IGNORED

What is the best home port of Donkey Kong?

Oh, if best home port means which is the most " accurate " to the original arcade DK, i would have to say MAME DK? Does MAME count as a home port? I do have MAME DK, DKjr, And DK3, forgot i had them. Plus is MAME 100% accurate as the Arcade DK? Just something i always wondered.

Edited by Rik

I do not consider myself an expert on Donkey Kong. I do not even consider myself to be particularly good at it.

If you want to count unofficial versions then that's fine. I felt that if I were to count unofficial versions there would be way too many games for me to consider, and that I would not want to step on the toes of homebrew developers. But that is my opinion, and I don't consider it any more valid than anyone elses.

Because judging a ****GAME***** by how fun it is to play is wrong because...

Because many people consider fun to be a game that isn't too tough for them to beat.

The original Donkey Kong arcade game is fun but many people don't like it because they can't get through some level.

There are also many knock offs of Donkey Kong that are "fun" but are very different than Donkey Kong.

If a game was officially licensed and legally sold as Donkey Kong then it is a legitimate version of Donkey Kong, even if there is something lacking when compared to the arcade. An officially licensed, legal, and legitimate version of Donkey Kong should *not* be disqualified no matter how crappy it is.

The question was "best home port" not "best officially licensed home port".

A very different question.

This post is just beautiful. I play the Arcade DK every time I order a pizza at a local shop and every little thing wrong with every port was nailed in this post. The internet is a better place because of it.

Thank you...It is greatly appreciated. For the record, the remake of Donkey Kong on the 7800 does not have any of the aforementioned issues :)

Perry really did a spectacular job.

Speaking of something not accurate to arcade but intentionally different and still fun to play, I throw my vote in for Champ Games "Champ Mode" Donkey Kong for DOS as a great twist on the original.

Heck, Champ Games can be voted for any one of their twist on the arcade originals. John really did a great job with all those 'Champ Modes'. Also, his Lady Bug port on the 2600 rivals the ColecoVision version.

• Like 3

Oh, if best home port means which is the most " accurate " to the original arcade DK, i would have to say MAME DK? Does MAME count as a home port? I do have MAME DK, DKjr, And DK3, forgot i had them. Plus is MAME 100% accurate as the Arcade DK? Just something i always wondered.

MAME is an emulator rather than a port. None of the code has been adapted to the host computer, it runs the original code.

FWIW, in spite of the term emulator being used for the CoCo 3 version, it is running all 6809 code.

MAME is an emulator rather than a port. None of the code has been adapted to the host computer, it runs the original code.

FWIW, in spite of the term emulator being used for the CoCo 3 version, it is running all 6809 code.

Thanx for clearing that up. :thumbsup: I am really clueless on the tech stuff and terms of it all.

2. First barrel always drops directly down.

That alone right there is one of the huge sins of the NES port that make is so much less fun than the original. One of the things that you (or at least, I) look forward to in the later levels is getting 100 pts from that first barrel when jumping right when it lands behind you. :lol:

Re: "inaccurate but fun" I have to side with many people on this one and say the Atari 400/800 version is a blast to play. It's obviously a stand alone port so to compare it's gameplay nuances with the original is just as silly as comparing the VCS version. But that said, it stands on it's own as a cool fast paced home version that everyone enjoyed. I still dig it to this day and would choose it over the NES version any time. :)

Re: Gameboy Donkey Kong.. GREAT GAME. But it is NOT Donkey Kong. It just has "versions" of the original 4 stages before showing it's true colors as a full blown platform puzzle game, which of course Donkey Kong is not. Doesn't diminish it at all though.. I loved it for what it was.

Edited by NE146
  • Like 4

^ Agreed on the A8 version, although I also really enjoy the ColecoVision and VIC-20 versions. I have no problem with the discrepancies between these home versions and the arcade.

The NES version is fun but there's something missing in for me that makes it less captivating. I have yet to figure out what is missing that makes me enjoy it less.

What I look for is what the home ports provided that the arcade games didn't: difficulty levels, game variations, and, ideally, an amped up level of fun since they're not made to gobble quarters.

This is something that you can really take advantage of with Perry's Donkey Kong remake on the 7800. ;)

For example, let's set the bar for playing all four boards outside of Japan region arcade machines. That requires getting to Level 3. So, for the Donkey Kong remake on the 7800 you can...

Play exactly like the Arcade:

Start Level = 1 / Screen Order = US / Difficulty: Arcade (Game's default setting)

post-18-0-03603400-1395067989_thumb.png

OR... Say you want to keep the same level of difficulty while automatically starting the game at level 3, so you have all four-boards without 'working' to get there:

Start Level = 3 / Screen Order = US / Difficulty: Arcade

post-18-0-87599100-1395067836_thumb.png

BUT...That's a little too hard...You want all four boards and one level less difficult:

Start Level = 2 / Screen Order = Japan / Difficulty: Arcade

post-18-0-91468700-1395067880_thumb.png

STILL...Not easy enough...And you want to play those four boards:

Start Level = 1 / Screen Order = Japan / Difficulty: Arcade

post-18-0-33054800-1395067922_thumb.png

Is there something even easier than that to play all four boards? Sure enough...

Start Level = 1 / Start Order = Japan / Difficulty: Novice

post-18-0-32085400-1395067966_thumb.png

Note too that you can use that Arcade --> Novice setting to make easier any of the aforementioned selections.

Truly a plethora of options (The above just touches on some) to start and play Donkey Kong. No other port offers so many options and variety of settings...Bravo, Perry! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My view of home ports was shaped back when it was expected that they wouldn't be arcade-perfect. So, arcade-perfection isn't important to me. I can always fire up MAME if I want that. What I look for is what the home ports provided that the arcade games didn't: difficulty levels, game variations, and, ideally, an amped up level of fun since they're not made to gobble quarters.

Just my .02.

I also like the fact that home ports are a bit different from the arcade (assuming the port runs well). It's like getting a good remix album.

If you factor in release date, the ColecoVision version has to be the one. It was released in 1982, just a year after the arcade, all the other ports came later, some much later and too late to count (NES, 7800). It's not perfect, but it blew us away at the time. It's easier, so it's great for kids, which is what most of us were at the time.

I have a question about the ADAM version: How is it that Coleco was able to release it if Atari had exclusive home computer rights? I know that there was some intrigue about this and Atari and Nintendo relating to the North American Famicom release at CES, but that's not what I'm asking. Did Coleco eventually purchase the rights for the ADAM port from Atari?

Coleco made it without permission from Atari. I guess they thought they could do it because the Adam was their system and was sort of a console

If you factor in release date, the ColecoVision version has to be the one. It was released in 1982, just a year after the arcade, all the other ports came later, some much later and too late to count (NES, 7800). It's not perfect, but it blew us away at the time. It's easier, so it's great for kids, which is what most of us were at the time.

I have a question about the ADAM version: How is it that Coleco was able to release it if Atari had exclusive home computer rights? I know that there was some intrigue about this and Atari and Nintendo relating to the North American Famicom release at CES, but that's not what I'm asking. Did Coleco eventually purchase the rights for the ADAM port from Atari?

Coleco made it without permission from Atari. I guess they thought they could do it because the Adam was their system and was sort of a console