IGNORED

ABBUC Software-Contest 2013 - Entries

skr

Hi everybody,

the first submission for this years contest just arrived. UK strikes first this year. Please find information about SWC 2013 and most current list of entries there:

http://www.abbuc.de/...ort/78-software

I try to keep it updadet here too, of course:

Entries so far:

Title - Genre - Author

Dev Wars - Game - Cliff Hatch

Keep on (or even start) coding, plenty of time until we each the deadline. :)

Edited by skr
  • Like 1

Yes, but nontheless I want the programs to be available from the ABBUC website, I am just redoing the pages and it will take some time, but when I've finished, they should be available from there.

@pixelmischief: There shouldn't be a need to register. Some Downloads are public, some are for ABBUC members (which does NOT mean registered at the website!) only. I will check that for you. But at least as a registered user you can also use the ABBUC forums, so you could do me a favor and write your request there again (no problem if you do it in english), so that the site admins become aware of it too. I am quite busy right now and so things might take a while...

Edited by skr

Are the ABBUC software competition entries for past years available for download? I went to the site and registered, but only the magazine is available and the red "Download" button doesn't work.

Two (updated) SWC release can be found in my signiture :)

@SWC2013:

H.A.R. is preparing something as well!

Although, ATM it's just a 80%-ready engine, a 70%-ready idea and no gfx nor sound.

So no promisses at this point in time. However, I am trying to develop incremental.

What this means is, e.g. bosses willl be only included if there is enough time :)

@therealbountybob:

I was thinking to include you a lot earlier in the testing process, so ther eis enough time to care about your valueable input.

That is, when oyu want to. But I aguess you do want. Am I right?

@therealbountybob:

I was thinking to include you a lot earlier in the testing process, so ther eis enough time to care about your valueable input.

thanks CRT would be honoured (same for any other people looking for testing/feedback) and of course I will be objective (even though I'm writing my first assember game and plan to win :grin: ) don't worry about me stealing your code I have enough to figure out as it is :-o :-o

hey abbuc guys - how many more subscriptions would it take to have additional prize money/places? perhaps more atarians would consider subscribing if they thought it would lead to even more games being produced and more programmers would enter ;-)

you could set a quality standard (where entries get rated out of 10) and those making 7+/10 qualified for some (additional) prize money to encourage better developments :ponder: Even for improved versions that didn't get 7+/10 initially. Just a few ideas :)

• 1 month later...

Will there be a JHV 2013 ? When and where ?

Of course, as every year since 1986. :)

The date seems not to be announced, but I guess it is again at the end of October, could be Oct 26th this year, but I will check.

Two (updated) SWC release can be found in my signiture :)

@SWC2013:

H.A.R. is preparing something as well!

Although, ATM it's just a 80%-ready engine, a 70%-ready idea and no gfx nor sound.

So no promisses at this point in time. However, I am trying to develop incremental.

What this means is, e.g. bosses willl be only included if there is enough time :)

@therealbountybob:

In Somalia, the word "har" refers to fecies.. Its like the english slang "shit"..

In Somalia, the word "har" refers to fecies.. Its like the english slang "shit"..

har har har (<--- laughing dirty)

The dots are important, it´s not a word, it´s an abbreviation. I always refer to it as "Hilflose Atari Rentner" (Helpless Atari Retirees). But BigBen and HardwareDoc didn´t like it. So I proposed Hairless Atari Retirees, but they don´t like that one too. Hard to satisfy, those guys from Hanover... ;)

• Like 1

I think, there are so many different languages in the world, that a word does mean something completely different in any other language. But who knows all the words in all the languages.

I have a friend here in Germany whose it was to find out such cultural specialities, but that was only for a particular target market, he never could check all cultures in the world.

The Ford Company did a nice job with the Ford Cougar. In Germany, normally nobody knows the American meaning of "cougar", but I still have to smile when I see a older woman in a car called "cougar"...

DJ Bobo from Switzerland was blamed not to sell much music in Spain, as "Bobo" in Spain means something like "idiot". And not to forget the "Pajero"... and and and :)

I always thought it was odd they changed the Vauxhall/Opel Nova (no va - it doesn't work/run) to Corsa, let someone else let Pajero stand...

A name that questions the build quality of the car is wrong, yet one that suggests the driver may be sexually self-sufficient is okay?

I always thought it was odd they changed the Vauxhall/Opel Nova (no va - it doesn't work/run) to Corsa, let someone else let Pajero stand...

A name that questions the build quality of the car is wrong, yet one that suggests the driver may be sexually self-sufficient is okay?

As far as I know they renamed the Pajero to "Shogun" in the UK, but of course that doesn´t affect the cars which already have been sold. Luckily, most people don´t realize.

So, be careful with the names of your entries for the Software-Contest. ;)

har har har (<--- laughing dirty)

The dots are important, it´s not a word, it´s an abbreviation. I always refer to it as "Hilflose Atari Rentner" (Helpless Atari Retirees). But BigBen and HardwareDoc didn´t like it. So I proposed Hairless Atari Retirees, but they don´t like that one too. Hard to satisfy, those guys from Hanover... ;)

I want to point out that OSon, me and HardwareDoc "founded" the original H.A.R. Must be around 1993/94 dunno.

That's even more interesting as OSon as I are only mentioned as "guests" on the WebSite :)

The only date of interest concerning the JHV 2013, is the 31.August 2013 ;)

Gwobby 2?

Gwobby Unleashed?

Gwobby Warfare.

:D We already have three Gwobby games :-o Still tempted with McL's suggestion of "Gwobby's Bloody Revenge" but this is (so far) a non Gwobby Universe game - will have a meeting on Sunday with the Gwobby team to discuss the franchise :D I've not had a lot of time recently but have started coding again last week... still lots of lock-ups bugs and problems to fix will be asking for help before too long...

SKR - what about some comments on my earlier post. This would also be a very good time for you abbuc guys to tell people here how to subscribe and tell them they will get the new games to try a month before they are released ;)

Wonder what Gwobby means in other languages - think it's universal for "Tough Guy Hero" ;)

p.s. Well done Grevle getting your entry in so soon :thumbsup: did you get anyone to help you with the music?

I would be open to assistance from anyone with any of the following: (though I am limited with what I can do!)

sound effects (general loop based ones and little 'ditties' for when things are collected etc)

simple PMG graphics/animations

playfield maps

character set animations/graphics

simple title screen / logo / picture...

dli playfield effects

(I'm currently using Envision and Genesis) send me a message if you want to help out with anything (even the odd sound effect or single PMG animation would be helpful); it doesn't have to be too professional as this is my 1st assembler game, let me know. It might be fun ;)

Edited by therealbountybob

SKR - what about some comments on my earlier post. This would also be a very good time for you abbuc guys to tell people here how to subscribe and tell them they will get the new games to try a month before they are released ;)

Let me pass my final colloquium first and then get drunk for a week or so.

But in short I can say: I keep all suggestions, but can´t give you direct answers here, as those things have to be internally. As we are talking about the members money, they have to be asked too, this normally happens at the JHV and via the ABBUC magazine. This is fair to the members, but of course not the fastest way.

Please keep pros and cons coming, but don´t be disappointed as you don´t get a fast response.

• 2 weeks later...