IGNORED

Game Boy Color With No Sound From Speaker

I got a broken game boy color off my friend. It works but there is no sound coming from the speaker. I try the headphone jack and the sound works coming from that and even the volume control works too.

Is there any way to fix it? Would I need to replace the speaker and if so where could I buy a replacement.

Would a capacitor have blown like the Sega Game Gear Issues?

Thanks for your help! :)

My Game Boy Color fell victim to this in 2004. I played the heck out of that thing. One day in college, I had it sitting on my dorm room bed; I shifted on the mattress and the Game Boy slid off and hit the floor. It was only about a two foot drop but that did the speaker in. Headphones worked fine but no speaker output. Then a couple weeks later I went out and bought a GBA. I still have the old Game Boy Color though. It's a common problem with Game Boy colors. Probably just the weakest link in the handheld. In fact, my DS Phat has at least once survived a longer drop, directly onto the shoulder button of all places, with no damage.

Edited by stardust4ever

Well I decided to go the replace speaker route and see if that fixes the problem....also just for more helpful tips...the buttons didn't respond at all so I took it apart and sprayed the motherboard and the button contacts with contact cleaner and now it works like a brand new system just if anyone else has that problem.

I think as another helpful thing for the AA community I'm planning on putting together a video game 'Fix-it' document going through common problems with all consoles and how to fix them.

How would that work with copyrighting?

I know the one person on here has .pdf docs on how to fix and mod colecovision and was gonna use the pics as a reference but explain everything in my own words tho.

Well I decided to go the replace speaker route and see if that fixes the problem....also just for more helpful tips...the buttons didn't respond at all so I took it apart and sprayed the motherboard and the button contacts with contact cleaner and now it works like a brand new system just if anyone else has that problem.

I think as another helpful thing for the AA community I'm planning on putting together a video game 'Fix-it' document going through common problems with all consoles and how to fix them.

How would that work with copyrighting?

I know the one person on here has .pdf docs on how to fix and mod colecovision and was gonna use the pics as a reference but explain everything in my own words tho.

I've got one with a bad speaker too. Do you know where to get a replacement speaker? If so, please PM me,thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

So this is where I bought new speakers from:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F181138042599%3FssPageName%3DSTRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT%26_trksid%3Dp3984.m1497.l2649

I got them in over the weekend and it looks like it has 4 solder points on the speaker as opposed to the gameboy color two solder points. Does anyone know how to hook this thing up?

Thanks Osgeld! I actually just took a shot with it and soldered the farthest solder points for the two connections and now the game boy color works! so the two points in the middle I left alone.

I also had another one with the same problem...broken speaker.

Is this a common problem with these things?

Thanks for everyone's help! :)

Also if anyone is having the same issue and would like to fix it Id suggest buying replacement speakers from my earlier post, that's where I got mine from and not from a game boy advance :P

Edited by Mark T

• 8 years later...