IGNORED

Atari 7800 arcade-style joysticks

bikeguychicago

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my modded Raidca stick back from GoldenAxe/WolfPackMommy's this morning an gave it quick trial while at lunch. I found the stick to be an excellent replacement for the standard Pro Line sticks with greatly improved response. In addition, it's nice having separate A/B buttons for games like Xevious and the option to play left or right-handed. I highly recommend it.

Edited by bikeguychicago

• 6 months later...

After getting Jr. Pac-Man from PacManPlus, I'm now finding the Radica not responsive enough at higher levels (especially in fast mode). So I may be looking for something like Sector7e is designing after all (unless the Radica itself can be hacked with a Happ or similar controller).

I'm not sure about whether this would be true 7800, but I've yet to find anything better for maze games on the 2600 than a CX-40 plus a Stick Stand. Higher-end controllers seem too sensitive to me.

After getting Jr. Pac-Man from PacManPlus, I'm now finding the Radica not responsive enough at higher levels (especially in fast mode). So I may be looking for something like Sector7e is designing after all (unless the Radica itself can be hacked with a Happ or similar controller).

I recently built my own sticks primarily for Jr. Pac-Man and can wholeheartedly recommend the IL Competition ("Eurostick"). I started with a Happ and an IL. The IL was so much more responsive that I ordered a second one and swapped out the Happ stick. Jr. Pac-man has never been so much fun!

I recently built my own sticks primarily for Jr. Pac-Man and can wholeheartedly recommend the IL Competition ("Eurostick"). I started with a Happ and an IL. The IL was so much more responsive that I ordered a second one and swapped out the Happ stick. Jr. Pac-man has never been so much fun!

Are there certain buttons you would recommend too? I'm looking for something like what would've been on a Donkey Kong or Centipede cabinet without the annoying clicking that the Radica and iCade buttons have.

Also, do you have a guide or something that you can direct me to for making my controller? This is the first such thing I will be attempting to build and I have little electronics experience.

I used standard Happ concave buttons because they have a real old school feel. They are "clicky" but not as bad as my iCade. For a quieter button you could try the Sanwa OBSFS. Any buttons or joysticks using microswitches will make noise.

As for resources, I got the pinout for the 7800 controller here at AA. I also searched the forum for tips and advice. Additionally, Slagcoin.com is a great general reference on joysticks. There were also a few Instructables on DIY Atari 2600 joysticks that were helpful. Ive linked the instructables and my AA thread below if it's any help.

I'm a total novice at this type of thing too. If I could do it, your odds are pretty good. ;) Good luck on your project and have fun!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Atari-Combo-Controller/?ALLSTEPS

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Your-Own-Atari-Joystick/?ALLSTEPS

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/219466-diy-7800-arcade-stick-help/?do=findComment&comment=2897021

• Like 1

I know this is random and out of nowhere but, I was just thinking that a Proline style joystick with micro switches would probably work pretty good and be comfortable to use because with micro switches, you don't have to apply too much torque to the stick. It pretty much moves up, down, left, right with ease, even with one finger. Same with the buttons. just give it a slight push with the thumb and there you go. The question is, Are there switches small enough to be retrofitted into the Proline? Why do I get the feeling this has already been done before anyway? LOL!

• 2 years later...

I just made my own by hacking into a proline. Just buy an arcade joystick and 2 cherry buttons, make or buy a base for them and your ready to rock. You don't even have to dismantle the proline guts, just solder or use inline crimp sleeves onto the existing leads, this way you don't have to fuss with resisters and diodes.

IMG_2321_zps2937bd0b.jpg

Can you explain in more detail how you did this?

Edited by arcade124

I know this is random and out of nowhere but, I was just thinking that a Proline style joystick with micro switches would probably work pretty good and be comfortable to use because with micro switches, you don't have to apply too much torque to the stick. It pretty much moves up, down, left, right with ease, even with one finger. Same with the buttons. just give it a slight push with the thumb and there you go. The question is, Are there switches small enough to be retrofitted into the Proline? Why do I get the feeling this has already been done before anyway? LOL!

It has been done. it works pretty well. I bought one modded already for like 25$. It's exactly like you say.....you need almost no torque to activate the switches, making it much more usable (though I'd still rather use a turbo Genesis controller through a converter).

Can you explain in more detail how you did this?

Not really. I mean... not sure how much more in-depth I could go regarding a Proline controller hack. I did mine the half-assed way. Take apart a Proline, stuff the guts into another encasement, splice into the wires with arcade components, etc.

It has been done. it works pretty well. I bought one modded already for like 25$. It's exactly like you say.....you need almost no torque to activate the switches, making it much more usable (though I'd still rather use a turbo Genesis controller through a converter).

Excellent!

I may be willing to make custom arcade style controllers for the 7800 and other systems if there is enough interest. I will use real arcade joysticks and buttons with a layout similar to my WIP Atari 7800 Arcade cabinet. What do you think?

attachicon.gif7800arcadecontrol.jpg

I'm building something like this for the Colecovision. Could you explain how it was designed?

Not really. I mean... not sure how much more in-depth I could go regarding a Proline controller hack. I did mine the half-assed way. Take apart a Proline, stuff the guts into another encasement, splice into the wires with arcade components, etc.

Could you explain where you got your parts and which ones they were? The ones I keep seeing for sale look like they don't have any wires or anything with them, and there's also a few different kinds, so I don't know what to get.

Oh boy, It's been a while since I built that. I belive I bought a joystick like this one, but there are so many to choose from. Just make sure it comes with a wire harness. It is best to solder them right to the board, but I suppose you could always strip some of the insulation off of the Proline wiring and twist the new joystick wires to the correct corresponding wires, then tape them up.

https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-jlf-tp-8yt-joystick/

Then you have to pick out a joystick ball top.

https://www.focusattack.com/controls/joysticks/joystick-accessories/balltop-handles/

Then you will need some push buttons. Again, there are so many to choose from... Also, you will need to wire these up yourself. I used network cable pieces and soldered them to the Proline board where the button contacts are.

https://www.focusattack.com/controls/pushbutton/by-hole-diameter/28-575mm-1-1-8/happ-competition/

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by 7800

• 2 weeks later...

something funny?

my wife can.

you can write

wolfpackmommy

Thought you were off the scene for years as people have been asking about you for years. I guess it was not THAT funny.

That is great your wife does conversions.

The controller market today is flooded with guys like edladdin etc. But the nes to 7800 conversion which you used to do I think still has a market for.

• Like 1