IGNORED

GT6 on PS3 in 2013

Reaperman

GT6 on PS3 in 2013

Wow. It's really happening. Full story here.

Maybe, they can win me back after GT5, if this is a really well thought out game.

I really didn't care much for that game, but all it took was an announcement trailer for the next one and I'm right back again--that's kind of sad.

Good thing this game isn't coming out on ps4 though, or there's no way I'd give them another chance.

Trailer music is a helluva lot better this time around too:

Edited by Reaperman

I had to quit the last game due to wonky controls. I couldn't unlock the rest of the map because of some stupid forced motorcycle chase mission. GTA5 doesn't excite me with it's 3 characters. Maybe the map size will change my mind. GTA6 better be darn mind blowing. That's all I have to say.

UPDATE: I'm a dork. I've been talking about Grand Theft Auto in a topic about Gran Turisimo. I'll eventually buy GTA6 when it hits the bargain bin. By then I should be done with HALF the cars in the GTA that's currently out.

• Like 1

Hopefully they get it right this time.

As for the track counts, I wonder how they're handling the DLC tracks from GT5 (Spa, a karting track, Special Stage Route X, and Motegi)? Are they included with the GT5 track count that is being carried over, will they again be DLC additions, or are they sneakily counting them as original additions to the game to pad that figure since technically they weren't originally a part of GT5?

I would hope that Spa and Motegi will be in here (Especially Spa). Don't care about the karting track or the long straightaway.

Edit: It would appear that Bathurst is a likely candidate for one of the new additions.

http://www.gtplanet....scanned-for-gt/

Edited by Atariboy

Call me weird, but I don't like 'real world tracks' very much. They're a mile wide with huge runoff areas, and they get really samey from game to game, since every title seems to feature the usual suspects these days.

I like gran turismo for its original sports car tracks. Shorter, narrower, with lots of neat scenery, elevation changes and creative curves to master. There's no 'have to get it right' laser scanning involved either. My favorite original track was GT4's El Capitan.

If GT6 is up to the quality of GT4, I will be one happy camper.

Edited by Reaperman

Call me weird, but I don't like 'real world tracks' very much. They're a mile wide with huge runoff areas, and they get really samey from game to game, since every title seems to feature the usual suspects these days.

The more modern tracks tend to be pretty sterile. But there are a lot of classics like the Nurburgring (Which is a real life racetrack that hosted the German round of Formula One until the mid 1970's when it was deemed too dangerous) still around that are anything but boring and have spectacular scenery.

Hopefully a few of those get in here like Virginia International Raceway. Britain and Australia have a lot of interesting classics still around as well.

And the list is near endless for defunct tracks. There was a French track that hosted F1 on the side of an extinct volcano for an example of an exciting track from the past. GT has dipped into classics a bit before with older layouts of current circuits so maybe they'll have a surprise like this lined up to use some of those classic cars on.

Edited by Atariboy

The more modern tracks tend to be pretty sterile. But there are a lot of classics like the Nurburgring (Which is a real life racetrack that hosted the German round of Formula One until the mid 1970's when it was deemed too dangerous) still around that are anything but boring and have spectacular scenery.

Yeah, and while I know the nurburgring will be in gt6, I'm pretty sick of that track. It's been in so many racing games that I've bought over the last decade. It's so long that it resists memorization, and it gets lonely as hell out there since current games support so few cars on track. Not so great for scenery either. While there are a few interesting views off the sides of the track like the distant castle, mostly it's trees, trees, trees. It tends to hypnotize me.

boring.

Gran Turismo original tracks are generally far more interesting. I don't need something with a vertical loop and jump ramps, but lakes and mountains are always nice. Maybe a monkey to wave at every time I pass under him... I like trial mountain monkey...

Rumors about bathurst are slightly interesting, though. It meets most of my 'good track' checklist. So does that french track in the vid.

Edited by Reaperman

Really? I like lots of greenery and elevation changes so the Ring is still fun for me even if there's not much for sightseeing beyond the castle, some old homes, and mountains and valleys. Car counts though like you said ruin it. Hopefully though GT6 will make another jump in that area. And if they were to do older versions of it, you'd be getting airborne in at least three different locations before they tried to tame it in a last ditch effort to make it safe back in 1970.

007poster.gif

It was particularly bad on Tourist Trophy where you only were "racing" against one or maybe two other motorcycles.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

First gameplay footage is out. Looks like more of the same to me--which is fine for the driving part. I do hope they improved the goddamn UI. I spent more time wading between menus and around lobbies than I did actually playing gt5. And of course every one of them had its own loading screen. GT games have never had good interfaces, but GT5 really kicked it up a notch.

