IGNORED

Luchsenstein 3D

obschan

After countless work hours, 108 Stars and I are presenting the playable Luchstenstein 3D demo.

The main goal for us was to see what we could do with the engine and then hopefully make plan for a full content game.

Keys :

A : shoot

B : strafe

Option 1 : open doors

I would like to personally thank 108 Stars for his patience working with me painfully limiting his creative and artistic mind ! :)

Luchs3d.zip

• Like 12

My regards go out to obschan who made this incredible piece of software possible. This may be close to how a Wolfenstein 3D version for the Lynx might have turned out had the Tramiels pulled the sticks out of their butts.

I was so impressed with obschan's 2012 demo I offered my help; such an impressive engine must not go to waste. The full game will have nothing to do with Wolfenstein of course, but we thought it was a good example for the demo as everybody knows that game and can compare. I think it looks surprisingly close, even if it is not a full featured conversion; but hey, even the Jaguar version lacks much of the PC-original's gameplay.

This was also meant to be our entry to the coding competition, but since nobody else contributed we release it just as a free goodie for everyone. :)

Also thanks to sh3-rg for helping out with some files. :)

• Like 5

Wow, I had a quick look at this in the train (couldn't turn on the sound, but expect it to be there) and the graphics are amazing. I would never have thought this was possible in the Lynx.

Also, I think the name is brilliant. At first I thought it was some tribute to Der Luchs, until I realized that Luchs is the German word for Lynx. :$ Well, it only took me 20 years or so to realize that the Pentagon was a five-sided building, so this is pretty quick for me.

Congratulations to obschan and 108stars. A Herculean effort it must have been. Great stuff. Love to read the Retro Gamer Magazine homebrew article on this. Jason Kelk, are you reading this?

• Like 2

Wow, I had a quick look at this in the train (couldn't turn on the sound, but expect it to be there) and the graphics are amazing.

Thanks a lot. And yes, there is sound; a crystal clear voice sample in the disclaimer, title and end music and basic sound effects in the game.

Also, I think the name is brilliant. At first I thought it was some tribute to Der Luchs, until I realized that Luchs is the German word for Lynx. :$ Well, it only took me 20 years or so to realize that the Pentagon was a five-sided building, so this is pretty quick for me.

Thanks again; I just thought it was a perfect fit, with the original having its name from a wolf, and the scenario being German. Also helps not to infringe a trademark. :P

Love to read the Retro Gamer Magazine homebrew article on this. Jason Kelk, are you reading this?

Yeah, let's hope RG staff sees this. :)

Edited by 108 Stars

Thank you so much for this :)

I have already found some goodies but haven´t played through the full demo yet. This is a big leap forward from obschans very first demo shooting a ghost.

On Pandora-Handy it plays great, looking forward to get it run on the flashcart tonight!

Direct question: Are there already secret ways or can I save my energy knocking against every wall and picture in every room? ;)

No, Luchsenstein is just a joke. It translates to "Lynxenstein". Lynxenstein/Wolfenstein. ;)

@atari_afternoon

No secret passages sadly. But a dramatic storyline told in a cutscene in between levels. :)

EDIT: Just tweeted a screenshot to John Carmack and he replied. :)

He said he had planned to use the Lynx vertically " to make efficient use of the scaling hardware for column stretching". So the official Wolfenstein 3D would have been quite different. :)

BTW, here's screenshots for people who can't play it.

zfprml19s6yb.png1t2gn5j7lie8.png

blxvb44c4vfo.pngzsf79yo31erv.png

:cool: Looks good. Is this a portal rendering engine or a raycast engine?

It's... an engine alright, the rest is up to obschan to explain.^^

BTW, we will graciously give you permisson to do Luchsenstein 7800 or Intellistein; hell, the Intellivision has a 1st person game already, might be good. :)

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 4

Well, played some more and got to the end boss (nice storyline. LOL. I know about your wild and funny fantasies 108, so it was your fiction? ;) )

I lost, so it begs for more playing. I like that.

What I think is one of the great assets of this game, besides graphics, is the smooth gameplay. My oh my, does it run without hickups. A superb frame rate!! This makes it a joy to play. I mean: I really loved Steel Talons despite its slow 3 frames per second rate. But this must be well over 20, 30 maybe.

So, obschan, start bragging about the details of the engine. I would like to know what it is capable of (in numbers) after seeing it in action like this.

• Like 2

EDIT: Just tweeted a screenshot to John Carmack and he replied. :)

He said he had planned to use the Lynx vertically " to make efficient use of the scaling hardware for column stretching". So the official Wolfenstein 3D would have been quite different. :)

Waaaa !

Ah yeah I thought about that too, but was wondering how to get a good gameplay in that position...

Edited by obschan