IGNORED

Indus GT upgrades

slx

I am planning to order some parts from Best and saw that they sell a ROM Upgrade for the Indus GT. Does anyone have experience with that and how does it compare/relate to the RAM upgrade? Is the RAM upgrade required to speed up the drive or is it required only when you want to run CP/M (which is an urge I seem to be immune to as I had the heart to sell a perfect working Amstrad 8256 for a sum so paltry that my aging memory refuses to recall it - and which BTW must be the climax of CP/M Disc format incompatibility with its 3" "floppies", a format that sadly failed to take the world by storm).

Thanks to all Indus users and sorry for thread drift in OP ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, with so much going for Incognito / Ultimate (& SIDE), it seems like little time is left for good, old-school drives.

With respect to these ROM/firware upgrades, it is probably better getting your own EPROM burner (make sure it can run VPP levels of 21volts), plus corresponding EPROM chip (2Kbytes) for the Indus-GT, and simply search (right here) the multiple posts (and files) regarding these firmware versions.

The last one I tried (ended up being "1.2" after binary-level comparison of all files posted here), called for a very similar "specs" and benefits as the one mentioned in Best-Electronics (almost identical, indeed)... yet, once installed in my Indus-GT, made it louder/noiser, while not being able to confirm any sensible throughput / performance improvement.

In light of those results, I opted for the firmware version just preceding "1.2", and did focus on a SRAM-based uprade of its memory, which does enable track-buffering and CP/M (a lot worthier and more valuable, overall). Seeing the drive fly on the tracks with its "BF" message on its led-display is something you should try to watch (if you have not done it, already).

Enjoy!

Thanks! Is it possible to find out the actual firmware version via software? And did you build the RAM upgrade yourself?

As far as I recall, yes you can (there is a specific Indus Test/Diagnostic disk that allows you to do it). I will have to search on my floppies-selection, but I am away from them, momentarely.

The RAM upgrade is called "RAMCharger" and I purchased it from a run manufactured (here) by Tregare:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/160131-interest-in-indus-gt-sramcharger-board/page__st__75?do=findComment&comment=2380845

Certainly recommended, but you need to inspect your IndusGT inside (opening the outer case), and make sure you have the expansion/pins present on the right-side of the drive.

As for firmware details, etc., you may want to start reading here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/115434-new-indus-gt-firmware/page__hl__%20indus%20%20rom

If you continue to search here beyond the above post, you will get a decent picture of most ROM/firwares avaiable for Indust-GT (my preferred and best overall drive ever made for the Atari-8bit series).

Enjoy!

@Faicuai: Thanks for the tips. I will follow those leads.

I only knew the Indus from magazine ads when I had my first Atari and always admired its sleek looks, display and DD ability but AFAIK they were not sold in Austria and probably would have been outside my financial reach anyway. So it took around 30 years before I got one from the US via EBay.

• Like 1

If you want to build the RAM extension yourself, see the instructions here: http://trub.atari8.i....php?ref=cpm_en

Thanks for the link. I admit I already came across your site but I'm not quite sure building that from scratch would be within my league. Would this even work when build using a wire-wrap (or soldered wire) type technique or would it require a real board (which is beyond my skills)?

I made the prototype using an universal board (see the lower picture on my site), however an add-on board isn't necessary. You can build SRAMCharger directly on the main board of the drive - some people go that way. 628128 design seems the most convenient for this.

• 6 years later...

Necro bump.

@slx, did you get your Indus GT upgraded? If so, which ROM version did you end up using? 

I now have (finally!) an Indus GT and want to upgrade it in a few weeks. I’m going to order a few things from tf_hh, including his 64KB RAM upgrade for the Indus GT.

It would probably be best for me to procure an EPROM burner, too, as there are other projects coming up this spring and summer that would benefit from buying one - to the point of breaking even pretty quickly.

Can anyone recommend an economical EPROM burner? I’ve done cursory searches, but don’t have the experience to know which is which.

1 hour ago, 777ismyname said:

Necro bump.

Can anyone recommend an economical EPROM burner? I’ve done cursory searches, but don’t have the experience to know which is which.

Several of us on here are using a TL-866 burner with good results.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2020 at 5:26 PM, 777ismyname said:

Necro bump.

