10 CALL CLEAR

100 OPEN #1:"CS1"

110 OPEN #2:"DSK1.PAD"

120 INPUT #1:X$

130 PRINT #2:X$

140 GOTO 120

but every time I run it, I get

I/O ERROR 03 IN 100

If I understand the codes correctly, this means that somehow "CS1" isn't a valid device name, but yet the syntax, the spelling and the case are all correct. What am I doing wrong? Please help!

Thanks for reading! :)

Edited by RobertLM78

My apologies: It would have helped if I had reviewed the requirements for file operations with the cassette deck :roll: . I got the program working, but it has lead me to another issue... but before I go starting a new thread about that I'll be sure to do all the necessary reviewing - and investigating - this time (it's been a long time - probably 9 years - since I've done much with the ol' girl other than faffing about with it a few times last year when it was set up for a month or two :grin: ). Thanks for reading - it's good to be in retro community that hasn't forgotten my our beloved beast :).

Edit: by the way - the crux of the problem, for future readers that may need help, is that CS1 requires FIXED format. Since I left out all the parameters in the original program, it defaulted to VARIABLE and caused the error ;-).

Edited by RobertLM78
  • Like 1