IGNORED

Nintendo Wii Hidden Gems

Not really sure how 'hidden' some of those are. A large number of those seemed to be pretty big budget games. Nice vid, though.

xenoblade chronicles might qualify for its late US release. (outside of us nerds, it probably slipped under a lot of radars)

Anno 1404 was more the direction I had hoped the system would go. (wand for mouse control)

geometry wars galaxies wasn't too hidden, but it added some depth to the original and was great fun with the classic controller.

was boom blox hidden? people say so, but there seems to be a million copies out there.

Though they weren't the best on-rails gun games ever, I liked the two nerf games. I especially liked the second one. The best part was the convertible plastic blaster which really hammered in the nerf experience. Plot was the usual stupid cheeseball stuff--even more so than most gun games. Who designs kill-bots with a weakness for suction darts? Lots of depth too. Unlockables, customization, branching paths--and the kids, while slightly annoying, never took it anywhere near far enough that I shut the game off. Those games started me on a nerf blaster collecting binge that thankfully I'm over now. (must have been subliminal messages in the game)

Edited by Reaperman

Great, great video... Thanks for posting it as I enjoyed watching!

A few of the many hidden gems that I really liked and have played several times were Star Trek Conquest, Dawn of Discovery, Zak & Wiki, Little Kings Story, Arc Rise Fantasia, Boom Blox, and de Blob.

Not really sure how 'hidden' some of those are. A large number of those seemed to be pretty big budget games. Nice vid, though.

It's always tricky making these Hidden Gems videos because if you heard of a game or two, is it really hidden? I try to make my videos with a mix of something for everybody, both hardcore and casual collectors.

Speaking of the Wii and sales data, these are the top selling Wii games, if curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games

Now is the time to start collecting for wii.

Amen, brother. I've personally been buying them like crazy over the last couple of months. Many, many titles can be bought online, brand new, for around 20 bucks or less, but you really have to shop around. And thanks to YouTube, you can actually see the games in action, listen to comments from reviewers (my favorites reviewers are "wiiviewr" and "CGR Undertow") and get a feel for the games and avoid the crap shovelware. It's actually fun to discover hidden gems like "de Blob", "Lost in Shadow" or "Ghostbusters" and buy them for cheap. :)

What about cross platform games? Pixel you mention Ghostbusters. The 360/PS3 version is superior graphically, but is the Wii version worthwhile to have both? I think about Call of Duty, Force Unleashed, same thing. The Wii version is way down graphically, but I'm thinking being able to play using the Wii mote is more fun than the high-res systems.

What about cross platform games? Pixel you mention Ghostbusters. The 360/PS3 version is superior graphically, but is the Wii version worthwhile to have both? I think about Call of Duty, Force Unleashed, same thing. The Wii version is way down graphically, but I'm thinking being able to play using the Wii mote is more fun than the high-res systems.

Since I only have a Wii (a Wii Mini to be exact), the fact that certain Wii games are available on other platforms is not really a concern for me, especially given that I don't give graphic quality a very high priority. So I'm not in a good position to answer your question.

Some of the Wii games are starting to bump up in price. I picked up Lost in Shadow new off Amazon for $11 a few months ago, it's now $23. Cursed Mountain, a survival horror game I enjoyed is now $20 (I paid $8 for a new copy).

Fragile Dreams:Farewell Ruins of the Moon is an interesting and atmospheric survival horror-lite game that can still be had for a reasonable price.

Deadly Creatures is cool, and Mushroom Men is a fun 'lil platformer. There's quite a few good, relatively unknown games I enjoyed on the Wii.

• Like 1

three games you must play on Wii:

Battallion Wars 2 - it's the RTS version of the Advance Wars series, and while i never bother with the 1P campaign, i've spent many off-nights drinking and playing co-op over WiFi with a buddy.

Centipede: Infestation - it plays nothing like it's grandpa, but it's really addicting and i played through the entire thing in like two days.

Klonoa - this is a remake of Door To Phantomile (PS1), and i loved that game.

i was going to mention A Boy And His Blob (also a remake), but I see you'll be covering that in your next video already!

Awesome list and video! I thought I kind of knew most of the great Wii games, but you sold me on a couple I wasn't all that familiar with. I like how detailed you were with why Red Steel 2 is worth a look.

I also liked what I saw in your stack for the next episodes, particularly Geometry Wars: Galaxies. It is my favorite Geometry Wars game when played with the Classic Controller twinstick style.

My favorite Wii Game is actually the Gunblade NY / L.A. Machine Guns combo game. I loved those games dearly in the arcades, and the Wii gets a great version. As you loved Ghost Squad, you may like this one too. Though the humor isn't there and the gameplay different, it's another great lightgun shooter from Sega. My other favorite that is unlikely a "hidden" gem would be Rayman Raving Rabbids, for the fun plunger-shooting action and humor. :)

The Wii version of Ghostbusters is done in a totally different but equally as good style than the HD versions, Ive played both. They are both fun and the Wii version doesnt really suffer in comparison in the fun department, but I think if you've finished one you wouldnt need to have the other. The PS2 version is good too, one of th elast great games for that system.

My favorite Wii Game is actually the Gunblade NY / L.A. Machine Guns combo game. I loved those games dearly in the arcades, and the Wii gets a great version.

Yeah, they actually kept the exact same graphics for an authentic 90's arcade feel, which I think was a bold decision. I wish they would do that for other arcade games of that era. For example, I'd love to play Power Drift with the Wii Wheel, or a faithful rendition of the arcade version of Sega's Afterburner (holding the Wiimote like a flight stick).

Also, I'd kill to have Mega Man 9 + 10 released on the same Wii disc, but that's another story. :)

My other favorite that is unlikely a "hidden" gem would be Rayman Raving Rabbids, for the fun plunger-shooting action and humor. :)

If it only had plunger-shooting levels, I would go for it, but there are all those other mini-games that I don't find interesting at all, so I passed on that one.

I am having a hard time finding [Fragile Dreams] locally. I wonder if it was a really small print run...

You can get it from publisher XSEED Games' online store, along with many of their other not-so-recent titles. Pick up some CDs of Ys and Trails in the Sky music while you're at it (unless you already got them from the PSP limited editions of those games). And cloth maps of the world of Ys, you can never have too many of those; I myself have three!

onmode-ky

You can get it from publisher XSEED Games' online store, along with many of their other not-so-recent titles. Pick up some CDs of Ys and Trails in the Sky music while you're at it (unless you already got them from the PSP limited editions of those games). And cloth maps of the world of Ys, you can never have too many of those; I myself have three!

onmode-ky

THANK YOU for the info and link for the Xseed store. I want to pick up the soundtracks and maybe a map or two.

• 6 years later...

Always fun going back to the Wii for some more Hidden Gems. These are games that are relatively unknown but still fun to play! 

Games shown:
Dawn of Discovery
Monster 4x4: Stunt Racer
The Munchables
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
Kid Adventures: Sky Captain
Wicked Monsters Blast!
Battleship
Pitfall: The Big Adventure

The good news is that GameSpot still sells Wii games, so pick em up while they are still relatively cheap!

• Like 1

Totally agree on MoH Heroes 2.  I never really played the franchise before, but I *loved* the light gun mode, and the multiplayer worked really well for what it was.  Quite enjoyable.

Another pick for me would be Order Up! I wasn't that into the Wii mini-game types of games, but this one was quirky and fun.