IGNORED

Why was the IBM PC so successful?

Backward compatibility was a huge reason I got into PCs. Stuff me dad's 286 ran also worked on my 486, and even later into the Pentium III epoch.

But, that's a waning thing. And marketing wants all of it to go away anyways. So much that intel's drones are killing off the BIOS as we know it come 2022 if not earlier. BIOS is a severe impediment to improving profits.

Backward compatibility was a huge reason I got into PCs. Stuff me dad's 286 ran also worked on my 486, and even later into the Pentium III epoch.

But, that's a waning thing. And marketing wants all of it to go away anyways. So much that intel's drones are killing off the BIOS as we know it come 2022 if not earlier. BIOS is a severe impediment to improving profits.

BIOS is seriously outdated.

If you need backwards compatibility, and your PC natively can't offer it, there are tons of options: Virtualbox, DosBox, PCem, Bochs, and more. Some are more in-depth than others. But one of them will be able run your old stuff at full-speed or better

• 2 weeks later...

IBM had studied the market and the systems that came before the PC. IBM took a lot of the best features and concepts already out there, and built upon that. They even re-used ideas and parts from their own System/23 DataMaster.

They didn't have to waste time and effort being overly innovative. They simply combined together what actually worked, with some minor refinements coming from the natural progression of technology.

BIOS is seriously outdated.

If you need backwards compatibility, and your PC natively can't offer it, there are tons of options: Virtualbox, DosBox, PCem, Bochs, and more. Some are more in-depth than others. But one of them will be able run your old stuff at full-speed or better

BIOS will be completely dead with new machines in 2020. Modern Intel firmware is call UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface). Many people and even PC manufactures call UEFI ...BIOS to avoid confusing people who are used to a traditional PC BIOS. https://www.howtogeek.com/56958/htg-explains-how-uefi-will-replace-the-bios/

Edited by thetick1