@slx, did you get your Indus GT upgraded? If so, which ROM version did you end up using? 

I am afraid I didn't change it yet, so can't report. I did install the RAMcharger but still lack desk space to set it all up. I should spend more time cleaning my desk and less time hunting spare Induses on *Bay....(counting three, one disassembled as it has a broken acrylic flap).

Second the TL-866.

• Like 1

If you want to go old-school with an eprom burner that let's you use your Atari XL/XE to burn eproms, @Dropcheck at https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=ralf-davids-xlxe-eprom-burner-bundle sells a re-imaged Ralph David XL/XE eprom burner for 27xx(x) series with a 2732 adapter and updated software to use it. All 27's from 32-512 (64K), which covers pretty much all Atari drive and computer roms and most cartridge roms. That's what I use. But I also have an Atarimax programmer cart, with Maxflash Studio app and Uflash that work with SIO2PC or the programmer cart, and some, like THE!CART and APE WARP+ 32-in-1 OS have their own Atari/PC studio software to use with SIO2PC that I use for reprogramming GAL and other flash chips, so I didn't need a TL-866 for those as well. Though you do have to supply your own PIA IC's, with the R.D. XL/XE burner, but they are readily available on ebay.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

user Mr Martian created a modded ROM for the Indus GT and uploaded it onto a forum thread a while back.

a number of improved features were included - see here:

Thank you, xbrevin, that will be a valuable resource for me!

5 hours ago, slx said:

I am afraid I didn't change it yet, so can't report. I did install the RAMcharger but still lack desk space to set it all up. I should spend more time cleaning my desk and less time hunting spare Induses on *Bay....(counting three, one disassembled as it has a broken acrylic flap).

Second the TL-866.

Don't buy them all...save one for me :) I can't wait to get a proper desk setup again myself. I've got a temporary solution, err mess, that is farrrrrrrr from optimal. Soon, soon I hope to get something better. Thank you also for the recommendation on the TL-866! It appears I overpaid Uncle Sam, so I'm getting the EPROM burner, soldering station, and associated goodies pretty soon. I'm certain I will probably need to ask you guys more Indus questions. The lady of the house legit LOL because I call the Indus GT a sexy beast :)

5 hours ago, Gunstar said:

If you want to go old-school with an eprom burner that let's you use your Atari XL/XE to burn eproms, @Dropcheck at https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=ralf-davids-xlxe-eprom-burner-bundle sells a re-imaged Ralph David XL/XE eprom burner for 27xx(x) series with a 2732 adapter and updated software to use it. All 27's from 32-512 (64K), which covers pretty much all Atari drive and computer roms and most cartridge roms. That's what I use. But I also have an Atarimax programmer cart, with Maxflash Studio app and Uflash that work with SIO2PC or the programmer cart, and some, like THE!CART and APE WARP+ 32-in-1 OS have their own Atari/PC studio software to use with SIO2PC that I use for reprogramming GAL and other flash chips, so I didn't need a TL-866 for those as well. Though you do have to supply your own PIA IC's, with the R.D. XL/XE burner, but they are readily available on ebay.

More great info, Gunstar, thank you! I've looked at her EPROM burner. I dig it. I'm not sure whether to do that or not. Maybe I should get one of each :)

• Like 1

I've tried the MrMartian firmware and the B&C? modified 1.2 Indus firmware.

Both work, but I've found the Superbunny will not boot on the MrMartian firmware.... I haven't tested my whole library, so I don't know if that might be the 1 game that won't boot, or if more may not.

The MrMartian firmware will make it like a 1050 with USD.  So, you'll get double density with a more widely supported configuration. 

The B&C? 1.2 tweaked firmware is Indus firmware with some annoyances adjusted.

It should also be possible to double up and use a switch to select the firmware (at power on time of course).

• Like 1

+1 for thr tl866. Ive probably programmed 100 chips with mine so far. And it has other wonders like logic chip ID, ability to program GAL's, and can program 2532's and chips larger than it officially supports (512KB) by way of 3rd party/hobbyist made adapters. (Ie im currently working on making a 4-in-1 amiga 500 ROM for a friend with a 27c160) And lots of OEM adapters to program non-DIP type chips.

