IGNORED

Pie in the sky?

RobertLM78

This is a static code count, not the occurances during execution. I think I could easily include a printf in MESS inside the CPU emulation to find out about the occurances during runtime. This will, of course, heavily amplify the numbers of those commands that are used in loops.

OK, done. This is the result of starting the TI-99/4A, entering Editor/Assembler, load and run the soft-scrolling demo, then exit, plug in Munchman, start the game, exit after 15 seconds. Note that I did not differentiate between word and byte commands in the last statistics. (Hmm ... why didn't I do it this way the last time?)

2625576 MOVB

2084218 JNE

1538164 DEC

882559 JEQ

785892 MOV

567033 ANDI

537855 LI

515825 B

445086 TB

431942 SWPB

357957 SRL

281136 CLR

232614 LIMI

230950 JMP

225351 SETO

206597 LDCR

199537 JOC

191009 INC

190570 INV

189890 JLT

189008 STCR

185686 SZC

177939 BL

165085 SLA

143935 C

133256 CB

117836 AI

106403 ORI

95228 INCT

91591 CI

73058 JGT

58933 A

53266 SZCB

52223 JL

35656 SBO

35552 SOC

35496 DECT

26751 MPY

24161 DIV

22233 SRA

17970 COC

16262 JNC

14322 AB

12958 JH

12379 LWPI

12232 S

9776 JHE

5255 RTWP

5125 ABS

3645 SRC

3605 CZC

3018 STST

2875 BLWP

2624 STWP

1491 SBZ

1158 SB

899 XOR

851 JLE

504 NEG

300 JNO

273 SOCB

24 X

• Like 1

Interesting to see how things moved around, and that XOP didn't even make the list. There is a lot of byte-oriented moving going on in the 9900 code for sure, and heavy cycle users like MPY, DIV, and BLWP moved down quite a bit. TB had a big jump, probably due to the way the 99/4A reads the keyboard and joystick, which is probably due to running MunchMan.

Very interesting. I did ask for games and got just that. Thanks. Wonder if the boot, TI Basic, XB and something GPL oriented like perhaps Car Wars would change anything. And Parsec to balance it. Either way, this makes the TI-99/4A appear even more 8-bit type machine in my eyes. Obviously heavy use of VDP - and even more so on machines with no extra RAM, which were perhaps more than 90% of sold consoles. Virtually no CPU RAM (even the Coleco game console came with 4 times more), multiplexer, waitstates, 8K cart area (Coleco has 32K), GROM, GPL, ... Stuff like Elite and GeOS seem easier on C64, Spectrum and MSX.

Would have thought that BL would rank higher.

:)

9900.gif

What's the word on this SAMS card? Ninerpedia suggests that it may be in production, but I'm not sure how up-to-date that is. The article says "The card is in production again as a kit (summer 2007)", but that's 6 years ago now.

I think Mike Dudek still sells them as kits or finished boards via eBay. Search eBay for the user mdude and you might find one listed, or shoot him a message. He used to have a website but I think that's gone now.

• Like 1

True, but don't you have to set-up what is being incremented and get it into the accumulator or something like that (showing my lack of 8-bit CPU knowledge here)?

For some things, yes, others no. For example, on the Z80 you can add H to L without using the A (accumulator) register (IIRC - it's been years!) but if you want to do, say a logical operation, only the accumulator can do them.

I think you get more savings with byte-code where you are running against a virtual machine. That way a single byte-code instruction can perform what would be many assembly instructions, thus you get better instruction density with the byte-code and trade off some speed and control.

Definately. Forth scores here. And there are different flavours of Forth VMs: On some, the 'code thread' is a list of addresses, (fast) and on others it's a byte-code which indicates the offset into an array of addresses (slower, but half the size).

• 2 weeks later...

I think Mike Dudek still sells them as kits or finished boards via eBay. Search eBay for the user mdude and you might find one listed, or shoot him a message. He used to have a website but I think that's gone now.

Thanks Willsy - I somehow missed your response here. I searched mdude, but only returned a few unwrapped carts. - neat, but not really what I was looking for. I'll just have to keep my eyes pealed, as I would *really* like to upgrade from the 32k I have now :D.

I recommend the SAMS and all Assembly. With 1024K it would be awesome!

Speaking of SAMS, my searches for one of those haven't returned anything and I'd really like to get one (of course, preferably the 1024K version :)). Two upgrades that I need are a SAMS card and an F18A (of course, the latter I know how to get: thank you Matthew for putting those together - I'll be ordering one ASAP :)).

I have a original 1024K SAMS card but as I normally use only Classic99 I still love it.

That is why I built SAMS into RXB.

All the original Commands for the SAMS are built in for anything you want to do in RXB.

But to simplify the SAMS I put in CALL AMSBANK to switch lower 8K pages.

Of course I also built CALL BLOAD and CALL BSAVE to load or save lower 8K to PGM Image files.

The SAMS would be something 100% better then SuperCarts as how the hell do you switch memory from a SuperCart on the fly?

The SAMS solved this issue with a very small Assembly program to do so, unlike SuperCarts that are complicated as hell and never two the same.

Rich

• 9 months later...

The best chance of some decent vector graphics on the TI is probably the method recently described by artrag that allows the bottom 2/3 of the screen to be double buffered:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210888-smooth-scrolling/page-11?do=findComment&comment=2900634

With this method you could produce flicker free monochrome vector graphics, but the update speed would probably be limited to a few frames per second depending on the complexity of the scene. Personally I would never attempt an Elite conversion as I think the result would be a disappointment.

• Like 1

The best chance of some decent vector graphics on the TI is probably the method recently described by artrag that allows the bottom 2/3 of the screen to be double buffered:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210888-smooth-scrolling/page-11?do=findComment&comment=2900634

With this method you could produce flicker free monochrome vector graphics, but the update speed would probably be limited to a few frames per second depending on the complexity of the scene. Personally I would never attempt an Elite conversion as I think the result would be a disappointment.

Can you hear it?-the sound of a grown man crying :_(

• Like 1

Never played Elite, but from the few video's I've seen about it in the past it doesn't look like you ever have more than one object on the screen at once? If so, and seeing the simplicity of the geometry I'd reckon it could be doable... But I'm not volunteering, let me finish my side scrolling platformer first :).

Never played Elite, but from the few video's I've seen about it in the past it doesn't look like you ever have more than one object on the screen at once? If so, and seeing the simplicity of the geometry I'd reckon it could be doable... But I'm not volunteering, let me finish my side scrolling platformer first :).

I have played Elite to a degree that is totally unhealthy on various platforms and there are several instances in the game where multiple vector objects are on screen at the one time.

This can occurr mainly during combat or on approach to a space station.

• Like 1