IGNORED

ABBUC Software-Contest 2013 - Entries

skr

Further, charlie chaplin, why are you so impatient? Aren't you the one, besides skriegel, who sees the entries in 4 days? ;)

PS:

The bit of my desktop background is there on purpose. Maybe the one or the other can guess what that shows ;)

Well, to get more equality or equal chances for everyone, I want all participants to show videos or at least screenshots of their contest programs.

Your desktop background shows an A8 picture I guess, the colours remind me of a pic I have in my collection (but I do not remember its name). But I would not be surprised if its a new and as of yet unpresented / unpublished picture from the Morons and/or Exin...

---------------

Regarding "The Hunt": Its a hunter / hunting game... ;-) Nice tip ;-) ;-) ;-)

Okay, you have seen the title, thus you can guess that the game has something to do with a Predator.

Its up to the author to reveal more information and/or to show more pics or videos of the gameplay.

-Andreas Koch.

Please check the lists on the ABBUC-page. It´s still under construction and the total overview with links to the games is missing, but it will answer your question quick already:

http://www.abbuc.de/atari/software-ressort/81-software/softwarewettbewerbe/1668-uebersicht-wettbewerbe

Same procedure as every year. ;) So it´s safe to put Assembloids XE to the list?

To all competitors: Please check the name I write as author! If you want more or other names there, please tell me!

Update :

Entries so far:

Title - Genre - Author

Dev Wars - Game - Cliff Hatch

Speedway One - Game - Jan Johnsen

Fujitime - Tool - 8bitjunkie

X-8 - Game - Xuel

Slovenian Quiz - Quiz - Bostjan Gorisek

ATL+ATL Viewer - Tool - Holger Bommer

The Hunt - Game - Ilmenit

Ten-liners - Collection - The NOMAMs

Please find information about SWC 2013 and most current list of entries there:

http://www.abbuc.de/...ort/78-software

Edited by skr

Simpler question: What is the idea of the game?

What kind of game is this?

Dear snicklin, it's written in the description of the video:

"The Hunt" is a turn based combat puzzle game for 8bit Atari computers.
You control a young Predator on his first Hunt on the planet Earth.
  • Like 1

Please check the lists on the ABBUC-page. It´s still under construction and the total overview with links to the games is missing, but it will answer your question quick already:

http://www.abbuc.de/atari/software-ressort/81-software/softwarewettbewerbe/1668-uebersicht-wettbewerbe

Same procedure as every year. ;) So it´s safe to put Assembloids XE to the list?

To all competitors: Please check the name I write as author! If you want more or other names there, please tell me!

Update :

Entries so far:

Title - Genre - Author

X-8 - Game - Xuel

Ten-liners - Collection - The NOMAMs

Assembloids XE - Game - xeen, Adam, stRing

Some words about Ten-Liners.

Ten-Liners is a collection of 6 games programmed in ATARI BASIC in only 10 lines of code. The games were coded at NOMAM 13 in Realtime.

The collection contains a boxing game, a racing game, a lunar lander game, a hotline game, a catch-an-x-game and a guess-a-tone-game - all with max. 10 lines of basic code.

In the video you can see the beta testing of the guess-a-tone-game written by me.

http://youtu.be/n0euNEnFwmg

• Like 1

Regarding to the video it is playable only by old man who have less hair and are wearing glasses? :grin:

That’s strange, it seems to play OK for me even when I take my glasses off – but I can’t see the screen clearly, so I’m not sure…

Anyway, it’s time I said a few words about Dev War:

Dev War

I just sent in the final version, and this is a big day for me because it closes a software project that has spanned more than 30 years - although I admit there was a spell around 1985 to 2013 when it didn’t progress very much. ;)

I bought an Atari 800 as soon as they became available in the UK, and tried my hand at writing games along with countless thousands of other enthusiasts. A very common strategy in those early days was to use Atari Basic as far as possible, and resort to assembly code for the time critical bits like moving PM’s around the screen. This is the approach I used in Dev War.

The objective of the game is to destroy the robotic pirates which are threatening the mining community on Palladium 5.

