IGNORED

Damn I wish I was allowed to work on this...

PacManPlus

They couldn't give Bob permission because they didn't own the rights to it because of the law suit. They just didn't tell Bob that fact.

Allan

this.

They are under no obligation to be helpful. This IS the legal department after all. It'd be a damn shame if he took an impersonal lawyer letter personally by not following his dream. Who does it punish by giving up? Who wins then?

Thanks, guys :)

I believe they were referring to my use of their 'artwork', name, and/or slides from the tower with that letter, moreso than the game play itself. All of which I wanted to use as I wanted this to represent the 'Atari' version of their board game. :( I personally don't see the point in doing this if I can't reference the board game directly (just my opinion, but to me it takes away the whole point in 'porting' this game).

I have to say, at least they answered me... That's more than Namco did when I asked them (via website forum, multiple e-mails to different people, and even a PM to a user here who worked for them at the time) about permission to do Pac-Man Collection. I got completely ignored (which I guess is better than a 'no' answer) ;) I do try to do things the 'correct' way :)

I wonder if I've been 'left alone' by the companies that I did ports of partly because of the system I'm doing them on (I don't think they care much about a 30 year old antiquated system), but also because I always put their copyright in the game and on the label? (Just a guess)

Bob

I wonder if I've been 'left alone' by the companies that I did ports of partly because of the system I'm doing them on (I don't think they care much about a 30 year old antiquated system), but also because I always put their copyright in the game and on the label? (Just a guess)

Bob

I think it may be a combination of both - but more the former than the latter. Honestly, for the most part this (7800 games), flies under the radar for most. We care because of our love and passion for the system, but the majority if associating any sort of recent/new release for an Atari system are thinking 2600 anyhow, and even then out of the vast majority of homebrews/hacks unless it is a known property that has always defended its IP regardless of circumstance (I.E. First Star/Boulder Dash), it's of no consequence or care to them.

My perspective would be to let sleeping dogs lie. Honestly, I think they're more than happy to do so when it comes to the 7800 (Or Vectrex, or any other 20+ year old system). Heck, even repros, hacks, homebrews for the NES (Donkey Kong "Original Edition"), and Genesis/SNES (There's a thread in the marketplace selling such games now) for properties with a relatively strong following today are still sold without issue/interference from their respective property owner/publishers.

In this case again, from the evidence, the people/company (Hasbro/Milton Bradley) you approached don't even seem to have the rights to grant permission; as Allan succinctly put it: "They couldn't give (you) permission because they didn't own the rights to it because of the law suit. They just didn't tell (you) that fact."

• Like 1

(I.E. First Star/Boulder Dash)

And I love how they both defend the property AND respond to requests to licence it even on old systems. If a company has a cherished IP and wants to respond to people asking to make a few hundred copies by saying "sure, here's the deal we'll make for that" I say great stuff; fill your boots.

I wish every large company with old IPs and a lot of money (like Activision for example) would put one guy on this a day or two a week. It's not that hard for them to have a go to person for these fan projects, and it's not hard to have a form agreement ready for licencing to small, dead platforms. They could almost certainly manage it, and imagine the free press/ social media they could generate with all these weird stories of Pitfall coming to the Vectrex, Megamania getting an Master System remake, or Kaboom getting a Virtual Boy 3D version.

• Like 1

And I love how they both defend the property AND respond to requests to licence it even on old systems. If a company has a cherished IP and wants to respond to people asking to make a few hundred copies by saying "sure, here's the deal we'll make for that" I say great stuff; fill your boots.

I wish every large company with old IPs and a lot of money (like Activision for example) would put one guy on this a day or two a week. It's not that hard for them to have a go to person for these fan projects, and it's not hard to have a form agreement ready for licencing to small, dead platforms. They could almost certainly manage it, and imagine the free press/ social media they could generate with all these weird stories of Pitfall coming to the Vectrex, Megamania getting an Master System remake, or Kaboom getting a Virtual Boy 3D version.

Exactly. I see it as it earning good will and encourages consumers like myself who own and play Atari 2600/7800 games while also enjoying a 360/PS3 to invest and try their new(er) stuff because of the positive experience and impact they had on the (classic) gaming community. It also places the company name and brand out there in a positive (And possibly viral) way. It really is a win-win situation for all involved.

If/When a company (IP holder) defends and protects their rights, to go about it the way First Star did with Boulder Dash is really ideal. And I am all for paying more for the product if and when it is needed (My boxed copy of Boulder Dash for the 2600 attest to that). :-D

Crap like what Hasbro did and not even explaning fully (Which I do not expect and undertsand their reasons) just puts a sour taste in my mouth and negative thoughts towards the company. Then again in this case it may just be a moot point as evidently they do not own the rights.

You know, after reading all of this, I re-read the letter they sent to me. I'm now wondering if they worded it a specific way and I didn't catch it.

...Hasbro cannot grant you permission...

It's almost like they were telling me that they are not the ones that can give me permission to do this. Or then again maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have blank keypad overlay templates for any the 2600 keypads? I want to see something...

• Like 2

You know, after reading all of this, I re-read the letter they sent to me. I'm now wondering if they worded it a specific way and I didn't catch it.

It's almost like they were telling me that they are not the ones that can give me permission to do this. Or then again maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have blank keypad overlay templates for any the 2600 keypads? I want to see something...

I don't think you are reading into it too much at all. They didn't state, "We have decided to not grant you permission", or "Permission denied". They "cannot grant you permission" because they don't have the authority or rights for the requested permission.

If needed, I could probably definitely make you one at my place of work. I can also produce them with print if need be. I am not sure on the final cost per unit, but I would be willing to invest my own money (in the CAD template for our cutter) if it helps this project move even 1 inch forward!!!! Please let me know!!!

• Like 3

If needed, I could probably make you one at my place of work. I can also produce them with print if need be. I am not sure on the final cost per unit, but I would be willing to invest my own money (in the CAD template for our cutter) if it helps this project move even 1 inch forward!!!! Please let me know!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Moments like the above are part of what makes this community so awesome and amazing. :)

• Like 3

What the heck are you doing? You're busy on a Crystal Quest! :-D

Ohhh right, right... :grin: Sorry, I must have gotten lost between levels and wandered in here... :P

Anyone know a shortcut to Berthilda's castle by chance? ;) :D :D :D

• Like 1

You know, after reading all of this, I re-read the letter they sent to me. I'm now wondering if they worded it a specific way and I didn't catch it.It's almost like they were telling me that they are not the ones that can give me permission to do this. Or then again maybe I'm reading too much into it.Just out of curiosity, does anyone have blank keypad overlay templates for any the 2600 keypads? I want to see something...

Actually, their response is pretty generous compared to what I've gotten. I've been trying to secure the rights to use the Aquarius glyphs/font for quite some time and Intellivision Productions, Inc. has always ignored my e-mails. Basically, they were saying the same thing as Hasbro did for you (except less nice)

Actually, their response is pretty generous compared to what I've gotten. I've been trying to secure the rights to use the Aquarius glyphs/font for quite some time and Intellivision Productions, Inc. has always ignored my e-mails. Basically, they were saying the same thing as Hasbro did for you (except less nice)

Intellivision Productions, Inc. aka "Blue Sky Rangers" left a bad taste in my mouth with their poor handling of the 'Masters of the Universe - Power of He-Man' port for the ColecoVision in recent years.

It echos the same attitude as that dude with Marble Madness II Arcade game.

Anyhow, back to the topic hoping this will be a WIP soon :ponder:

• Like 1