IGNORED

I'm trying to burn a few freebie homebrews..

Guitari

..and it always seems to me that burns are hit and miss. My particular Jag Cd unit is perfect at reading everything if it's readable. And I have bought a brand new blu-ray/dvd/cd burner for my PC.

since Gunstar told me about Jiffi I've been collecting a free freebies from here and JS2. Using the wonderful ULS boot.cdi option.

I can't get the following to work and wondered if I was doing them right.

The maxx from .JAG

Reactris from .abs (I could only get the Reactris title screen to show)

Zdemo from .abs

and

Zero4 from .abs

the final 2 I have no idea what they actaully are and if they're worth having(?)

I'm using discjuggler on the lowest speed with the setting that Jiffi suggests, RAW etc.

I'm using Verbatim CD-Rs.

All the best

You might want to try booting your CD images with Project Tempest 0.95 before burning (although PT far from runs everything so maybe that's a waste of time...)

You could look at GGN's Jaguar freeware/PD/homebrew/etc. FTP dump, lots of tested and converted stuff there. Can't guarantee it'll all work though as AFAIK nobody has burned all the CDIs from there.

..and it always seems to me that burns are hit and miss. My particular Jag Cd unit is perfect at reading everything if it's readable. And I have bought a brand new blu-ray/dvd/cd burner for my PC.

since Gunstar told me about Jiffi I've been collecting a free freebies from here and JS2. Using the wonderful ULS boot.cdi option.

I can't get the following to work and wondered if I was doing them right.

The maxx from .JAG

Zdemo from .abs

and

Zero4 from .abs

the final 2 I have no idea what they actaully are and if they're worth having(?)

I'm using discjuggler on the lowest speed with the setting that Jiffi suggests, RAW etc.

I'm using Verbatim CD-Rs.

All the best

It seems to me I was never able to get a couple of the ones you mentioned working well either, regardless if I tried burning Jiffi CD's or loading them with Skunk or BJL. I just assumed bad files or chalked up to incomplete programming, etc. I just moved on and forgot about them, like Zero4 and I think Reactris, possibly all of them. I've never been able to get the Jack Nickolaus Golf stuff to load to a skunkboard properly either. And several other things over the years, whether for .rom, BJL, or CD...

Thanks sh3, wow, lots of stuff on there.

I'll have a play around with it.

Cheers!

As for the four demos I listed above I think I'll either forget about them as Gunstar says, or experiment futher, if I ever find time!

What a shame these files won't work for everyone.

OK, I looked at the files you mentioned in your first post...

The maxx from .JAG

This took some finding, grabbed it form the Pouet page. JiFFI says it's a JagServer v3 file so it should be possible to create a CD image to burn with it. It runs in VJ if you want to try it there first.

Well this should deffo work, there was a CDI version to download on the Reboot site at one point and Felyx made a cover for it.

Zdemo from .abs[

and

Zero4 from .abs

I think those are both cart images/ROMs, they won't work with ULS unfortunately.

Thank you Sh3, I did try Reactris again from the link you sent and again only got as far as the title screen on the real hardware.. another wasted disc :( which is a shame as it looks great on youtube. I think here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/180677-reactris-ac2011/ is where I got the download originally.

but I did get The Maxx to work on virtual jag so something positive!

I'll carry on experimenting..

Just to aid a bit: the FTP link sh3 posted above has every binary verified by me before uploading. I was in the same position as you: I wanted to try out some homebrews but was constantly put off by the collections out there: wrong/cryptic file extensions, no text to indicate if the file is a ROM, coff, jagserver, where the binaries load/run etc etc.So I sat down mostly with JiFFI and virtual jaguar and sorted them out as best as I could.

Now, a couple of further notes:

• I looked for The Maxx at the FTP myself but couldn't find it. It must still be on my WIP folder (because at some point I became utterly bored doing this ;) - not many left in there though)
  • There are a few categories for homebrew stuff that aren't apparent at first glance: They might depend on the devkit used to make them. No matter how much transparent the Skunkboard, BJL, Jagserver, ULS, etc boot loaders are, they have to perform some minimal initialization of the machine to be capable of showing stuff on screen and doing transfers. Of course each loader does its own initialization, so at the end the system is left at a different state depending on the loader. People that don't have access to EEPROM burners or Skunkboards etc can't know for certain if their binaries will work with a totally clean system, and they learnt coding using the devkit and the state it leaves the machine, so if you try their binary on a system that's not using the same method of uploading the code, it might not work.I can't see of an easy way to fix this, unless someone provides of a universal routine that sets up the machine so all devkit binaries would work properly(probably then it could be incorporated into JiFFI so it patches homebrews with that code)

(IOW: run homebrews on other uploading system than the author used - you're on your own :P)

• Like 5

Hi,

I confirm your last post: I play Reactris proto on Jag Cd and this is why i did a DVD box cover for it.

I did not for the Maxx because it is working only on emulator. Anyway the Maxx is far from being a playable game: it is cool stuff but more like a curiosity.

That's the thing, you really want to make sure there is actually something worth burning to a CD first, there is a LOT of alpha crap out there that is nothing more than a curiosity and for most a waste of time: case and point; Dark Guardian is a title screen that is very unimpressive, and then one other partially done screen that looks like it's the start of a schematic of a ship you can scroll around, and that's it, literally. Not even close to being worth a CDR and the time to make it even, let alone DVD covers, etc.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My talk today of DVD covers and discs on plastic spidles made me think of this thread.

It took a while for the old brain cells to tick over and - yes of course Felyx is the guy known for making the DVD covers...I think?

Do you happen to have a directory I can access online felyx for DVD case covers? Nothing like downloading others' hard work! That's me saying I appreciate all effort you guys put into these projects.

