IGNORED

ABBUC Software-Contest 2013 - Entries

skr

In that light... why not splitting the contest in a short-term and long-term award?

I am aware from the fact that it would be HARD to organize such a thing; but the results this year are what you describe: the action games win, because players even when they try it a few minutes, already have success with it, and give high points.

But... how do these games perform when you played them a few weeks or months?

Perhaps there should also be an award a year after release date. I can imagine that the results are different then.

Everybody was very excited about yoomp... well I played it back then, but now that game is so boring (for me). But Jewel Bits appears to be a keeper (well for me).

My ALL TIME favorite game of all contests is: OCEAN DETOX. I play this game a lot, and everytime I'm wondering: will I make it or not. (And the bonus is that lovely screen at the end, with the fabulous out-of-key song at the end; that music is so terrible that I love it!)

Or perhaps very four or five years a bonus for best contribution from the last 4/5 years? I think that is solving the issue you describe.

When it turns out that The Hunt is really such a great game, I will eventually understand it, and go playing it. It took a long time before I started to appreciate M.U.L.E. too!

I think this discussion is quite pointless. It really does not matter since votes are closed and results are published. Voting is subjective thing, you never know how it ends.

I just want to point out Kaz Kompo at www.atarionline.pl, where are listed ALL games created in current year and ANYBODY can vote for these games. Winnner of Kaz Kompo is practically game of the year.

We will see then which one is the best.

• Like 4

I think this discussion is quite pointless. It really does not matter since votes are closed and results are published. Voting is subjective thing, you never know how it ends.

My point wasn't to change the voting of this years contest.

It was about what to do now. "Heli in the Caves" was intermediate step for a bigger game.

However, when nobody wants to play such games, why do it?

If I know it advance, I am surely able to hack together a puzzle game, at least I think I am :)

• Like 1

I agree with Matosimi. There already is a contest which respects all the work.

And only because a game does not win a voting it does not mean that nobody plays it. Like ProWizard writes: In a few years you´ll know which games have the biggest long-time motivation.

The intention of the ABBUC Software Competition is to engage people to program stuff. And with this I think we have been successful. But of course every year we check, how we can make the contest even more attractive and productive.

The general structure will be the same next year, and so I am looking forward to a great competition in 2014. But for now I am happy with this years software, as there are many highscores to be beaten (SDorndorf is an amazing strategist and will be hard be beaten in "The Hunt") and stuff to be written (ATL).

And of course I am looking forward to the Kaz Kompo and to see, what else there has been this year.

I don´t see any pointless discussion here, just gathering of ideas that keeps us moving on. And let´s be honest: This is a great time to play Atari!

Edited by skr
  • Like 1

Yeah, MatoSimi is right. I encourage all AtariAge members to take part in Kaz Kompo and vote for THE best game of the year.
To remind the winners from the last three years:
2012:
1. Ridiculous Reality
2, Line Runner
3. Callisto

2011:
1. Space Harrier
2. Marbled
3. Mighty Jill Off

2010:
1. His Dark Majesty
2. Ocean Detox
3. Dr. Mario
  • Like 4

It was about what to do now. "Heli in the Caves" was intermediate step for a bigger game.

However, when nobody wants to play such games, why do it?

If I know it advance, I am surely able to hack together a puzzle game, at least I think I am :)

Only problem with Heli in the Caves (imho) is the thing that you mentioned - Its not finished...

If it would look like Cybernoid II on C64 and would have all the things you wrote on that big list - it would for sure be in one of top places...

You did an awesome job in very short time, and if you don't mind me saying it - it shows...

Heli sprite just doesn't look that good ...

On the other hand pieces in Rolltris look just as they should.

So, in my opinion there is nothing wrong with your game genre choice, it's just that it is very complex topic (same reason why I didn't even come to 10% of finishing my game entry for this years compo...).

Start coding now and there will be no such puzzle game that can beat your new over the top complex game ! :)

• Like 3

I think there should be an extra week before the voting*; it was a rush to try all the entries this year, you would then get more people voting and more time to get into the more involved games. (*if there are more than 10 entries perhaps)

Yes more complex games, puzzle games, turn based games, they are all welcome. The genre that seems rare is the 'classic' arcade game (I'm hoping my entry for next year will be in this category... only 10 months to go!). It would be great if all games offered some long term play.

I think the closeness of the votes this year reflects the high quality and quantity of entries overall - just look at previous years game vs game...

Yes, the Kaz compo is great fun, and let's you catch up on a few games you missed ;-)

How about running some retrospective compos for the previous years, might be fun :?:

p.s. An English version of the ALT viewer would be good, I still don't really know what to do but I think it might be of interest ;)

I found Dev War link:

But, does anybody know how to load this properly in emulators? I got to the DOS screen... what else should I do?

Dev War is an Atari Basic program. You need to either load the Basic ROM image, or enable the Basic firmware option and restart the emulator. When you get the READY prompt type RUN "D1:DEVWAR.BAS"

Edited by cliffh
  • Like 1

Our club (ABBUC) competition is awesome.

Money prizes are high and the quality of programs excels too.

The goal of that competition is to push people to program.

KazKompo contest has another goal, to chose previous year best A8 game.

BTW, I prefer that voting system (you have to vote from 10 to 1) instead of ABBUC contest one (you can express every vote you want between 10 and 1 - that mean that, for example, it is possible to give a 10 and nine 1, to have larger gaps between games).

Here are all KazKompo results:

Ridiculous Reality
Line Runner
Callisto
Space Harrier
Marbled
Mighty Jill Off
His Dark Majesty
Ocean Detox
Dr. Mario
Kolony 2106
Nightshade
Ghastly Night
(Tempest Xtreem 5th place)
Bomb Jack
Hobgoblin
Knight Lore
Yoomp!
Crownland
Mindblast
Flowers Mania
Klony
Nibbly

• 2 weeks later...

Nice video :)

You don´t know Death Race with Jason Statham? Watch this:

Heli in the caves is simple: Push the stick into the desired direction TWICE (click click) to tun the Heli. Or choose Arcade controls. This is cool because you can shoot while flying backwards! Watch out for the new release (linked to somewhere around here), you start with more money making the game not so boring in the first 10 minutes. Later on when your heli is upgraded the fun starts.

DevWars: Not so easy, my friend. ;) You do not get any energy from shooting. Only be refueling between the waves. After you killed 8 Devs, there will be a tanker, but you need good skills to dock and refuel.

• Like 1

I made a video in which I tried out all of the ABBUC entries on an 800XL (although three or four of them I couldn't get to work.)

Yeah, without manual its hard to understand the game :)

So here it goes, in case you have missed it.

However, many thanks to at least try to review it with a video.

It is designed to run on a PAL Atari. It needs all the "extra" scan-lines to render the sprites.

On NTSC it should either flicker like hell or hang the machine when many enemies and shots are in a room.

BTW, the title picture has the same bug it has on one of my XLs (the exhaust of the Heli looks strange).

My other 800XL displays it just fine. Does anyone know what that could be? When the XL (GTIA?) is cold the pic is correct, but after some seconds it's not :(

The mentioned "Extended Edition" makes good progress and should be done in December.

Maybe even with rotating rotors as it seems more important to games as I thought. :o

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

i was member of abbuc somewhere in 1990-1991 after the discontinuation of the Dutch SAG.

Then I concentrated on ST only till 1994 ... Then I returned to the XL/XE and a few years later I became abbuc member again.

Never regret abbuc membership. It's great!

I do love this software competition a lot and I am very glad every year it brings new and great titles.

Happy atari'ing people!