IGNORED

What is the best home port of Donkey Kong?

Donkey Kong......or as I sometimes call it - Monkey Donkey.

In the olden days, outside of the arcade game, I played the 2600 version until the C64 version from Atari came along.

I despised the C64 version from Atari even though many consider it among the best versions - I didn't like the slow speed, graphic layout, control, and ugly colors.

BUT, the Ocean version of DK is excellent and I play that on the VICE and CCS64 emulator (in PAL mode of course).

In modern times i've come to appreciate the Atari 8-bit version the most, it's fast, challening, and graphically appealing with top notch control and play it regularly.

I hear the TI99 version is very good but never played it.

If you factor in release date, the ColecoVision version has to be the one. It was released in 1982, just a year after the arcade, all the other ports came later, some much later and too late to count (NES, 7800). It's not perfect, but it blew us away at the time. It's easier, so it's great for kids, which is what most of us were at the time.

I have a question about the ADAM version: How is it that Coleco was able to release it if Atari had exclusive home computer rights? I know that there was some intrigue about this and Atari and Nintendo relating to the North American Famicom release at CES, but that's not what I'm asking. Did Coleco eventually purchase the rights for the ADAM port from Atari?

No, they did not purchase the rights from Atari but Donkey Kong on the Adam was cartridge based and did not violate Nintendo and Atari's contract, but Coleco still did end up shelving it

Uh what? :? DK Super Game on Adam was not cartridge based, it was a DDP game. And it wasn't shelved, it was released along with other Super Games such as Donkey Kong Jr and Zaxxon.

Anyway, I think Opcode's ColecoVision version will be the definitive version once it's released later this year. It's an as-direct-as-possible port of the arcade ROM, not reprogrammed from scratch (and therefore slightly different) like the NES version. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPbrzezve60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O65B9sdGBNw

EDIT: By the way, if the videos above appear choppy, go see them directly on YouTube.com. There's nothing choppy about the actual game, believe me. ;)

• Like 1

Obviously the port Opcode is doing will be the best.

Well, I think Donkey Kong XM for the 7800 will give it a run for it's money, so maybe not so obviously.

But that's a good thing. More awesome Donkey Kong goodness...

I have to agree with some others who have posted, for the 'released at the time' versions, I think I'd go with the Coleco Adam Donkey Kong.

It looked great and was really fun to play...

desiv

I love Donkey Kong. In fact it's one of my all time favorite games. As seen in the original thread, linked in the first post, I have several different versions. In the original thread I voted for the C64 version since it has great graphics and it the most complete out of the lot. I do like them all though for the variety of gameplay they all provide. I seriously need to get some of these new ones. I see that the NES Pie Version from retrosub is currently unavailable. Says temporary so hope to get one soon. Must have the new 7800 and CV ones when they become available.

But this game has DKI and DKII.

As you can see I really enjoy the game!

The intellivision is very well served here.

http://youtu.be/nuqAc12_pNA

Thanks for the vid. That looks so awesome that I just ordered it. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Donkey Kong is one of my favorites as well and I actually do really like the 2600 version despite its limitations. Of the ones I own I like them in this order:

Atari 8-bit

Colecovision

NES

Atari 7800

Gameboy

There's a port on the Tandy Coco called Donkey King that I played all the time in the 80's its very good

Then of course there's the version that emulates the arcade version on a 512k Coco 3

• Like 1

I was blown away by the Atarisoft version for the Commodore 64 when I first played it. The graphics are great, and all four screens are included along with some animations. The Atari 8-Bit version is my second favorite, and it controls the best, in my opinion.

I'm going to flip this around and favor the Atari 8-bit version with the C64 version in second.

It'll be a treat to see how well Donkey Kong Arcade turns out for the ColecoVision.

Shameless plug: we reviewed just about all the classic home versions of Donkey Kong in Volume 1 Issue 4 of Retrocade Magazine which you can get in print from MagCloud.com or digital from StoneAgeGamer.com. ;-)

Edited by rmaerz

It's part of my Top 25 Powerpak Killer Apps editorial.

http://satoshimatrix...iller-apps-nes/

That is seriously-cool stuff, on that page! Makes me want to dig out my PowerPak. Did not know there was a 4th level added to NES. Would make it one of the best!

The Atari 8-bit computer version also gets strong, strong vintage props. I think it's more fun than the arcade, although it doesn't look as much like the arcade.

No, I didn't know that. The only time I've ever actually gotten to it was in the TI version, and I had to go through the other screens a couple of times before I got to it.

I think most (all?) the home versions follow the US board order instead of the Japanese order. That's why many people never get to see the Pie level. I'm torn on which order I like better. Honestly, I'd like a randomizer feature. :)

That's why many people never get to see the Pie level.

And when they DO get to see it (in the U.S. board order) it's at a very high difficulty already with fast conveyer belts and lots of fireballs acting crazy. :lol:

I used to say I liked the Japanese level progression better since I grew up with it. But now I think the U.S. progression is more fun, as it adds more variety in the presentation.

Retro Gaming TImes did one of their "many faces of" reviews of Donkey Kong back in 2006, with the following systems coming out on top:

• Bronze = Commodore VIC-20
  • Silver = Atari 8 bit computers
  • Gold = Commodore 64

I'm sure the VIC-20 scoring so highly will surprise many of you. Sure the graphics may be on the chunky side, but it's all there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auAtyiiMJwQ

Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 1

The best part about the Vic-20 version is that it's on a Vic-20.. ;-)

It's a fun conversion, but its an incredible conversion for the specs of the Vic-20.

I didn't have it on my top 3 or so, but probably should have. It might be the version I actually play the most. ;-)

desiv

• Like 1

The Commodore 64 version must really be special, to rate it over the excellent A8 version of DK. Seriously, every time I re-hookup an A8 and pop in Donkey Kong, I'm astounded at how faithful and fun the game is.

There is 2 DK version on C64. , one from AtariSoft , the other from Ocean.

The ocean one is closer from the arcade. And better than the A8 one.

The same Ocean version is also on Amstrad CPC and it is really good also.

c64 's ocean version

CPC's ocean version