IGNORED

The Basic Cartridge

jacobus

Why is this cartridge so common?

It was only needed for the 400/800 and 1200. Other than the "Basic Computer" 400 version, I don't think it was bundled with anything. It seems like every 400/800 or collection of cartridges on eBay feature multiples of it. Any yet I have (as of last count) 25 of the darn things in my collection. And I know I'm not alone.

What gives?

Before the XL series turned up with this built in, the atari computer was like the space race. basically very few would want to miss out on programming their computer (even if they gave up after 5 minutes and stuck star raiders back on),

computers were being touted up for being powerful machines at your control and where consoles were starting to be yesterdays sensation, you could do anything with a powerful language programming interface called BASIC,

spelling your name on notepad had its limitations..... :-o

Why is this cartridge so common? ... Other than the "Basic Computer" 400 version, I don't think it was bundled with anything. . . .

BASIC (and books) were bundled with my first Atari 800.

BASIC was the scripting language of the day (1970s through early 80s). For many computers running BASIC was the primary purpose of the computer, and it was the only user interface for interacting with the computer. For many users BASIC was the operating system.