• Blackjack
    • Basic Math
    • Combat
    • Indy 500
    • Starship
    • Street Racer
    • Surround
    • Video Olympics

Envision yourself as a typical teenager in 1977. It had been raining all about and your family had decided to remain home. You had been fortunate enough to own an Atari VCS/2600 and the 9 launch titles- of those titles, which would you most likely play?

I was that teenager in the fall of 1977. My family bought every launch title as they became available through Sears (less Math).

I played each single player game to death. And I would have friends over to play the four player games .. Yes we did buy a second set of paddles in 1977.

If I have to choose .. It's still Indy 500 (Race) for both the single and the two player games.

No love for Basic Math, eh? :lolblue:

I really like the Driving Controller, I wish more games used it. It's what makes Indy 500 so unique.

As far as 2 player games go, Air Sea Battle is the way to go. It's one of my favorite 2600 games.

Good call, voted.

I picked both Indy 500 and Video Olympics - neither has a really good single-player variant, but let's pretend for a moment that Indy 500 counts as one.

Starship and Air-Sea Battle would be close runner-ups, Combat just a notch behind. To be honest the choice is extremely hard for me as personally - I think of those five as the games that defined the system at the time and for like next 3-4 years.

Simple but informative and clean graphics - almost like icons/tokens, multiple gameplay variations (to the point of being almost different games in one package), color-coded scores, rounds timed to hit the attention-span sweet spot, etc. And all of those are heavily two-player oriented unlike what I think of as Second Wave or Activision domination time.

Edited by Mef

Street Racer ftw, followed by Video Olympics, Air Sea Battle, Surround, Indy 500, Combat, BlackJack, Star Ship, and Basic Math.