I have fond memories of writing Dev War in the early 1980’s and exchanging ideas with friends at my local computer clubs in Kingston and Slough. I found building the VBI routine that maintains the smooth motion of the PM’s particularly interesting. I've also enjoyed extending it over recent months.

I won’t make any claims about the gameplay, except to say that there is a definite technique to it, and once this is mastered it is not too difficult to win. I hope that everyone will find something to enjoy in this simple retro game, and that it contributes to the fun of this year’s ABBUC competition. :)

Best Regards

Cliff

Edited by cliffh
  • Like 5

i'm just getting a little nervous because i haven't heard anything back after sending Battle Eagle in...? =-)

It seems that this email software at abbuc.de does not work properly sometimes, we had to send Assembloids XE directly to Sascha Kriegel.

Edited by +Adam+

the NSA and the MI6 (or Prism and Tempora) have to check your mails and software first, before Sascha gets it, so there is some small delay, but nothing to worry about...

Oh crap... i put a dedication to Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden at the end of the title upscroller!!!

(And can someone PM me a more work-y email address please? =-)

I just got an email from skr. He just waked up after a long retro computer night ("Kieler Museumsnacht"). No reason to be nervous... ;-)

That's okay, i'm always nervous... or asleep. Sometimes both. =-)

Finally awake after a really great Event with hundreds of visitors and a Centipede (VCS 2600) Highscore of about 36000 at the visitors Highscore-competition. :)

Jason: What name shall I use? TMR? Cosine?

Bunsen: As requested I´ve changed the type for your entry to "Game"

---

Update :

Entries so far:

Title - Genre - Author

X-8 - Game - Xuel

Ten-liners - Game - The NOMAMs

Assembloids XE - Game - xeen, Adam, stRing

Battle Eagle - Game - Cosine

In case anyone is interested. I just finished "making a game". What does that mean?

It means, now everything works (shops, picking up items, finishing the game).

So, it COULD be submitted. However, there are some assets missing (SFX and logo for title screen).

As well as many many enemies to set and rooms to design.

And the most annoying part, it doesn't work on real HW. As I haven't got my freezer yet, I have no idea where to check.

So, I might send in a preliminary version as well as sending it to phaeron (who has found some bugs before :) )

• Like 2

Hi, we just mailed our game entry for the annual ABBUC Software Contest 2013.

post-6830-0-36833700-1377972319_thumb.png

Objective

Rolltris is a Tetris variation where you have to create gapless rows in order to clear them from the playfield.
The difference is that you cannot move or rotate the piece that is falling. Instead you may choose rows at the bottom of the playfield and shift them to the left or right, arranging gaps for the falling pieces. The game has 10 levels with increasing pace.
The game is over when a landed piece (or part thereof) stays in the checkered area of the playfield.

post-6830-0-98518100-1377972099_thumb.png post-6830-0-54293200-1377972116_thumb.png

Requirements
Atari 8-bit computer with 64 KBytes of RAM, a joystick or a keyboard. Tested on PAL 800XL/XE models. Should work on NTSC (further testing required); the game detects the videostandard and adjusts music and gameplay speed accordingly. Therefore, the scores should be comparable between PAL and NTSC systems.

Authors
Code and idea by Marek Pavlík (MaPa)
Graphics, music and documentation by Zdeněk Eisenhammer (PG)
Betatesting by the authors plus Karel Ondráček (Solaris) and František Houra (Fandal). Thank you!

Quick Facts
• The development of the game started on August 10, 2013, 21 days before the deadline. The game was finished just on the day of the ABBUC Software Contest deadline.
• It was MaPa’s idea to revert the classic Tetris concept.
• Each of the 7 standard tetris pieces has a different color. This is achieved by the now well-known trick of coloring certain playfield objects by ORing with PMGs (known as PRIOR0). This makes it possible to have up to 21 colors in a line while the used ANTIC4 (160x240) mode offers 5 colors as a standard.
• There are 10 levels in the game.

Link to video sample

• Like 7

Update :

Entries so far:

Title - Genre - Author

X-8 - Game - Xuel