I have a dropcheck/ralf-david eprom burner thats been gathering dust since I got the tl-866... It was challenging & interesting to learn for a little while but honestly the speed/compatibility/reliability of the tl866 got the best of me for daily use. If anyones interested in it pm me i'll make you a deal.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 777ismyname said:

Don't buy them all...save one for me :) I can't wait to get a proper desk setup again myself.

The lady of the house legit LOL because I call the Indus GT a sexy beast :)

The ladies of the houses should be glad we only go after Induses and not Ferraris, given the similarity proclaimed in period ads ;)

I think @tf_hh has an (almost) never-ending supply of SRAMChargers (and a lot of other goodies which you could buy for the packaging alone - I've never seen anti-static zip-loc bags before....).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nezgar said:

+1 for thr tl866. Ive probably programmed 100 chips with mine so far. And it has other wonders like logic chip ID, ability to program GAL's, and can program 2532's and chips larger than it officially supports (512KB) by way of 3rd party/hobbyist made adapters. (Ie im currently working on making a 4-in-1 amiga 500 ROM for a friend with a 27c160) And lots of OEM adapters to program non-DIP type chips.

I have a dropcheck/ralf-david eprom burner thats been gathering dust since I got the tl-866... It was challenging & interesting to learn for a little while but honestly the speed/compatibility/reliability of the tl866 got the best of me for daily use. If anyones interested in it pm me i'll make you a deal.

...including an EPROM that you made for me :) That project 600XL is next to the desk now, waiting on me to get a soldering station to remove chips from an XE and XEGM. I hope the cartridge arrived !

If you have had challenges with her Atari based unit a neophyte like me would probably pull out what is left of his hair learning it and I can’t afford that ? 

On 1/30/2020 at 6:20 PM, cwilbar said:

I've tried the MrMartian firmware and the B&C? modified 1.2 Indus firmware.

Both work, but I've found the Superbunny will not boot on the MrMartian firmware.... I haven't tested my whole library, so I don't know if that might be the 1 game that won't boot, or if more may not.

The MrMartian firmware will make it like a 1050 with USD.  So, you'll get double density with a more widely supported configuration. 

The B&C? 1.2 tweaked firmware is Indus firmware with some annoyances adjusted.

It should also be possible to double up and use a switch to select the firmware (at power on time of course).

This is very good information. Thank you! It would be great to have the ability to easily switch firmware with the flip of a switch. I have little in the way of original software on floppy that may be copy protected or the like, but it would be nice to have so that I could help dump some disks if the need arises. I’m medically retired and have the time to put towards doing something like that that many people do not have. 

Thus far the Indus has only been used for making Fast Basic, Advan BASIC, QUICK, and storage floppies for them and Actiion!.  After being spoiled with the 125kb speeds via RespeQT/AspeQT, an SIO2PCUSB, and the SysCheck 2.2 from Nezgar, I’m more than ready to kick the Indus GT into high gear. If only my wallet agreed :)

16 hours ago, slx said:

The ladies of the houses should be glad we only go after Induses and not Ferraris, given the similarity proclaimed in period ads ;)

I think @tf_hh has an (almost) never-ending supply of SRAMChargers (and a lot of other goodies which you could buy for the packaging alone - I've never seen anti-static zip-loc bags before....).

? I’d be more happy getting some Atari stuff refurbished and the VW New Beetle back on the road. I’ve talked to tf_hh via email and he was EXTREMELY nice and helpful. Guys like him help with hobbies more than they can realize. I do hope to use a postal method of something other than Deutsche Post/USPS, however, after ordering a couple of C64 things from a seller in Germany. The D.P. got it to the handoff point in two or three days ordered on December 27th or 28th). The USPS stuck it in a container on January 1st. Yesterday the USPS postman marked it that there was no recipient available on his electronic gizmo, even though there were three of us at home between the two houses at my address. There wasn’t even an address for me for the first 20 years I was at this location and I never missed a single piece of mail...but I knew the postman very well. 

Now if my number gets drawn in the Mega Millions or Power Ball (I only play with change, do not very often) I will have a collection for the ages by summer :) Maybe a Ferrari, too :)