Track is boring as hell, but I'm sure some dorks somewhere are cheering that flat, wide, featureless loop #4 is now in yet another video game. I keep hearing that the track editor is going to better in gt6--which is good, because it'd be hard for it to be any worse than before. Maybe we're supposed to make the interesting tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WZxx4XTzFI

Edited by Reaperman

After racing the Bathurst track in rFactor if they actually add it to GT6 it will be anything but flat and boring as hell. Then again I'm sure most online races will still stick to the easiest tracks like they have in every racing game in history.

For me, a big draw of the GTA series has been pushing the graphic fidelity far beyond what you usually expect. GTA 2 was mind blowing and GTA4 wasn't bad either.

GTA 5 just didn't do anything for me. Everything but the cars looked flat and low polygon. These GTA6 videos show no progress (to me).

UPDATE: I'm doing it again. I really meant Gran Turisimo this time, guys!

IMO, the online/offline UI in gt games needs to be taken away from Kaz. He has a fair eye for the driving aspects, but the rest is just a huge let down. GT5 is ps3's best selling game, and just maybe it takes more than just a Polyphony Digital to make one of these happen anymore. GT5 should never have felt half-finished, and it still does.

Maybe single-player progression should be taken from him too.

Things I'd like to see:

make the experience less sterile. Bumps in the road, tweak sound design up to par

more cars on the track, even at the expense of some car detail. If people want huge races, let them deal with lower poly cars.

Kill 'standard' tracks/cars. It doesn't look like this is going to happen, so maybe outsource the remodeling of them.

give me menus where I don't have to load high-detail cars in the background before I interact with them

make the noticable 2d paper cutout trees go away

'Social features' have so far been pretty stupid in GT5. Just let us join leagues, schedule our own events, and chat in league lobbies/boards.

Let me tune the settings of a car, while I'm taking a test drive around the track. (shift2u-style)

allow AI cars in multiplayer online (as an option)

make it easier to grab online ghost cars for time trials (from my friends list, my leagues, people globally)

generate racing line(s) based on ghost car laps.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Things I'd like to see:

make the experience less sterile. Bumps in the road, tweak sound design up to par

more cars on the track, even at the expense of some car detail. If people want huge races, let them deal with lower poly cars.

Kill 'standard' tracks/cars. It doesn't look like this is going to happen, so maybe outsource the remodeling of them.

give me menus where I don't have to load high-detail cars in the background before I interact with them

make the noticable 2d paper cutout trees go away

'Social features' have so far been pretty stupid in GT5. Just let us join leagues, schedule our own events, and chat in league lobbies/boards.

Let me tune the settings of a car, while I'm taking a test drive around the track. (shift2u-style)

allow AI cars in multiplayer online (as an option)

make it easier to grab online ghost cars for time trials (from my friends list, my leagues, people globally)

generate racing line(s) based on ghost car laps.

Totally agree. Especially with the menu's. :P

Track is boring as hell, but I'm sure some dorks somewhere are cheering that flat, wide, featureless loop #4 is now in yet another video game. I keep hearing that the track editor is going to better in gt6--which is good, because it'd be hard for it to be any worse than before. Maybe we're supposed to make the interesting tracks.

Silverstone was a WWII bomber base and was just a farmer's field before the war. That's why it's so flat.

It was a neat place before they started slowing it down starting in the 1970's when Formula One became safety conscious before being almost completely redone in the early 1990's when even the sanitized classic track was determined to be too dangerous. Still has a few neat spots though. It's all bypassed in the configuration used in that GT6 video above, but the old last turn before the new addition relocated the start/finish straight three or four years ago that is called Woodcote, the old front straight, and the old turn 1 called Copse I still enjoy. About the only place on the present day circuit that resembles the old track and the old turn 1 is easily the most challenging turn on the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCFgZiw3ZDc

And the left/right/left/right complex right known to F1 fans as the Maggotts/Becketts/Chapel complex after the old turn 1 is sort of fun and is popular even though the old configuration that it replaced in the early 90's was far superior and much faster.

That said, I kind of find it dull overall too. Was especially bad in the original Forza on the Xbox for some reason. Was really hard to identify things like turn apexes, detirmine braking distances, and so on due to the sparse scenery.

