IGNORED

Neverwinter, WHO'S IN?

Stan

Just curious if anyone has tried this game around these parts. I have never, ever been a man of MMORPGs, like EVER. The culture surrounding them, the stale plotlines, the thin gameplay, all of it basically. For example, I tried the recent release of The Aurora World just to check another one out, and as I expected, horrible, one of the worst games I've ever played, so dated in so many areas. Now, I've been a fan of AD&D for years now, played it since I was around 11 years old, back right before 2nd edition was set to launch. Still play classic 2nd Ed Ravenloft with friends to this day. In terms of PC, I've played D & D games since the Pool of Radiance day, suffice to say I'm very familiar with Baldur's Gate and its impact, Neverwinter Nights, all of it. When I first heard about Neverwinter I was skeptical that D & D culled be pulled off properly in a MMORPG setting, but I figured why not give it a try because of the previous games? I have to saw, WOW, this is one of the most impressive games I've played in a long time. Granted, there are some things they still need to fix in it (adding a ranger-type class, fixing some balance in PvP), but the overall presentation and activity in this is so dense I couldn't believe it. Top notch. If any of you are fans of D & D and maybe not this type of game or have played such types before, TRY THIS. Incredible. For something still only in open beta it's highly impressive, easily the best MMORPG I've ever played, and that's saying a lot because I normally can't play them for very long because of how stale it gets to me. They created an ingenious system here in many regards. Anyone else tried this yet?

Star Trek Online and Champions kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. Champions was ok but STO was a mess of empty promises and repetitive gameplay. I'd really like Neverwinter to be good but I'm not going anywhere near it until it has been out for awhile and I've seen what it has done.

On a side note, Bioware's rendition of Neveewinter Nights remains one of my favorite PC games of all time.

One of my close friends still prefers 2nd Edition Ravenloft. I like DMing 2nd Edition Dragonlance and Classic D&D in Mystara/Known World myself.

• Like 1

Awesome man. Seriously, though, this is coming from a guy who's VERY critical of all things I do for fun, movies, music, whatever, but especially games. I'm not kidding around about this one, and it's not a fanboy attitude either, I've played plenty of these. Stellar. Absolutely stellar, and hey, it's free, so if you don't like it, no harm done.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to get into the beta but haven't heard anything am trying again. The neverwinter games are some of my all time fave pc games (or games period) ever. And while not normally a big fan of MMOs I had fun playing D&D online for like 6 months straight and also played a few months of warhammer. I can see getting into this

looks like I get to download and play this time :)

Edited by otaku

• 3 years later...

Anyone playing this on the XBone? Just downloaded it a couple weeks ago and I am having a ball! I've never played one of these games before so I have nothing to compare it to, but it reminds me of Fable on steroids without the romances, haha!

I created a character and played for a few hours on PS4 and I also have it on XB1 but I haven't created a character on there yet. Elder Scrolls Online is pretty good too, played that for a good amount of time. They both are easy to get into.

Funny I was just thinking about jumping back in to play but I'm currently invested in Witcher 3.

My problem is I'm too hesitant to invest my time in an MMO or be able to meet regularly on certain days to play with people (It was really tough for me doing that in World of Warcraft). World of Warcraft is still a really good game, wish I could commit.

I enjoyed Neverwinter quite a bit but ended up clearing it out to make room for other things. I thought it was quite a lot of fun for the F2P model. I never got all that far into it or very serious so I'm not sure what upper end limits there are if you don't buy whatever it is they try to sell you. I forget what it is now but I recall chests or something.

Edited by omegadot

I created a character and played for a few hours on PS4 and I also have it on XB1 but I haven't created a character on there yet. Elder Scrolls Online is pretty good too, played that for a good amount of time. They both are easy to get into.

Funny I was just thinking about jumping back in to play but I'm currently invested in Witcher 3.

My problem is I'm too hesitant to invest my time in an MMO or be able to meet regularly on certain days to play with people (It was really tough for me doing that in World of Warcraft). World of Warcraft is still a really good game, wish I could commit.

We played Elder Scrolls last summer. It was enjoyable, but seemed to get repetitive. Not sure if Neverwinter will end up the same, but I still have a lot of content to play.