IGNORED

Looking for help valuing Odyssey Lot

Looking at this lot (sorry... keeping location secret as I"m interested!!)

post-31092-0-76807200-1368581984_thumb.jpg

he's asking $150

seems a bit steep for Odyssey to me.. opinions?

Admittedly I've been out of the buying market for sometime, but I think that price is steep too. I wouldn't go more than $75.00. The carts he's got with that lot look to be fairly common carts. The one cart looks to have some kind of repro label on it. I'm referring to the cart just right of the "Computer Intro" manual. Also, the silver joystick I doubt can be used with this OD2. The black stick are hard wired in. Maybe he has the silver one for parts. I don't know. I hope that helps.

I'd do about $60 max. Dude's high if he thinks he's getting any $150.

There was a lot of mixing and matching with the detachable/nondetachable and silver/black joysticks. There are consoles with removable black joysticks, and consoles with hardwired silver joysticks. I don't think any are substantially more valuable than the others. A removable-stick version might fetch an extra $10 or something.

Come to think of it, I still need a removable-stick O2.

• Like 1

I would pay up to $100 for this, if I was looking for one, but:

1. I'd want to see better photos of the box and console

2. I'd want to know if the cartridges have corrosion or not. (O2 games have a metal piece on the bottom that is prone to corrosion if left exposed to the elements.)

3. I would want to know it would be packed in another box with packing material to protect it from moving around.

For me, there is added value in the console being in the original box with the fitted styrofoam. Also, the silver controllers are unusual.

If the condition of the console was extremely good, I would pay the $150 he is asking.

The detachable silver joysticks came with the first release O2. The RF tip is proprietary on early models and requires the switchbox. You can swap out this cord for a regular RF cord if you're willing to open up the console. Later models used a standard RF tip, which would allow you to use the F plug for better video. Be sure to ask if there is any "cord melt" on the plastic; O2s are known for this.

• Like 1

The only trouble I've had with replacing that weird cord is the space inside the console is too cramped for a regular RCA connector. Last one I did, I used the cable from a dead 4-switch 2600 (as it has the shorter RCA connector on one end).

Ha, I didn't know that was yours. Good term. The way that RF cord is wrapped around the console, cord melt is a definite possibility!

I don't know if I *invented* it, but I'd never seen it being used before I brought it up in this thread.

Regardless, I agree it can be a problem on Odyssey 2s. The joystick cords are softer than most others, which I've read makes them more susceptible to melting into plastic. Between the two joysticks and a mile-long RF cord hardwired to the thing, there's a lot of potential for cord melt if the previous owner didn't store the console properly.