IGNORED

Air Buster Problems

Gabriel

I'm having a problem with Air Buster (Aero Fighters) and wanted to see if anyone else knows anything about the issue.

The game always freezes at a random point in Stage 4. I have tried the game (both real cartridge and flashcart image) on a real model 1 and a real model 2. The model 1 has always been hooked to a SegaCD, but I have tried the game on the model 1 both with and without a 32X attached. The behaviour is always the same. At some point in stage 4 the game simply locks up. The music continues to play but everything else freezes and the game becomes completely unresponsive.

I guess everyone is just as in the dark as I am on this problem. My research turned up nothing. I tried the real cart on every system I owned: Model 1, Model 2, Model 3, and a clone. Every one froze up on level 4. In addition, those systems I could get the a flash cart to work with did the exact same thing and froze on level 4 when playing Air Busters, but had no problems with other games.

I was able to make one final check. I had ordered a spare Model 1 with the intent of hooking it up parallel to my fully loaded 32x/SegaCD system for those instances like SMS games where I couldn't use the 32X pass through. When I tried Air Busters with this system, I was suddenly able to get past the level 4 issue and see level 5 and 6. But I still have no idea why the game works with this newly acquired Model 1 and doesn't work with anything else.

I can see the real cart failing because of being dirty, but I can't account for why the flashcart does the same thing. I can see the game failing on one system, but not four. It's very strange.

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old post but I bought this game as a child back in the 90's and had the same problem.  We exchanged it once or twice and eventually had to return it.  Although the cartridge game always froze on my real hardware, the rom seems to run fine in the emulators.  Someone somewhere must know what the issue was with the consoles.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...