IGNORED

Ping - A Batty Adventure [2600]

Cybearg

Questions on Ping  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which version do you prefer?

• Version 1 - +points for moving, all pings cost -25 points
    • Version 2 - +points for completing levels, pings based on tokens, bonus points for not using all ping tokens

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Ping

Made in 48 hours for the April Ludum Dare.

http://youtu.be/4o2WSCxtwIk

Play

NTSC

version 1: ping.bin - version 2: ping_2.bin

PAL60

version 1: ping_PAL60.bin - version 2: ping_2_PAL60.bin

Source (NTSC) - version 1: pingsource.zip - version 2: pingsource2.zip

About

For a small bat like Ping, the world is a big, dangerous place. Will little Ping make it in her new home?

Instructions

Move using joystick, ping using echolocation with joystick fire.

Version 1

Pinging costs 25 points. You gain points by making progress to the right and by eating bugs. Try to ping as few times as possible to maximize your score.

Version 2

Remaining pings are displayed on the right side of the score. You get 4 free pings per room. Any pings over those four will cost 25 points each. Any points you have left over after completing a room will award you a bonus 25 points in addition to 50 points for completing the room. Try to ping as few times as possible to maximize your score.

Avoid owls and walls, eat bugs, and get as far as you can!

Special

Supports AtariVox high score saving. Requires an AtariVox/SaveKey module to be plugged in to controller port 2 (or emulated in Stella).

Clear your AtariVox high score for Ping with select + joystick fire while in game.

Mute the pinging sound by setting Color/BW to BW.

Have fun!

Edited by Cybearg
  • Like 5

I tried it. It's just the ping file that's not downloading. I downloaded the source ok. I'm not sure, but I think both IE and Chrome have a problem with the file being named "ping".

Odd... I use Chrome and have no problems downloading it. Let me stick it in a zip for you.

If it doesn't work, you could tide yourself over with the much superior game I made in 30 minutes.

pngbin.zip

Thanks. That one worked. I don't know what the issue was since I had no problem downloading anything else. Did Chuck Norris help with Knight Game? :)

Speaking of other games you did, I'm guessing Princess Rescue is demo only for download?

I didn't try Ping on my Harmony cart yet, but I tried it in Stella and I'm loving it. Very nice game.

Edited by BrianC

Fun game! Keeps me coming back for "just one more round". :)

I prefer the first version, the scoring there just makes it more appealing to try one more time and beat my best score (if only by a few points).

You could add a few more caves but it's not really necessary, the game is good as it is IMO.

My best score so far:

post-12950-0-05423100-1367297421_thumb.png

Fun game! Keeps me coming back for "just one more round". :)

I prefer the first version, the scoring there just makes it more appealing to try one more time and beat my best score (if only by a few points).

You could add a few more caves but it's not really necessary, the game is good as it is IMO.

My best score so far:

post-12950-0-05423100-1367297421_thumb.png

Great to hear! Glad you like it!

Out of curiosity, what is it about the first version that you prefer, scoring-wise? Do you think that the second one is too forgiving, since it doesn't take away points until you run out of ping tokens? Or do you just prefer the more constant reward of the points counting up rather than a lump reward at the end of the level?

Do you think that the second one is too forgiving, since it doesn't take away points until you run out of ping tokens? Or do you just prefer the more constant reward of the points counting up rather than a lump reward at the end of the level?

Yep, i prefer that using the ping costs points and the constant reward of points in the first version. Makes the final score more unpredictable (if that makes sense) than giving a set number of points for level progress. This adds to the "just one more round" appeal of the game IMO.

Well at the moment, it's basically done. It was a 48-hour game development contest, so unless folks have requests for something they'd really like to see, it's basically done.

I'd just like to know which version people prefer. I'm surprised how many seem to prefer version 1, since version 2 was made because I was concerned version 1 didn't give enough incentive to bother with the score.

But if there's nothing that folks would like to see and people generally prefer version 1, I'll make a PAL60 version of it. There's basically only one or two color values that need to be changed, anyway.

I definitely prefer the 2nd version, but I'm not a PAL user so don't let that affect your decision.

VERY cool game concept btw. I'm not aware of anything else like it.. at least not on any systems I play.

Edited by KevinMos3

PAL60 ROMS for each version have been added. See original post.

Also, I added a poll to see how many folks like each of the two versions. I would really like a definitive count on which prefer which, so please vote (and explain why in a post, if you are willing). Thanks!

• Like 1

Version 2 on paper sounds better, but I still need to try them. Looks like a great game! Would love random color generation with each new screen. Would add some variety...

There are a couple reasons why there aren't more colors for different screens:

1. Since echolocation is sound bounced around, it isn't in color, so you're only "seeing" the shapes, as echolocation would reveal. There's no way to tell something's color by sound (so far as I know).

2. The 2600's palette doesn't have colors that range from full brightness to black in saturated colors--only in white. That is, there are a range of colors from white to black, so each ping can fade in and fade out, but the colors only have different levels of tint. There is no range between red and black.

2mzcd34.png

Not to say it's impossible. It just may not look as smooth as a fade-in/fade-out effect, and it may not be as noticeable. With white on black, the contrast is sharp, so it's (in theory) easier to remember at a glance. It may be more difficult with colors like blue or green.

Edited by Cybearg