IGNORED

Fallen Angels

DrTypo

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Dr Typo, I know this is an old topic and an old release of yours now (3 years old now) but I really wanted to give you some feedback on this game. I was really impressed with what you've created here. Its really nice to see somebody try and actually PUSH the Jaguar vs creating 2D 8 bit/16 bit style games. Theres nothing wrong with those mind you, but there arent enough projects that really push the hardware and embrace the Jaguars 3D capabilities like this one does. This game reminds me of the Defender remake for PS2 and gamecube back in the early 2000s. I really like the theme and speed of everything. My only suggestions are maybe use a slightly higher resolution sprite for the pilots who run toward your ship and possibly fill the playfield with more enemies on each level. Other than those small things this game is pretty awesome and I hope you haven't abandoned it. Are there any new updates on the project? It would be really interesting to see an update to this one the potential is there for an epic Jaguar game. Just my 2 cents :)

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...

Wow! This game is great! This game is beautiful and sounds great! This kind of imagination is one of the things that was lacking during the original production run of jaguar games.

I played this on a CD made from the package in post #27 and it seems to run perfectly on my JagCD.

I never played the original RoF but this reminds me a bit of a game that I played on PC called Terminal Velocity. (Had to get my Rage3d drivers just right for that one to work!)

I can't wait wait to see what you and your team will do next, DrTypo!

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by XM05ES

It's sad that we've seen some releases on cart that are, frankly, pure shit, yet this gem of a homebrew is hardly known.

It really deserves a proper cart release - even though I can play it on my Skunk, I'd pay a reasonable price for an official release.

• Like 3

How can I play this on my Jaguar CD? No skunkboard :'/

Made this .cdi file in Linux using Hyper_Eye's posts on page 4. ( :thumbsup: ) Burned and tested it just now. Plays great.

Can download/unzip it & burn to a cdr with Imgburn at the slowest speed possible :cool:

Then, it should play fine on your JagCD.

jag_jiffi.cdi.zip

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Jiffi is the easy part: http://www.huntsvega...s/JiFFI-Mac.zip

It is fully functional. If I can come up with a solution to burn the image then Windows will not be needed for this task. As it is you could run a lightweight Linux distro inside vbox and still do it completely with free software, with no need to reboot your Mac, and no need for bootcamp.

Also, Virtual Jaguar runs natively on Mac, Linux, and Windows (and Xbox too.)

I tried running the JiFFI-Mac application this morning, but it crashed under 10.10.5 Yosemite. Would I need to run it under something like 10.6.8 Snow Leopard? Would that work? Thanks. :)

Hello,

I am a Mac user too and I didn't knew there was a Mac version for Jiffi.

I am using the PC version ruuning it on my Mac with Wine and it works well: it converts the file into the .cdi file and it works under Yosemite, El Capitan and now Sierra:

8wNo.jpg

I would be interested if you know Mac software to burn the cdi file on CD-R as so far I am using Discjuggler PC.

Virtual Jaguar Mac works well too under Sierra:

nuiG.jpg

I wrote a tuto earlier this year to explain how to get VJ Mac and how to make it works here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247783-virtual-jaguar-for-mac-need-for-qt-4-help-help/page-3

Edited by Felyx

Thank you for sharing Jiffi for Mac but I am surprised: first the file is huge (160Mo) while Jiffi PC is very light (7.8 Mo) and on my Mac it crashes under Sierra at start with that error message:

88ld.jpg

Since Yosemite X11 has been replaced by Quartz: I suppose this is the reason why it crashes :?

Any help to solve the problem?

Even if like said previously I am already using Jiffi PC version on my Mac, this is cool to have Mac apps for the Jag.

Edited by Felyx

Yeah. I suppose that the Mac version of JiFFI needs some more tweaking to work correctly, because as soon as it starts up, it crashes about five seconds later. Also, I have problems with running DiscJuggler under WINE on my Mac under Yosemite 10.10.5. I cannot burn with it for some reason on my Mac. Is there something that I am lacking concerning these applications? I know that I am off-topic about DiscJuggler, but I would love to see it work under my Mac environment. I also use a universal drive adapter to run an external burner. Could that be the problem? Sorry for being off-topic about that, but I am curious and I thought that I should throw that out there. Thanks.

Edited by jericho_21

I'm enjoying the game (via emulation) but I'll have to get it onto the Skunk one of these days.

FYI - Using Liquid CD for Mac it recognises the .CDI file but thinks it's audio (and smaller than the source file? e.g. 4MB for BIWN) so I haven't bothered to try burning with it. DiscJuggler runs fine under WINE, but it can't recognise my DVD burning as a compatible device (I'm using a three year old MBP). UltraISO recognises the .CDI tracks as audio as well (weird) but I went ahead to try to convert it to Nero format and it said it would take several days! It sucks, but it looks like the only way to get this working is under Bootcamp or using a Windows PC. It shouldn't be this hard, but I'm not going to spend too much more time trying to get it to work on my Mac.

Jag CDs are multi session audio disks.

True. That they are. I guess that if I want to burn CDIs I will have to buckle down and go the PC route. My iMac no longer has a SuperDrive in it, as previously stated, because I needed extra hard drive space. So, I sacrificed it. It has its pros and cons, but it is overall a good experience for me. Anyway, would DiscJuggler recognize a standalone external CD/DVD burner? It seems that my universal drive adapter (UDA) is not being recognized by DiscJuggler in WINE or VirtualBox under Windows 7 Ultimate. This is what I use to connect my internal Blu-Ray burner to my iMac, but the connection isn't exactly perfect. I think that it may be a driver issue, but it works otherwise without drivers. I am stumped. If anybody has ideas, I will appreciate it. Sorry again for being off-topic. I know this a topic about "Fallen Angels," and not really about disc burners and their capabilities when connected to UDAs. Thanks again for any and all advice. :)

Edited by jericho_21

Hey guys, thanks for bumping this thread. Otherwise I would never have found this.

Loved "Rescue on Fractalus" on my Atari 800, and this game captures that game-play beautifully.

Thank you to Dr. Typo!

Yeah, I second the thanks. It really is a great conversion of "Rescue on Fractalus." Kudos. :D

• 9 months later...

I just got this yesterday on a Jag cartridge and this game is awesome! I didn't know you were supposed to rescue pilots, instead I was blowing up the ships then next thing I had a game over. I guess the point of the game is to pickup the pilots vs shooting the ships!

One thing I did notice as far as my gameplay was the hit detection is off for the ships. If you shoot in the general direction of the downed ships they will straight blow up and then says "pilot killed" So it registers a hit to the ship even if not shot directly at it, just in the direction of it

I am not playing this on an emulator (can't get any emulators to work for the Jaguar on my cell phone, raspberry pi, or my laptop) and I don't own a skunkboard. Paid a price for the cart that had it on there.