-bit data bus, and in some cases, when must disable caches and set to 8Mhz may be slower than on some ST(E) .For instance interrupts are slower.

And nobody mentions that DSP can be used for faster 3D - Crown of Creation use it ?

Well that one was in a package deal that I probably overpaid for. But it had a network adapter that I was really going after..... There is one on ebay now that has about $400 with a day or so to go. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FRare-Atari-Falcon-030-computer-Cubase-Audio-Clock-Look-NR-1040-ST-E-MEGA-TT-%2F181129873758%3Fpt%3DUS_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes%26hash%3Ditem2a2c2e895e . It is only 4mb and they fixed the keyboard with a 1040 one (something I'm about to do on Falcon #1 since the keyboard went flakey). Of course I'm going to probably pull the caps off the old one so it's still dark grey. However, this one probably won't go too much higher due to that. Probably a good place to start.

There is one on ebay now that has about $400 with a day or so to go. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FRare-Atari-Falcon-030-computer-Cubase-Audio-Clock-Look-NR-1040-ST-E-MEGA-TT-%2F181129873758%3Fpt%3DUS_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes%26hash%3Ditem2a2c2e895e . It is only 4mb and they fixed the keyboard with a 1040 one (something I'm about to do on Falcon #1 since the keyboard went flakey). Of course I'm going to probably pull the caps off the old one so it's still dark grey. However, this one probably won't go too much higher due to that. Probably a good place to start.

That Falcon ended up going for $410.

This was the one I ended up getting. Can't wait to get home on Wednesday and get it! ;) http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FAtari-Falcon-030-Ethernet-NEC-adapter-DAT-b-u-tape-drive-JAG-pads-and-more-%2F161012629576%3F_trksid%3Dp2047675.l2557%26ssPageName%3DSTRK%253AMEWNX%253AIT%26nma%3Dtrue%26si%3D7XaAKv16M11ZW4TaixtrEKvjMPc%25253D%26orig_cvip%3Dtrue%26rt%3Dnc I don't know if I overpaid or not.... But I really wanted that network adapter. Been even looking for the SCSI one and no luck (now watch EBay get flooded with a ton of SCSI Ethernet adapters!)

Having another tape drive should be good too. It also had an internal HD, not a CF card, so this will be my "keep it stock and don't mess with it" Falcon and my old 4MB Falcon (already got the memory expansion) goes under the knife to become my flagship atari machine once I find all the mods out there and decide what I want to do with it.

Well, at least until I finally break down and get myself a Firebee!

• 2 weeks later...

There is one on Kijiji in Calgary, AB. Listed at 800. Comes with Cubase and Falcon digitizer. Looks to be in great shape.

http://calgary.kijij...QAdIdZ481524739

I've tried to contact the seller through the site, seems emails are not getting through, least a copy isn't making it back to my inbox.

That's a nice set up for the price, wouldn't mind picking it up.

I've tried to contact the seller through the site, seems emails are not getting through, least a copy isn't making it back to my inbox.

That's a nice set up for the price, wouldn't mind picking it up.

Got a reply!

See if we can get a deal worked out. Wife just looked at me with only a little disgust. That means it's ok :)

Good Luck, its a nice machine. If I had the dough, I'd be driving down to Calgary to get it myself....

Just talked to the owner. Atarian through and through :). Very nice machine, near new.

Should ship out Monday :).

Wife is going to hang me from a flag pole when she sees the bank statement. Ronald and myself will both be flying pretty high i'd imagine after he picked up the FireBee :)

I'm going to put some Falcon hardware up for sale. Will only say it's desirable.

What is the most "fair" place to list them? Going to ask top dollar, don't want to offend anyone, then kind of consider some of the more hard to find stuff an investment. I mean, look at what this Falcon cost, and I consider it an excellent deal :). One thing is I don't want to get into a "your crazy" discussion. I know there is a market forum here, Amibay (sp), then the big site. See where Amibay has specific guidelines monitoring post other than stating interest in an item. Kind of leaning that way.

Hardware from that lot? Or other stuff you have laying around?

Nothing from that unit, let set ups like that slip out of my hands twice, not again! icon_smile.gif. Be dead and gone next time a deal like that comes up. Only thing lacking there is a FAFA16.

If I start to think about a FireBee, the whole cycle starts over. At some point, i'd be buying back my own Falcons (and Sparrow and TT and on and on) :)

Edited by rustynutt