For me, a big draw of the GTA series has been pushing the graphic fidelity far beyond what you usually expect. GTA 2 was mind blowing and GTA4 wasn't bad either.

GTA 5 just didn't do anything for me. Everything but the cars looked flat and low polygon. These GTA6 videos show no progress (to me).

GTA II looks just like the original GTA to me although I imagine there's more of a jump on the Dreamcast or PC than with the Playstation version. But you're doing it again.

UPDATE: I'm a dork. I've been talking about Grand Theft Auto in a topic about Gran Turisimo. I'll eventually buy GTA6 when it hits the bargain bin. By then I should be done with HALF the cars in the GTA that's currently out.

The thread is about Gran Turismo, not Grand Theft Auto. ;)

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

And the left/right/left/right complex right after the old turn 1 is sort of fun and is popular even though the old configuration that it replaced in the early 90's was far superior. That said, I kind of find it dull overall too.

I also notice the videos you're posting are from much faster cars than what I drive in any game. That's part of my desire for 'original' tracks. At 'miata speed,' just about any laser-scanned, world class f1 track is going to be about as much fun as AIDS. I have a lot of sight-seeing time compared to other players.

It bugs me a bit that gran turismo single player campaigns always push me into faster cars. If I want to be slow, I figure it should keep throwing new events (with rewards) at me until I'm the damn 5-time, slo-mo world champion. That GT500 series before the first set of gt5 credits nearly gave me a heart attack. Things stop driving anything like 'cars' at around 300hp.

I never managed to finish that gt5 red bull challenge. I just wasn't having fun. For a long while in gt5, I set a personal challenge of seeing how fast I could get around every track in a 100hp car. I had fun with that.

Edited by Reaperman

I agree with you, slow cars in these games are the most fun. Especially with a gamepad, driving a modern Formula One car, LeMans prototypes, 1960'/1970's era American muscle cars, and the latest sports car from companies like Ferrari is more frustration than anything in these simcades requiring too much caution to feel like you're actually racing.

The last video is from a 1965 Formula One modification for a popular 1967 F1 simulation called Grand Prix Legends from 1998. Formula One engines that year were just a bit over 200HP. The game has a nice sense of speed and most of all, it's a very fast layout back then. So even a slow car by modern racing standards looks quick (Current F1 has about four times the HP not to mention there was no aerodynamic downforce to speak of in 1965 and the tires were treaded and very narrow).

The pole position in 1965 was over 116mph. Still faster than the average speed for pole position at Monaco today and competitive with several other courses like the Hungaroring that hosts the Hungarian round of F1. If you want to see a really fast classic though, look up Grand Prix Legends Spa on YouTube. Makes Silverstone look like a ride through a parking lot. 9 miles of mostly just straightaways and sweeping turns.

Scary place even with 200hp racecars with no barriers, telephone poles inches away, trees, houses, ditches, hillsides, etc.

Edited by Atariboy

GT1 is my favorite, of all time. GT2 was sort of in slow-motion (the game is definitely slower than GT1), and the WAY OVERDONE "rev limiter" feature just about zapped the fun out of it for me. Sure, throwing it down 3 gears when you're already at redline will probably destroy something, but this is a video game. Rev limiters also don't function upon gear-downs; they can't. Choosing a manual-shift in GT1 and then really riding the redline was the most fun in the game. In GT2, the exaggerated bouncy tachometer ("NEER-NEER-NEER-NEER" sounds as the tach needle bounced) was probably the worst thing about the entire game.

GT2 was also buggy to the point that achieving 100% completion wasn't possible. Surprisingly, there are a number of folks I've talked to over the years who like GT2 but have never played (or compared) GT1. Everybody should try GT1; it's a masterpiece in the history of gaming.

GT3 really brought my attention back to GT series, and I love GT4, as well. I've only played GT5 at a friends house for a little while, and in the stores a little, before that. I didn't like it, and I thought the Forza series captured (better) what it is that I like about the GT series, to begin with. If GT6 is good and captures my attention like GT1, GT3, GT4 - I'll be very tempted to buy a PS3 slim-slimmer machine, just to play it, and complete the collection.

I'm hoping this rocks! Please!!!!

It's a "simcade" so you can't blame it too much for trying to incorporate a bit of realism. You'd destroy your transmission, engine, or both if you ever did that in a real racecar. Not to mention that you'd likely wreck the car itself as you spin out of control after doing that due to a variety of reasons.

