IGNORED

PS2 mouse on TI99 ;)

rocky007

I don't think Rich is trying to tell you that your code sucks.. I think he is trying to showcase how RXB can help you out.

i know ! :-D i simply agreed with myself that my code is not at all optimised, help is alway welcome . it's possible to accelerate by 30%.

Impressive work Rocky! Perhaps this could be turned into a small adapter. Like it you use the joystick adapter. Would that work with a trackball as well? Either way, this calls for a Missile Command version for the TI-99/4A.

thanks ! the proto is big, but it could be done on 30mmx30mm PCB without problem. i can do it if some peoples are interested.

you can connect a PS2 trackball without problem. Today, I added a poto on the adapter to adjust the sensibility -> depending of the speed of the TI program, you can now modifiy the speed & precision in realtime.

It calls for a lot of programs : update version of TI Artist :D , Arkanoid, Pong, wargames, point & click game, strategy games, etc..

Edited by rocky007

Here it a new version 23% faster than the previous one.

10 CALL CLEAR

20 DIM S(60)

30 S(48)=1 :: S(52)=2 :: S(4)=4 :: S(20)=8

40 S(16)=-1 :: S(28)=-2 :: S(12)=-4 :: S(60)=-8

50 CALL JOYST(1,X1,Y1) :: CALL JOYST(2,X2,Y2)

60 X=S((X1 AND 12)*4+(Y1 AND 12)) :: Y=S((X2 AND 12)*4+(Y2 AND 12))

70 PRINT "X :";x;" Y :";y

80 GOTO 50

Edited by rocky007

yes, i agree, my code really suck. I'm thinking how to operate on the bits to do it faster.

By the way, have you a disk version of RXB ?

Not really. RXB is exactly like XB in a Cart but you need a GRAM device or one of the RXB carts made by a few outlets over the years.

There has been talk of making a RXB cart by a few.

wow, haven't experienced that before, my post got duplicated a couple of times. Erased the double stuff.

I have had that happen to me several time on my Mac OS X but not on Windows. It normally is a badly written we app that uses a Windows only type of web app.

Also using Unbuntu I had it happen to me so that is why I think it favors Windows.

• 1 year later...

after long long time ago, here it is an update about this project...and i hope you'll enjoy it.

Actually, the adapter offer a full bidirectional 8 bit communication trough the TI99 joystick port...and will offer :

- USB Mouse support to TI99 ( 90% completed )

- Megadrive 3 buttons controller support ( 70% completed )

- Atari Paddle support ( 90% completed )

- Atari Touch Tablet support ( 70% completed )

- Playstation 3 & 4 wireless controller support ( 70% completed )

- 4 Players Atari joystick support ( 100% completed )

- Atari Joystick support ( 100% completed )

- 1 analog input 8 bit jack 3.5 ( 100% completed )

The most important, all these function ARE 100% fully compatible with TI BASIC, without any assembler and any extenstion...just the TI-99 and the interface and totally controlled by the TI or manually.

By exemple, if you code a game using the Atari Paddle, you can switch to this this mode only with TI Basic. You can also configure all parameters by TI BASIC ( exemple : switch 6 or 8 bit resolution ). Of course, any language can use it. More faster language is, better is.

I also added 1 analog input, i think it could be fun to input some other data type to TI99 ( by exemple to check the light in the room, checking a microphone, etc... )

The board will be a Arduino compatible shield, totally open source. It means that everybody can add other support to the firmware, it's totally upgradable.

( by exemple, Wii Remote, Xbox , Light pen support,... )

This little video just show you a analog signal converted to a 8 bit digital signal and drawed on TI99...in fact, the first TI-oscilloscope ;)

Just a small exemple to use 4 joystick on TI99 in TI BASIC :

10 CALL JOYST( 2, x,y) -> will return X,Y on joystick 1

20 CALL JOYST( 1, x,y) -> will return X,Y on joystick 2

30 CALL JOYST( 1, x,y) -> will return X,Y on joystick 3

40 CALL JOYST( 1, x,y) -> will return X,Y on joystick 4

for usb mouse / paddle / analog line / touch tablet :

10 CALL JOYST( 2, x,y) -> will return X axis high 4 bit

20 CALL JOYST( 1, x,y) -> will return X axis low 4 bit

30 CALL JOYST( 1, x,y) -> will return Y axis high 4 bit

40 CALL JOYST( 1, x,y) -> will return Y axis low 4 bit

for PS3 / PS4 controller ( depending of configuration : 4 buttons or 8 buttons, analog or digital controller )

in simple digital controller + 4 buttons mode :

10 CALL JOYST( 2, x,y) -> will return joystick direction

20 CALL JOYST(1, x,y ) -> will return 4 buttons states

in analog + 4 buttons mode ( ok, i agree, in TI Basic, it become really slow ) :