I never did get Reactris to work :? but I'd love to see your Reactric cover Felyx in case I do ever get it going.

Thanks guys

My talk today of DVD covers and discs on plastic spidles made me think of this thread.

It took a while for the old brain cells to tick over and - yes of course Felyx is the guy known for making the DVD covers...I think?

Do you happen to have a directory I can access online felyx for DVD case covers? Nothing like downloading others' hard work! That's me saying I appreciate all effort you guys put into these projects.

I never did get Reactris to work :? but I'd love to see your Reactric cover Felyx in case I do ever get it going.

Thanks guys

He has the link right on his reply in this thread.

That's the thing, you really want to make sure there is actually something worth burning to a CD first, there is a LOT of alpha crap out there that is nothing more than a curiosity and for most a waste of time: case and point; Dark Guardian is a title screen that is very unimpressive, and then one other partially done screen that looks like it's the start of a schematic of a ship you can scroll around, and that's it, literally. Not even close to being worth a CDR and the time to make it even, let alone DVD covers, etc.

Your point here makes me wonder:

Will the JagCD unit work with CD-R/W? I have a couple around here somewhere.

If it does you can burn to them and reuse the CD-R/W and burn on a regular CD-R if you find you want a permanent copy.

BTW: CDRs are not really expensive. I buy Verbatim White Inkjet printable CDRs in bulk of 100 for around $.29 cents each. Still hate to waste a good CD on junk.

Edited by Clay

Your point here makes me wonder:

Will the JagCD unit work with CD-R/W? I have a couple around here somewhere.

If it does you can burn to them and reuse the CD-R/W and burn on a regular CD-R if you find you want a permanent copy.

BTW: CDRs are not really expensive. I buy Verbatim White Inkjet printable CDRs in bulk of 100 for around $.29 cents each. Still hate to waste a good CD on junk.

Unfortunately CDR/W's will not work with the Jag CD from what I've heard and my personal experience attempting to run a comebrew from a CDR/W myself. CDR's work for the most part as long as they are of decent quality, but maybe not the spindle of 1000 bought for $10. But Verbatim should be fine. I just recently made my first "bulk" purchase of Memorex CDR's, I picked up a spindle of 100 at Walmart for about $20, IIRC, it's been a few weeks (mine aren't inkjet printable).

Edited by Gunstar

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly sure why you are getting them, but the sense codes are "explained" here:

Error Codes / Sense Codes

Optical drives return error codes (or Sense codes like they're called in the industry) when something is the matter or just to inform the host (PC, application) of a certain situation.

The standard that describes these messages (amongst other things) is MMC :

MMC-3 Revision 10e

Table A.1
Logical Unit Sense Key, ASC and ASCQ Assignments

SK ASC ASCQ
2 / 04 / 07 LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, OPERATION IN PROGRESS
2 / 04 / 08 LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, LONG WRITE IN PROGRESS

BTW, are you copying your CDs from one device to another or doing a disc swap, rather than burning from images?

Not exactly sure why you are getting them, but the sense codes are "explained" here:

Error Codes / Sense Codes

Optical drives return error codes (or Sense codes like they're called in the industry) when something is the matter or just to inform the host (PC, application) of a certain situation.

The standard that describes these messages (amongst other things) is MMC :

MMC-3 Revision 10e

Table A.1
Logical Unit Sense Key, ASC and ASCQ Assignments

SK ASC ASCQ
2 / 04 / 07 LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, OPERATION IN PROGRESS
2 / 04 / 08 LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, LONG WRITE IN PROGRESS

BTW, are you copying your CDs from one device to another or doing a disc swap, rather than burning from images?

Try agian!

I am doing both a disc swap and burning from images - depending on whether I still have the image on my PC. I get the error in both cases.

Couple more points, this is a blu-ray burner and the free version of DJ that forces lowest speed...

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, at last my little Jag CD project is done and it's been a real labour of love.

Had to go for cardboard covers rather than photo paper as my printer couldn't print good enough quality on photo paper. But cardboard is good enough.

Photos attached

I used double cases which was good for combined games like Atomic/Reloaded and Tube/TubeSE

Where alternative covers where available like Project W in black or orange, I just chose my favourite and hid the other one behind it!

some don't have covers just labels like painter and of course the gorf you see is just a simple classic gorf demo not the full version.

some didn't have labels like Big disk, so I made my own.

Ocean deapths, nightmare getting it to work on my memorex printable discs (history of non -working Ocean Deapths well known), so I couldn't get a nice printed disc.

American Hero - This is just 2 discs of FMV clips I found in the downloads section of JS2. There are 3 discs but their first one is currupted. Jay at JS2 has included the American Hero game but I can only have it from there once I reach 100 posts and I'm on like 8!

Felyx was kind enough to make me a label for just Jungle Jag on its own - to make his existing cover - he's updated his yaronet page.

Then I bought these two little dvd towers that you see along with my very small collection of blu-rays.

Gunstar told me where to find the cinepak sci-fi movies, so I might like to add these to the collection but at $19 a pop - I don't know!

cheers!

post-7413-0-55202600-1374425334_thumb.jpg

post-7413-0-32140000-1374425360_thumb.jpg

post-7413-0-69526100-1374425378_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Nice collection… I can imagine your feeling while contemplating your shelf full of homebrews just as I remember how I felt when mine was fully populated :D

Back to the question about reading CD-RW: I tried to find out if that was possible to replace the Philips VAM 1202 laser transport by one which can read CD-CW but it seems it is not that simple.

Anyway it was a wrong good idea as it is easier to test a homebrew file with Virtual Jaguar to see if it worth burning a CD-R or not and on the top of that, VJ is available not only for PC but for Mac also.

• Like 1