You can hit the rev limiter when you're downshifting. The engine rev limiting feature doesn't care what state the transmission happens to be at the time. Just that RPM's are approaching the danger mark for the engine so it kicks in in an attempt to prevent damage.

Beyond something like Outrun (Where you either just lack the choice of automatic or if it's an Outrun 2 series game you need manual to perform drifts), I've never bothered shifting with gamepads so I never noticed what you're talking about. Without a proper wheel, I stick with automatic shifting. If I have a wheel and paddle shifters, an in-line shifter, or an H pattern shifter I'll certainly go with manual shifting every time.

But it just loses all of its appeal with a gamepad like on the original Playstation.

Edited by Atariboy

I just hope FFS they fix the damn engine sounds, nothing like driving a high end V8 that sounds like a Hoover vacuum, it sort of takes you out the game (you have to change views just to double check what car you are driving).

If they keep GT auto in GT6 they need to make it where you can change oil or rebuild the engine while in a online lobby. And they need to add a dummy light icon for cars that need a oil change and engine rebuild when in your garage.

I'm glad that they are finally adding a tire model to the game.

I do hope they add the ability to upload replay videos to YouTube like what they said with GT5.

They need to do away with the standard and premium car BS and make them all premium.

I only hope that they improve the menu loading times, because in GT5 the loading times are painfully slow.

They also need to make it where cars have what they can output in real life when upgraded and tuned (and not capped), I would love to see engine swaps, heck even drivetrain swaps. They really need to revamp the car tunning/upgrading, a bit tired of the same ole BS stage 1, stage 2, stage 3 engine upgrades, they need to do how like forza did with the engine upgrades. You should be able to slap a supercharger or Turbo on any motor/car.

And they definitely need to fix that BS rev limiter /fuel cut off. No car that I have driven has slowed down in speed when you hit the rev lim, they stay at the same speed when you hit the rev lim.

And FFS they need to add brake upgrades, and they need to fix the brakes. Even if you try to set the brake bias the rear end still comes around when you press hard (not lock up) on the brakes.

Edited by madmax2069

Doesn't look to be exactly the current generation Gran Turismo that everyone wanted based off of that.

Gran Turismo 5 seemed sort of an hybrid between what Gran Turismo HD was to be (An HD digital conversion of Gran Turismo 4 to tide gamers over until the true next generation GT) and a true next generation Gran Turismo release that Gran Turismo 5 was supposed to be.

So if GT5 was more like Gran Turismo 4.5, this looks set to be something like Gran Turismo 4.75. Still too many holdovers from the last gen it would appear like the great divide in car quality, it doesn't look very evolved in the two gameplay videos I've seen, damage modeling will remain lackluster and primitive, etc.

I was hoping they'd at least get the game into the state that people expected it to be in two and a half years ago when it finally released after a long and convulated development period, let alone actually advance the formula significantly past that. Instead it looks like just a small step forward that in some ways will still fall short of what was expected of them the last time around with too many compromises.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Edited by Atariboy

Ugh --> damage modelling will be similar to gt5

I was hoping for a revamp. Oh well not a deal breaker.

Edited by cimerians

Yeah, it's not looking like gt6 will be any kind of revolutionary. Not like GT4 was, anyway.

New physics are good, but gt5's physics weren't bad at all. I guess if they streamline the menus that will be a big help for me.

Also this sounds like something that might generate some lasting interest for me:

Community/Club/Race Organizer

• Players can form their own communities
  • Various community levels from local and domestic to global
  • Players themselves can create and manage their own online events

I'd really like to interact with a group of drivers that doesn't try to bash me into the wall at turn one, and random public lobbies were not a good way to have that experience.

I was also watching the below old video when suddenly the gran turismo wierd, vacuum-cleaner sound design started making sense. At about 2:25 they mention that GT1's sounds were recorded inside the trunk:

Edited by Reaperman

Yeah, it's not looking like gt6 will be any kind of revolutionary. Not like GT4 was, anyway.

New physics are good, but gt5's physics weren't bad at all. I guess if they streamline the menus that will be a big help for me.

Also this sounds like something that might generate some lasting interest for me:

I'd really like to interact with a group of drivers that doesn't try to bash me into the wall at turn one, and random public lobbies were not a good way to have that experience.

I was also watching the below old video when suddenly the gran turismo wierd, vacuum-cleaner sound design started making sense. At about 2:25 they mention that GT1's sounds were recorded inside the trunk:

I'm not reliable for online stuff as I never have the time but having an atari age GT community would be cool. Great video, that really brought back some memories.