IGNORED

ABBUC Software-Contest 2013 - Entries

skr

Is intro for the game displayed correctly? When does it stop and how? On the title screen?

It boots, then the credits come. This works, and looks good. Then again loading, then there is a screen that is obviously having issues. It rolls (too much scanlines used in DL?)?

I did not understand what to do then; now I found out pressing fire does do a thing. So now it loads further, and then another garbage screen is shortly visible, and then the game start. I did (and do) not understand the manual.

I only tested games shortly. The only games I booted more than once where the games/tools which I gave 7 or more points. All other titles did not make a very good first impression. I now understand that the problems with The Hunt did lead to only a one time impression.

skr and I are still in Essen at the Programming Workshop - official results will be published when we have finished or Pizza and the Workshop game :-)

Take your time and good apetite :)

One question thou... Will there be any small consolation prize for places 11 and 12?

Greetings

"The Hunt" - could you write some more what is so wrong with this game that it got 1 and 3 points out of 10?

Hi, well, first of all, there was the bug itself with the rolling screen. As the competition specifically states that it must work on real hardware, I thought that this dropped it a few points.

And secondly, personal preference. The game itself looks like it was well put together (apart from the bug) and if I was into games like this more, it would have got a higher score. I like games that I can just pick up and play. Anyway, don't worry, my scores count for nothing as I didn't submit my scores on time.

Don't think of this as a three out of ten (as you might), because there's an element of me ordering the results according to which games I want to be ahead of others. And I didn't sit there for ages working out justified scores for each game, just some scores I came up with out of my head.

If I was reviewing it for a magazine, it'd probably get 65 to 70%.

I do feel bad now! :(

Hello guys

Yes I was there. But it's SKR's task to tell you guys what places you guys landed on. BTW "landed on" shouldn't be taken as a hint.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edit: I see he did. Congratulations to those who won. And to some of you: Please test you software on REAL Atari 8 bit computers and not just emulators.

Edited by Mathy

If I was reviewing it for a magazine, it'd probably get 65 to 70%.

I do feel bad now! :(

At first, after I read the question Ilment wrote, I felt the same. But then I restarted the game, and I tried to understand the magazine again, and then I still found the same. I really appreciate all the work people put in this, and perhaps when I (finally) understand the game, I probably give a higher score; but at this moment, one point.

My first 25 years of atari I did not see ANYTHING COOL in M.U.L.E.! Now I understand the game.... it is one of my favorites.

But when I had to give points for M.U.L.E. 25 years ago I probably would have given 1 points too.

So that is what my score is worth... not much.

X-8 is winning... I think that is a cool game; I hope it will be finished one day... then it will be a winner indeed. At moment of voting, Assembloids and Rolltris were both my absolute favorite games. Still.

Please test you software on REAL Atari 8 bit computers and not just emulators.

Can not agree more about that.

I only use on real computer. In fact... I still use the original Abbuc Floppy disks most of the time to test the software.

When I saw the problem with the Hunt, I already knew what time it was: emulator time.

I love my Atari 8bit computers.... It is not for nothing, that I have over 100 atari 8bit computers in da house.

Ok, pseudografx is faster than me. ;)

Yes, the results are online: http://www.abbuc.de/atari/software-ressort/78-software

At the JHV the president decided also to award places 11-14 with a small gift.

Congratulations to all Participants and many thanks for a great competition!

Bet regards,

Sascha

Ok, pseudografx is faster than me. ;)

Yes, the results are online: http://www.abbuc.de/atari/software-ressort/78-software

At the JHV the president decided also to award places 11-14 with a small gift.

Congratulations to all Participants and many thanks for a great competition!

Bet regards,

Sascha

skr, just 1 remark, my game is Xirius defect, not Xirious defect... it does not suppose to recall word "serious"... it should recall chemical weapons used in Syria this year. -just in case if it did not ring the bell :)

• Like 1

Wow, would never have thought that X8 wins.

congrats to the guys.

