IGNORED

What is the best second Generation console?

What is your Favorite second Gen console out of Atari 2600, Intellivision, and Colecovision? And Why. Provide specific examples why it is your favorite and the games you liked for it.

Personally I prefer the Colecovision for its good arcade ports and cool accessories and you gotta love the pack in Donkey Kong

I prefer the Colecovision for its good arcade ports and cool accessories

Ditto, I have not played an intellevision but from what I see its not much a step up from the 2600, both splat big chunky pixels up and basic sounds, CV on the other hand was running a slimmed down version of the real arcade hardware in many cases

I will admit the controls on the ole vcs seem just a tad more responsive vs the CV, maybe design, maybe from the CV having to work harder to produce what it did

Of those 3, my order would be ColecoVision, Atari 2600, and Intellivision. The ColecoVision was truly stunning when it came along.

But that's not really the full menagerie of what was available. Taking in all of the major pre-crash consoles, my list would be:

1. Vectrex. Amazing even today. The effect of vector graphics still cannot be perfectly emulated. The system has excellent controllers and many great arcade-style games.

2. ColecoVision. The driving controller with Turbo has to be experienced at least once. Many other great arcade ports and some fun exclusives.

3. Atari 5200. A mostly different set of arcade ports from the ColecoVision with a more mainstream feel. With properly rebuilt controllers the 5200 provides a great gaming experience.

4. Atari 2600. There are so many titles for this system that it's difficult not to find at least a few dozen for anyone to like.

5. Bally Astrocade. The ergonomic controllers are a pleasant change from the other systems, and there are some great exclusive titles. It's a quirky system with an inconsistent game library, but it has an undeniable charm.

6. Intellivision. An acquired taste with less emphasis on arcade-style play in the game library. The controllers are love-or-hate... and in my case hate. I enjoy many of the games, but the controllers drive me nuts both now and in the early 80s.

7. Odyssey 2. I like this system and its controllers more than the Intellivision, but there aren't enough games to push it higher in the list.

The top 3 are my "perfect pre-crash trifecta" of systems, each providing a different take on "bringing the arcade experience home."

Edited by akator

I'd have to say the 'ole 2600, for the fact that it's the one I've had the most hands-on time with by far, and it has a huge library. It's also really interesting to see some games on it that theoretically shouldn't be possible.

TBH I don't know who came up with this generation stuff but imo 2600, Inty, and maybe some minor consoles around there should be a separate and distinct era from Coleco, 5200 and other pre-NES consoles

This is the first time I've seen reference material for placing either console in third gen. I don't think I'd describe the Coleco as an NES competitor though

TBH I don't know who came up with this generation stuff but imo 2600, Inty, and maybe some minor consoles around there should be a separate and distinct era from Coleco, 5200 and other pre-NES consoles

Oh God... Not that generation debacle debate again... :ponder:

I'll just say that my fav is the ColecoVision and leave it at that.

• Like 1

The Atari 2600. The Atari 2600 had the best and biggest 2nd generation Libarary.

When I think of the 2nd generation, I think of Atari 2600, Intellivision, Channel F, Odyssey 2,Astrocade, and RCA Studio II as 2nd generation game consoles.

To me, Game Consoles released in 1977 shouldn't in the same game generation as the consoles that came out in 1982.

I consider the Atari 5200, vectrex, Arcadia 2000 and Colecovision 3rd generation systems. I consider the 7800, SMS, and the Nes 4th generation.

Edited by 8th lutz

The Colecovision and Atari 5200 are a generation up from the Atari 2600 and Intellivision. They came out around 5 years later and were more advanced. But the Atari 2600 was still popular and readily competing with the more advanced systems, to the extent that Coleco released an adapter for playing 2600 games, so that blurs the generational line.

Edited by mbd30

Assuming we're agreed that Second Generation = Channel F, Studio II, Atari VCS, Bally Arcade, Odyssey 2, APF M/P1000, and Intellivision...

...from a pure hardware perspective, the "best" is, unsurprisingly, the Intellivision. A runner-up would be the Bally. Both sported relatively high-resolution graphics (the Bally in particular looked amazing for its time) and unique, advanced controllers. The Bally suffered from a limited palette, but this was balanced somewhat by absolutely killer sound. Both could be transformed into limited computer systems, but both required external accessories (Bally: Bally BASIC cartridge; Intellivision: ECS module + computer keyboard) to be used as such. But then, also unsurprisingly, the Intellivision could ultimately go places the Bally could not. See the INTV Corp. releases for examples.

From a games perspective, I'm going to say Intellivision. People are saying Atari for the sheer number of games, but I think they're forgetting that all those games can also be run on an Intellivision through the System Changer. Intellivision library + Atari VCS library = slam dunk in my book.

There are plenty of things I like very much about each of these consoles, though. Even the Studio II. :-D

The 2600 stomped on its competitors for at least two "generations" and it ruled the budget roost for a third. It has also wreaked some havoc in the Jakks style built in games market recently. Just look at the sales figures for every other system that was made during the time the 2600 was also made and you'll see all the proof you need. :)

Oh, as for hardware? The 2600 was the meager little console that "could". Superior hardware rarely wins out at the retail counter.

Edited by shadow460

Of the three listed, I'd say the colecovision is the "best", and IF as much effort on new games went into that console as the VCS, the Colecovision library would probably be better than the VCS library. The intellivision machine was more limited than the VCS in many ways, and it's library basically sucks with a few exceptions, in my opinion (maybe because I hate sports games anyway).