10 CALL JOYST( 2, x,y) -> will return X axis high 4 bit

20 CALL JOYST( 1, x,y) -> will return X axis low 4 bit

30 CALL JOYST( 1, x,y) -> will return Y axis high 4 bit

40 CALL JOYST( 1, x,y) -> will return Y axis low 4 bit

50 CALL JOYST( 1, x,y ) -> will return 4 buttons states

for megadrive ( depending of configuration : 3 buttons or 5 buttons ) :

3 buttons configuration :

10 CALL JOYST( 2, x,y) -> will return joystick direction

20 CALL JOYST(1, x,y ) -> will return 3 buttons states

The final interface will be released for the end of this year, including Pong ( Paddle compatible ), Bomberman ( 4 Atari joystick compatible ) and a simple graphic program using mouse or touch tablet.

• Like 6

i want a nice factory made PCB for myself, so if people are interested , i can produce more.

i will release in any case the schematics.

the shield would need an arduino mega, so i can supply it or you can buy it directly on internet for 18 $

i'm also designing the case to be 3D printed.

a 8 bit analog line included, you can do what you want with it : connect what you want between 0 and 3.3V, and get the value on TI BASIC between 0 and 255 ;)

It could used also as sound sampler !

Dumb question but when you mean sound sampling, can one use MIDI to control sound? If so I'd be all about that!

no, sound sampling is connecting a audio source to the TI, and digitalize it to play it back on TI.

About midi support, i tought it, but abandonned the idea caused by extra cost and the need of coding a midi software on TI.

Hopefully, it still possible, even after the release : a simple midi->db9 adapter and a firmware update can do the job !

no, sound sampling is connecting a audio source to the TI, and digitalize it to play it back on TI.

About midi support, i tought it, but abandonned the idea caused by extra cost and the need of coding a midi software on TI.

Hopefully, it still possible, even after the release : a simple midi->db9 adapter and a firmware update can do the job !

Midi software for the TI has been available for about 20 years, 'Midi-Master 99'.

Gazoo

I'd love some midi support! My mind is now filled with ideas of connecting the Ti to my sequencer and synthesizers. Don't abandon midi completely leave a little glimmer of hope for me. :)

Midi software for the TI has been available for about 20 years, 'Midi-Master 99'.

Gazoo

I've never heard of this, do you have any links to more info? :)

Wish this showed how it was interfaced with the TI, I googled it but can't find any info. Does anyone have the program still?

I have the program, but not sure if I can find the original disks since it's on my harddrive and configured as such.

Cable is a simple DB25 to DIN5 for output from TI RS232 to MIDI. For Input to TI RS232 from Midi a resistor is added, but I don't have the original cables either.

Maybe someone else has the original disk and cables and can supply more info.

Gazoo

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Very cool so I wondered if RXB could access this using my CALL IO(type,bits,CRUbase,variable) ! type=2,bits=8,CRUbase=joystick address/2,variable=bit value)

Using this command you could read the CRU bits from the Input/Output chip and use the values.

Here is an example that reads all the CRU lines of the Keyboard and shows them working:

100 DISPLAY AT(1,1)ERASE ALL:"THIS PROGRAM CHECKS FOR	 UNUSUAL KEYS BEING PRESSED, EVEN IF MORE THAN FOUR KEYS ARE BEING PRESSED AT ONCE"
110 CALL IO(2,16,3,A,B) :: IF A=18 AND B=255 THEN 110 ELSE CALL HPUT(24,3,RPT$(" ",30),24,24,STR$(A)&" "&STR$(B))
120 IF A=146 THEN CALL HPUT(24,3,"FUNCTION KEY")ELSE IF B=191 THEN CALL HPUT(24,3,"CONTROL KEY")ELSE IF B=223 THEN CALL HPUT(24,3,"SHIFT KEY")
130 IF B=251 THEN CALL HPUT(24,3,"ENTER KEY")ELSE IF B=253 THEN CALL HPUT(24,3,"SPACE BAR")ELSE IF B=254 THEN CALL HPUT(24,3,"PLUS/EQUAL KEY")
140 GOTO 110
Would not be hard to modify for reading the joystick ports and using the command. For example you can put more then one CALL IO in one command up to check 10 CRU lines at one time in one command.

Here is a video I made of the demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHTHDngNMcE

Rich

rich i missed out years ago on rich xb can i still buy it in ti format thanx

Or start looking into a collab project to being developing the uberFlashGROM99. ;)

Not that I'm hinting at anything of course…

All that should be required is to drop another AVR on the board (or use one big enough to run both the flasher software and the GROM emulation)... the GROM Emulation code is pretty simple. :)

• Like 2