Besides this, looks like puzzle games are the way to go... :)

EDIT:

It's my own fault if I and OSon would have voted we would have been at least 5th :)

Very close results

Edited by Creature XL
  • Like 1

skr, just 1 remark, my game is Xirius defect, not Xirious defect... it does not suppose to recall word "serious"... it should recall chemical weapons used in Syria this year. -just in case if it did not ring the bell :)

And corrected that one too, thanks for the hint.

Congratulations X8 guys, well done :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I look forward to the finished version :)

Deathchase XE was my favourite and I also liked The Hunt. There are many good games in this years contest, refelected in the scoring being so close. I'll put some feedback on the individual games threads ;)

Don't forget the HSC's Abbuc software contest Hi-Scores thread, just for fun of course :grin:

Thanks to all.

It's one of the happiest days of my life and you all know why.

It was from the start because I battle so much to get games on A8 and finally someone start and finish the code. XUEL you are great!

Thanks also to TMR that freely offer 'our ship' sprite knowing we will be 'enemys' on the contest and STE'86 that said me he already got the money on the 80s for the Armalyte ships sprites. A big BIG THANKS to them.

Thanks to all and don't forget that we have updatdes to come ;) ...

• Like 8

Well,

@Ilmenit: You are not on the last place ! I guess Stefan`s and my vote prevented that... ;-)

Besides, since I do only own 800XL computers, the game was only tested on them (and with Atari 800 Win). Luckily I have seven XL computers and thus the game had been tested on 64k, 320k, 576k and 1088k computers. Regarding the bug: It showed on the title screen (the big / fullscreen b/w picture which says The Hunt) and alas, it also showed garbage on the (following) main game for a second. But otherwise the game loaded and worked fine.Your program was delivered on a 5,25" disk, 130k format and a gamedos named MypicoDOS 4.05 on it (there was no need to hold down the Option key, since Basic is switched off automatically).

It has been really sad, that you were not there, when we reported the bug to you and thus you could not fix it before the deadline. You would have gained more points without that bug for sure. Hopefully you are creating an update / fixed version after the contest. Don`t be sad or angry and do not let others demoralize you and your program. Its not a shoot-em-up or an arcade game, its more a strategic game with action elements. Similar to chess you have to plan your every move in advance and (again similar to chess) you also have to know how your enemies can move (rtfm) and therefore you have to calculate their moves in advance to survive as long as possible.

@ProWizard: I cannot believe that the game does not work on your machine. Try it with 64k RAM and standard XL/XE OS (MyIDE, SIDE and other extra hardware disabled). And err, if you do not know what to do - RTFM ! There is a translated german manual on the Abbuc paper magazine and there is the original english manual on the diskette, what else do you need ? Reading gives knowledge !

On the other hand, everyone can play Pong, Breakout, Pacman or Tetris without a manual. Hopefully the next ASC will not only include such games, because the users are too lazy to read the manual.

-----

If I remember correctly, I gave the following points:

- Assembloids XE: 8 points (good gfx, good gameplay, but not very original; looks like I am already too old or my reflexes are too slow for this kind of game, reminds me of Animal Party, where my reflexes are also too slow)

- X8: 8 points (great game/gameplay and gfx, alas unfinished)

- The Hunt: 8 points (very good strategic game, alas there is this annoying bug)

- Deathchase XE: 7 points (good conversion, but too easy for me ! simply fire endlessly and the enemies will sooner or later come to you, no need to turn very far to the left or right)

- Xirius Defect: 6 points (good game, but way too easy !)

- Tenliners: 6 points (1 point per game, but thinking about it now, this was way too much)

- Battle Eagle: 5 points (level 1 is way too tough !)

- oh no, not another Tetris, errmm Rolltris: 4 points

- Fuji-Time: 3 points (nice clock, but I do not have any use for it)

- Heli in the Caves: 2 points (has quite some bugs, is still unfinished; but most of all I hate the start of the game, it takes too long to upgrade your heli to the maximum; hopefully the arcade mode will be updated in such a way, that your heli is well-equipped right from the start)

- all the rest: 1 point (Slov. Quiz, ATL, Speedway One, DevWar; if these programs were not made for the ASC-2013 I would never use / play them)

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Thanks to all.