Oh, and skip that generational terminology when referring to the first decade or so of video games as so much technology was changing and improving that pretty much everything introduced had innovations and specifications of one type or another that leap-frogged whatever was already available.

With, and after the NES, you can make a case for a generational horserace between the big game console companies. But when was 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation? That's like asking when was the first generation of humans...

• Like 3

Of the three listed, in order:

1) 2600 - best game selection, most absolutely killer and re-playable games

2) Intellivision - awesome original games, lots of variety, solid arcade ports

3) Colecovision - too many games play choppy to me, and the stock controllers are second worst only to the 7800. The Super Action Controllers are great, though. Definitely some good games, but I'd almost always rather play other systems.

If you include other systems of the era, I'd put 5200 above Colecovision in the 3 spot, and Odyssey 2 just behind at 4. I'd like to put Vectrex in there somewhere, but I've only played one briefly and never owned one.

Of the ones you listed, VCS was my first love and favorite. Sheer number of quality titles wins out in this one.

Of the 2nd generation, 5200 is my favorite due largely to its excellent colors and library of arcade titles from that era.

The intellivision machine was more limited than the VCS in many ways, and it's library basically sucks with a few exceptions...

There are a lot more than a few exceptions. ;)

(maybe because I hate sports games anyway)

Maybe you hate adventure, arcade, and strategy games, too? :P

AD&D, AD&D: Treasure of Tarmin, Thunder Castle, Burgertime, Diner, Centipede, Commando, River Raid, Astrosmash, Utopia, Shark Shark!, Dig Dug, Q*Bert, Venture, Sewer Sam, Night Stalker, Demon Attack, Pitfall!, Bump 'N' Jump, Microsurgeon, Pac-Man, The Dreadnaught Factor, Dracula, Nova Blast, Beauty and The Beast, Tower Of Doom, Thin Ice, Hover Force, Dragonfire, Body Slam: Super Pro Wrestling, Lock 'N' Chase, Frog Bog, B-17 Bomber, Space Spartans, Stampede, Beamrider, Pinball, Triple Action (Biplanes, son!).....

My favorite 2nd generation console is the Atari 2600. My favorite 3rd generation console is the Colecovision.

The intellivision machine was more limited than the VCS in many ways, and it's library basically sucks with a few exceptions, in my opinion (maybe because I hate sports games anyway).

As already said, you're missing out if you think that's all the library has to offer. Check out something like Thin Ice.

Edited by Atariboy

Oh, to play nice with this thread. If the controller was better, my vote would go to the Intellivision. I absolutely love Inty games but I just can't get over that controller. Thank god Astroblast was ported to the 2600. I'd love to know what designers in the early 80s were thinking when they thought phone controllers would be a good idea.

• Like 1

I'm going to say ColecoVision because at the time it was the closest you could get to arcade quality in the home. I still love the VCS, though.

The controllers for the INTV are just downright brutal to work with. If it weren't for D2K Arcade, I wouldn't ever break out the INTV.

The 2600 is the only one of those that I really played at any kind of length back then, so it gets my vote simply from familiarity and a list of games that I know for a fact that I really enjoy. Not only that, but I can actually stand to play the original hardware because the joystick isn’t a torture device.

I simply can’t play the CV because of those horrendous controllers, although, I’ve recently been enjoying some of the library via emulation, which of course enables me to use controllers that are actually fit for human hands. Without the abysmal ergonomics standing in the way, the CV seems to have a pretty enjoyable library of games.

From a games perspective, I'm going to say Intellivision. People are saying Atari for the sheer number of games, but I think they're forgetting that all those games can also be run on an Intellivision through the System Changer. Intellivision library + Atari VCS library = slam dunk in my book.

I didn't forgot about the system charger. I actually have an Intellivision 2 with a system charger, and an intellivoice module. I had since the 1980's. I remembered myself wanting an intellivision II for Christmas in 1983 as a kid for reasons I don't know outside of seeing it in a Christmas Catalog matter of fact.

My problem with the intellivision 2 the controllers. Intellivision does have a good game library based on what I played.

There are a lot more than a few exceptions. ;)

Maybe you hate adventure, arcade, and strategy games, too? :P

AD&D, AD&D: Treasure of Tarmin, Thunder Castle, Burgertime, Diner, Centipede, Commando, River Raid, Astrosmash, Utopia, Shark Shark!, Dig Dug, Q*Bert, Venture, Sewer Sam, Night Stalker, Demon Attack, Pitfall!, Bump 'N' Jump, Microsurgeon, Pac-Man, The Dreadnaught Factor, Dracula, Nova Blast, Beauty and The Beast, Tower Of Doom, Thin Ice, Hover Force, Dragonfire, Body Slam: Super Pro Wrestling, Lock 'N' Chase, Frog Bog, B-17 Bomber, Space Spartans, Stampede, Beamrider, Pinball, Triple Action (Biplanes, son!).....

My favorite 2nd generation console is the Atari 2600. My favorite 3rd generation console is the Colecovision.

As already said, you're missing out if you think that's all the library has to offer. Check out something like Thin Ice.

Well, I guess I DO mostly like arcade games, and most strategy/adventure games leave me unimpressed. And there are, OK maybe SEVERAL (rather than merely a few) good games on the Intellivision, but many of those mentioned here, especially the arcade-style games, are available, and better, on other consoles. I'm not an Intellivision-hater by any means, but I really do put it in third place (of those listed), and also behind the Vectrex, Astrocade, and 5200. I think I might put it AHEAD of the Odyssey and Channel F if that were the question.