IGNORED

Quick - the programming language

I've been playing around with the Quick programming language lately and have a couple comments and questions - assuming of course that there are some other developers using the language right now.

I find I really like the syntax and structure - it was easy to learn and the program flow is simple to follow. The speed is simply amazing - I keep wishing I had access to this language back in the early eighties. (of course using a PC with a large screen and modern text editor as the development environment helps as well!)

Is it possible to relocate the runtime code and/or the variable table? Quick seems to be designed for development, with the runtime and variable code packed up against the compiler and editor. Unfortunately, when you no longer need the compiler or editor, the Variables and Runtime are now positioned in the middle of free memory and prevent access to large contiguous memory areas. Ideally I'd like to move the runtime down to just above DOS and the Variable table all the way to the top of memory. This way I would have a contiguous block of almost 150 pages to work with instead of the standard 96.

The attached program (definitely a work in progress) seems to have some stability issues. During development I noticed a few things to definitely avoid - such as executing the same subroutine from both the main loop and the VBI - this almost always causes a crash. I'm assuming that Quick cannot handle the concurrency properly. Even after fixing this problem, I find that the program is still unstable - sometimes I can play with it for 10 or 20 minutes, sometimes it freezes within seconds. Are there known stability issues with Quick or should I be looking closer to home?

Are there any games or applications (commercial or otherwise) that are written in Quick?

Does anyone have any extended documentation (beyond the standard document file)?

Are there any good sources for programming examples that go beyond the simple demos packaged with the system?

Is version 2.2 the final version? Are any updates/upgrades planned for the future?

SCROLL.txt

SCROLL.xex

• Like 1

Are there any games or applications (commercial or otherwise) that are written in Quick?

AFAIK "Glaggs It!" a KLAX-clone was created in Quick!

http://atari.fandal....p?files_id=4041

Back then I tweaked the font and background, as I found the original too plain...

Also the character set editor "Quick Ed" was created with this language and my

"MegaFont Texter" (a page design program with advanced printing features).

What is missing today, is a cross compiler as the development on the Atari isn't very comfortable and suffers from memory limitations...

post-7778-0-08616300-1367401372_thumb.png

Rubberball is another game done by the authors of Quick as a teaser what you can do with it. http://atari.fandal....p?files_id=4308

A good source for more information about Quick and some sourcecode is QuickMagazin and don't forgt to fly by at http://atariwiki.str....jsp?page=Quick

Some sources of my own are located here within this forum. Last one I posted was within the thread about the match 3 games.

In the 90s I wrote a discmagazine (ECS Info Mag) in Quick language. If time didn't kill the discs, I might try to do a copy for you.

PS: It seems that your DL might be not right. The emulator (Altirra) shows many glitches above and below the game screen. Even the DLI/VBI could cause that, when there is to much time used.

The issues don't be able to call the routine twice surely is a matter of used variables. Not having looked into your source, but might be because not using local variables. May be you don't save/restore accu,x and y of the 6502 correct - that could also cause some strange things.

Edited by pps
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

AFAIK "Glaggs It!" a KLAX-clone was created in Quick!

http://atari.fandal....p?files_id=4041

Back then I tweaked the font and background, as I found the original too plain...

Also the character set editor "Quick Ed" was created with this language and my

"MegaFont Texter" (a page design program with advanced printing features).

What is missing today, is a cross compiler as the development on the Atari isn't very comfortable and suffers from memory limitations...

Link is broken.

• 3 years later...