IGNORED

Odyssey Probe 2000 War Room PROTOTYPE?

SecondPlayCom

Well technically it is because Philips owns Magnavox which owns Odyssey which owns Probe 2000 right? Lol but yes it appears to be for Colecovision. I tried to upload pic from phone but wouldn't let me. I will try and post picture of the cart when I go home. I did post it on my twitter I'd anyone wants to see it for reference. Twitter @SecondPlayCom

Ah gotcha 5-11. Ya I'm fairly confident these aren't reproductions based on the rest of the vintage toys I got from them. I also got the Odyssey 2 Prototype cartridge but that one didn't interest me as much.

I also live only a few hours from Ft. Wayne Indiana which I believe is where the game was developed?

That's pretty interesting.

At some point I thought that most testing of games would be internal, but looks like that some companies would distribute prototypes for selected people.

Maybe for reference you would like to see this http://www.atari2600.com/ccp7/ecom-prodshow/Beamrider-PROTOTYPE-COLGAM0444.html

This is awesome. As a homebrew manufacturer/reproducer of Probe 2000 foil boxes, this caught my attention!

Now if you've come across P2K's Pursuit of the Pink Panther, or another build of Power Lords, that would be a major bonus!

BTW Secondplay, the War Room prototype you mention for the Odyssey 2 is probably more valuable than the ColecoVision cart. I don't believe any WR prototype for O2 has ever been documented. :?

Just to clarify. I posted Odyssey in the title because that was on the cartridge. I do believe this is a Colecovision cartridge? Also, the "other" Odyssey cartridge prototype I was talking about is the Killer Bees for Odyssey 2. Once again I know nothing about either of these games beyond the research I did in the last couple of days. Here is a picture of the Killer Bees game.

• Like 1

The PCB is white, unless my eyes are deceiving me, and I don't think any ColecoVision homebrew publisher has ever used white PCBs. So I'd say it's a custom job of some kind, at the very least. Nice find. :)

Ya it appears white. I have nothing to compare it too. I'm trying to get one of my friends, who owns a video game shop, to get me a colecovision to test the damn thing so I can see what's on it! lol

Also, the "other" Odyssey cartridge prototype I was talking about is the Killer Bees for Odyssey 2. Once again I know nothing about either of these games beyond the research I did in the last couple of days. Here is a picture of the Killer Bees game.

OK, I was just about to wonder if there was a previously unknown Odyssey 2 prototype around. Killer Bees is a good game, and one of the most impressive in the Odyssey 2 library.

Congrat on your big score of a couple Prototype carts. It seems like there is a run of these CV War Room Prototype cartridges currently going on seeing as a couple months ago someone else posted info and pics of their War Room Prototype cart (see pics of that one below)... unless of course that this is the same cartridge.

It's really hard to place a true value on something such as this seeing as there are at the very least two known to exist and they have never shown up for auction in the usual places. I would venture a guess that somewhere in the low $100s would be appropriate seeing as this game was officially released by Probe 2000 for purchase. The value could go up consideraly once you or someone you trust to take possession for testing and comparison to the officially released version find that the prototype is different either in a small way (title screen difference perhaps) or a big way (gameplay, graphics, music, etc.).

When it comes to prototype cartridges, the holy grail is to find one that was never officially release... such as the Pink Panther game that was mentioned above. Another big determing factor is whether the game has ever been dumped to a rom file and already shared with others.

post-25956-0-31342600-1367462750_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-14326200-1367462760_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-14069100-1367462769_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My neighbor was one of 4 salesreps working for Odyssey as they developed and introduced the gaming system. He gave me a box of sample game cartridges that the game developers at Odyssey HQ in Knoxville,Tn gave him to promote the system. I have a boxed War Room Probe 2000 that he gave out at the Consumer Electronic Show back in the early 80s. I also have hand written and typed Odyssey 2 games titled Pink Panther, Turtles, SAT Defense, Flash Point, Baseball and Timelord. Any ideas where I can go to sell them other than Ebay?

Hi,

My neighbor was one of 4 salesreps working for Odyssey as they developed and introduced the gaming system. He gave me a box of sample game cartridges that the game developers at Odyssey HQ in Knoxville,Tn gave him to promote the system. I have a boxed War Room Probe 2000 that he gave out at the Consumer Electronic Show back in the early 80s. I also have hand written and typed Odyssey 2 games titled Pink Panther, Turtles, SAT Defense, Flash Point, Baseball and Timelord. Any ideas where I can go to sell them other than Ebay?

if you truly have Pink Panther and the others listed, there should be ample interest in those outside of eBay. PM me please!

Hi,

Either on AtariAge or here:

http://www.gamegavel.com/

Any chance you could post some screenshots and pictures of the cartridges?

Wickeycolumbus: I have to get my hands on an Odyssey 2 game console to get the screen shots. I can take pictures of the cartridges but I can't get a clear picture of the hand typed/written labels. I am hopeful the cartridges will work like the 20 or so mass produced games that were stored in my neighbors attic for 25 years. All those worked. I spoke with my neighbor today and he told me that Pink Panther was the last game Odyssey was developing at the time NAP shut the Odyssey division down. He recalled what a pain in the a.. it was having to drag a life size stuffed Pink Panther to Las Vegas and Chicago for the elcetronics show. He also recalled the game developers "were a bunch of long haired, blue jean wearing flakes".

I'd love to see pics of the Pink Panther and other protos whenever you get a chance. It'd be great for this game to see the light of day, finally. Did your neighbor have any of the Odyssey3 equipment as well, since some of the mentioned games were Odyssey3 titles? It's great to see things like this come up after all these years. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.