IGNORED

GT6 on PS3 in 2013

Reaperman

I've been reading some of the reviews on this one.

Gamespot gave it a 7

IGN gave it an 8

Amazon.com user reviews are mixed, many finding it average. Most gripes about many car models that still look like GT4 on PS3, "microtransactions" to purchase missing content that requires ridiculous hours to otherwise acquire, and the A.I. complaining that the computer cars driving such linear paths that they're almost on rails. One of the reviews linked to this Youtube video (48 seconds long):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgsdb5wYMw8

If that video is not fake, then this must be a major disappointment in the A.I. regard.

This all has me thinking I'll be playing GT5 XL Edition for a good while, since the PS3 is still pretty darned new to me. Maybe the price will go down, in the meantime.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd say the AI is hit or miss. Sometimes it will let me drive along side for multiple corners, which is nice, but other times it's so stupid that it just rear ends me and knocks me out of the way.

As far as I see it, it's very much how GT5 drives. GT6 made nothing but improvements. Why did GT5 get such a pass in reviews? I'd rate it a 6.5/10 max, where this is, IMO an 8/10 or more just for being less annoying in its non-driving aspects.

I really wonder how many credit packs they've actually sold. Since the save is unlocked, game genie codes are out--and also the credit glitch is seemingly unpatchable. In an interview it was said that those 'buy in-game cash' items were put there specifically because people were complaining about having to grind too much. They've also reduced the grinding, and dropped 'driver levels' for purchases, so you'd think people would be happier that they've solved it on all possible fronts...

However one big complaint I have is about the new physics, and how some cars react extremely poorly in them. There seems to be some weight transfer issues. A number of MR cars are totally undrivable because of how they behave under braking and/or cornering. It exaggerates weight transfer to the point where keeping the back end planted is impossible. FF cars have it too, but if anything more severe--some of them can stand up on their front wheel when braking.

Edited by Reaperman

• 2 weeks later...

The standard edition is $39.99 at Amazon & GameStop.

I'll still be holding off. Hoping for an XL edition and at the very least, it's guaranteed to go even cheaper.

I wish Forza 4 would get an "Ultimate Edition". Was nice with Forza 3 to get almost all the vehicle DLC along with the game itself at a fraction of what people paid for everything on day 1 (And most of the DLC was on the disc itself which was nice). But with Forza 5 out and only a stripped down version of Forza 4 available so far (The Essential's Edition omits disc 2), I guess that isn't going to happen this time around.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

The standard edition is $39.99 at Amazon & GameStop.

Holy moly. That was a quick price drop!

I'll still be holding off. Hoping for an XL edition and at the very least, it's guaranteed to go even cheaper.

I wish Forza 4 would get an "Ultimate Edition". Was nice with Forza 3 to get almost all the vehicle DLC along with the game itself at a fraction of what people paid for everything on day 1 (And most of the DLC was on the disc itself which was nice). But with Forza 5 out and only a stripped down version of Forza 4 available so far (The Essential's Edition omits disc 2), I guess that isn't going to happen this time around.

I'm glad I'm not the only one hoping for a Forza 4 Ultimate Edition; the Forza 3 Ultimate was so cool! And I'd like a GT6 XL Edition. I'm kind of doubtful, too, that we'll see either, since they're both going to try and kill off these consoles as soon as they can without making existing users feel like they're been burned.

We might not get GT6 XL Edition, particularly with the GT7 talk for next year on the PS4 which would likely be little more than GT6 XL unless Polphony manages a miracle. But I bet at the very least that the standard edition will see a Greatest Hits rerelease.

What makes you think they're going to try to kill both of these off soon? The Xbox only went because it wasn't making money. So once it accomplished its mission of establishing Microsoft in this business, there was little reason to prolong its life.

But I bet that the 360 & PS3 will enjoy a life like the PS2 did after 2005/2006. If anything, it should be even better this time around. Two healthy platforms of similar capabilities compared to just one back then, they're not as nearly dated looking as the PS2 was as the HDTV craze began, and the generation jump is far smaller this time around.

With the scalability of many popular game engines, it should be relatively economical for multiplatform releases to continue to cater to these two large install bases for quite sometime yet.

Edited by Atariboy

Very good points, Atariboy! I hope that's the case. But there's certainly an effort to push the latest platform, as the Sony vs. Microsoft war is now being fought on the PS4/Xbone front - as these two are currently battling for supremacy in numbers and establishing the new leader - and significantly less-so with the outgoing systems, of which late-adopters shall play a trivial role in this rivalry.

Late adapters are lucrative but probably not terribly important overall (But important enough where they're catered to just the same with budget releases including entire system revisions).

But don't underestimate the many millions of gamers that have purchased an Xbox 360 and/or Playstation 3 over the past 7-8 years. There's already an established audience and it will remain large for quite sometime to come. The 360/PS3 business going forward isn't just composed of those buying a system from here on out and includes people like me that purchased those two systems years ago.

Especially with the economics at play, the relatively small generation leap, and many popular releases that are multiplatform and likely will continue to include these two platforms in their lineup, the movement of people to the next generation probably isn't going to be a swift one. And publishers go where their customers are.

I wouldn't be surprised especially if we look at just software sales if it takes at least a couple of years for XB1/PS4 game sales to surpass PS3/360 game sales. 360/PS3 easily have 2-3 years of solid release schedules ahead of them and several more years afterwards for things like hardware and game rerelease sales along with the occasional Madden and such.

Then, I bet at least 5 years afterwards of continued support of their respective online networks before those start to be shuttered.

Edited by Atariboy