IGNORED

Your top ten arcade games of the early 80's

No particular order (and no surprises)

1) Asteroids

2) Outrun/Turbo Outrun (may not count...year)

3) Centipede

4) Galaga

5) Ms. PacMan

6) Tempest

7) Donkey Kong

8) Pole Position II

9) Missile Command (though I am abysmal at it)

10) Star Trek SOS

1980 - 1984

10. Xevious

9. Galaga

8. Donkey Kong Junior

7. GORF

6. Star Wars

5. Missile Command

4. Donkey Kong

3. Millipede

2. Ms. Pac-Man

1. Centipede

If we could have gone up to 1985 I definitely would have put Shao-lin's Road in there near the top of the list, since it's one of my all time favorite arcade games, but that seems about right for my early 80's favorites. Centipede is definitely my all time favorite for gameplay, but I don't think I'll ever get over how ridiculously awesome the cockpit cabinets for Star Wars and Missile Command are… even if I am terrible at both games. :lol:

• 4 years later...

In no particular order,   these are games that I was obsessed with for a time in the 80s.   They may not be my favorite games in retrospect, but that's a much harder list :)

Pacman

Donkey Kong

Vanguard

Mr. Do

Elevator Action

Rock N Rope

Pole Position

Defender

Gauntlet

Star Wars Arcade

Bonus: Dragon's Lair

• 2 months later...

I'm counting from the '70s up to '84 as the early 80s.

Joust - I just think it's one of the greatest of all time. This is a game you can play with style and personality. It's got a famous, fun and useful glitch. It's conceptually weird as hell and the artwork by Python Anghelo is coldblooded, to use early '80s terminology.

Gyruss - Super intense music... this is the first time I remember an arcade game having a soundtrack that just kicks ass. Good risk/reward mechanic, good patterns that you can memorize yet it throws some curveballs at you once you do memorize them.

Monaco GP - The beginning of my love for Sega racers! It gets intense and kind of hypnotic.

Turbo - Another groundbreaker. It was soon overshadowed by Pole Position the following year, but this is the more fun game and it's a lot more ambitious in its design.

Qix - This is one of those games that doesn't have music per se, but it's got a badass, menacing, pulsing thrum. Totally abstract and unique.

Juno First - I never encountered this back in the day, but it's so cool. Like Qix, its soundtrack is just futuristic menacing noise. I like how you're pretty much in control of the intensity.

Time Pilot '84 - This is another that I don't think I ever saw back in the day, but I started playing it recently and it's brilliant. Also like Juno First, you start to realize that you are in control of a lot of what the game throws at you as it responds to how you're playing. It also thanks you for playing it at the end, which is a touch of class.

Buck Rogers - Planet of Zoom / Zoom 909 - The precursor to Space Harrier. At some point it seemed like Sega started sending these games back from the future. Really nice colors and scaling.

Omega Race - Starts off slow but quickly builds into a formidable challenge. It's unique, the back story is cool, and you really have to see the actual cabinet with the mirrored screen/artwork combination that just can't be shown accurately in an emulator.

Exerion - This is another I only discovered years later via emulation. What a cool background effect. The momentum of your ship is a little over the top and you need to acclimate to it, but it's pretty cool, makes you look at Jaleco like someone you never noticed was hot before.

• Like 1

These are the games I spent most of my quarters on.

Asteroids
Battlezone
Phoenix
Galaxian
Missile Command
Lunar Lander
Galaga

Gorf
Omega Race
Ms. Pac-Man

*Space Invaders: This was everywhere and I'd play from time to time, but I sucked at it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1980 thru 1984
here are my top 10
in alphabetical order:
=============

01. Berzerk
02. Donkey Kong
03. Jungle Hunt
04. Mr. Do!
05. Ms. Pac-Man
06. Pandora's Palace
07. Phoenix 
08. Rally-X
09. Time Pilot
10. Wizard of Wor

Honorable Mentions: Amidar, Arabian, Bagman, Bank Panic, Battle Zone, Bomb Jack, Bosconian, BurgerTime, Bump'n'Jump, Carnival, Centipede, Circus Charlie, Cloak & Dagger, Congo Bongo, Crazy Climber, Crazy Kong (Part II) (Falcon), Crossbow, Crystal Castles, Dig Dug, Disc of Tron, Donkey Kong Jr., Do! Run Run, Elevator Action, Frogger, Galaga, Gorf, Gyruss, Joust, Journey, Jumping Jack, Kangaroo, Karate Champ, Kick, Kick Rider, Kung-Fu Master, Lady Bug, Major Havoc, Make Trax, Mappy, Marble Madness, Mario Bros., Moon Patrol, Monster Bash, Mr. Do's Castle, Pac-Land, Pac-Man, Paperboy, Pengo, Pooyan, Popeye, Punch-Out!!, Q*bert, Robotron: 2084, Route 16, Satan's Hollow, Sinistar, Spy Hunter, Star Wars, Super Pac-Man, Tapper, Tempest, Track & Field, Turbo, Turtles, Tutankham, Up'n Down, Zaxxon, Zoo Keeper.

Truth is, it's easier to just pick my top three: Donkey Kong, Ms. Pac-Man, Phoenix. 

The other seven could possibly be swapped out with any of the honorable mentions if I were to make a list on another day.

Off the top of my head, and in very rough order:

Ms. Pac Man

Frenzy

Millipede

Tron

Battlezone

Defender

Venture

Space Fury

Donkey Kong

Star Wars

Good call on Pulsar, I got to play that about 10 years ago when I made it to a Funspot. I never heard of it before, but it was great!  Not in my top 10 but a really good game.

11 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Pulsar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BydoEmpire said:

Off the top of my head, and in very rough order:

Ms. Pac Man

Frenzy

Millipede

Tron

Battlezone

Defender

Venture

Space Fury

Donkey Kong

Star Wars

Good call on Pulsar, I got to play that about 10 years ago when I made it to a Funspot. I never heard of it before, but it was great!  Not in my top 10 but a really good game.

Thanks!  I wanted at least something off the beaten path in there.  I remember New York, New York fondly too, but had only ever played it a couple of times a long time ago.  Pulsar was one (I guess I also only played a couple of times) at a nice, dark arcade in our K-Mart of all places.  I remember the game was fun, almost like Frenzy but you're in a vehicle...But what really sold it for me was the intense, evil sounding sound FX.

My list was hard to make because I wanted Scramble or Zaxxon in there, but ran out of room, and I thought about having Space Invaders in there (of course), but ultimately went with Astro Blaster due to the sheer variety of enemies, which blew me away the first time I saw it...