It was from the start because I battle so much to get games on A8 and finally someone start and finish the code. XUEL you are great!

Thanks also to TMR that freely offer 'our ship' sprite knowing we will be 'enemys' on the contest and STE'86 that said me he already got the money on the 80s for the Armalyte ships sprites. A big BIG THANKS to them.

Thanks to all and don't forget that we have updatdes to come ;) ...

I'm so pleased you finally got involved in a real game development and WOW very impressive it is too :thumbsup:

I know X8 is still being developed... but here is some feedback:

consider making having the option for manual firing, as it will make the player more involved - the only downside was that it made the player feel slightly detached as you just kept fire in and avoided crashing.

Some incentive to kill all the baddies in each wave to get the powerups perhaps.

More indication of being hit/taking damage.

Fix having to press Start after entering your name.

:)

• Like 1

@ProWizard: I cannot believe that the game does not work on your machine. Try it with 64k RAM and standard XL/XE OS (MyIDE, SIDE and other extra hardware disabled). And err, if you do not know what to do - RTFM ! There is a translated german manual on the Abbuc paper magazine and there is the original english manual on the diskette, what else do you need ? Reading gives knowledge !

On the other hand, everyone can play Pong, Breakout, Pacman or Tetris without a manual. Hopefully the next ASC will not only include such games, because the users are too lazy to read the manual.

What a strange reply from your hand; it is not really I know from you to play so hard on one person?

I explained why the game did not get points for me. All games that I did not like the first time, did not get points (well 1 point). Only the games that I fired up twice or more got more points. Are there ANY guidelines which someone should follow to give points? I do not think so! I was brave enough to post my points table, and author of game asked me what was wrong with the game.

I really can not appreciate it you bashing my reasons. You can disagree about it, and give higher points. You can tell why you love the game. I am ok with that, but you are not going to trash my reasons. That is why we can vote for games. I could have done that in silence; no I explained why.

I also explained what my configuration is. Where do you get the idea that I am with MyIDE or other add ons?

I still do not understand the game, even with reading; I already wrote that; so please think twice before you judge someones intentions again. Thanks.

Edit:

Oh and one more thing... when I read your own comment about rolltris... come on... really? Do you see this as another Tetris? Are you too lazy to try the game a bit further to see that it is everything but another Tetris?

Ofcourse I am not serious about this attack right beneath Edit, but it is just the way you respond about my motivations about The Hunt. Just to make that clear.

Edited by ProWizard

I really LOVE six entries of the abbuc contest:

Assembloids XE - very addictive, can't stop playing it

Battle Eagle - one of the best vertical shooters on atari, interesting graphics

Rolltris - I did not think that it is possible to create another interesting tetris game

BASIC Ten-Liners - Well, I am a part of it, and it was really, really fun to program the game during one day and see the others doing the same. Oh, compared to the other programs it's way too simple.

X-8 - Nice horizontal shooter, but too easy and not finished. For me not really a winner.

The Hunt - My personal favorite, but one has to dive into the game, nothing for impatient action gamers

I am HAPPY with all the other programs. Good work everyone!

Thanks to all.

It was from the start because I battle so much to get games on A8 and finally someone start and finish the code...

Well done José and Xuel !!!

There couldn't be a better way to finally see your ideas proved.

Great, now you can rest a little and treat yourself with a bottle or two of nice Portuguese wine!

ps. And of course tomorrow you start working on your next game ;)

Speedway One 2.1 Avaible from my Homepage. Ver 2.1 has a new in game-Title tune that is Faster and more progressive than the pervious title tune. The new tune is probably better suited for a racing game.

Nice work Jan :thumbsup:

Some feedback:

As always I liked the style of you game and the multiple High Score Table is neat too :thumbsup:

I thought Speedway One was a bit too tough making it frustrating to play, I found it hard to even go faster than the minimum speed. Perhaps a gradual speeding up/intensity of the computer cars would improve things & perhaps make the brakes work more quickly :ponder:

This would be a great game for paddle control - this might seriously improve things...

you could even add another lane or lanes ;)

p.s. liking the new music too :thumbsup: