IGNORED

Spectre GCR

Hello,

I like to get the Spectre GCR working, I never used it, I bought it on ebay a while ago but didn't find time to play with it.

This hardware allows me to get MacOS working in Atari 16/32 bit hardware.

What MacOS versions are supported ?

Does it work on the Falcon030 ?

Does it support networking ?

When someone has such hardware working let me know how to get started.

Hi.

I've got a Spectre GCR as well, but never tried it out.

I think you could use Macintosh System 6, maybe 7, and iirc the TT is the most advanced Atari you could use it with.

I'm quite certain about System 6, but uncertain about the rest.

1. Spectre GCR will run on all Atari ST/STe/TT machines. It will not run on the Falcon. One caveat on the TT: Only hard drives connected to the ACSI port are supported. You cannot install a Mac HD partition for use with Spectre GCR on the internal SCSI drive.

2. System 6.0.8 was the highest version of System/MacOS that Spectre GCR will run with. However, I recall the preferred/most stable version to use with Spectre GCR is version 6.0.5. Use version 6.0.7 if you want sound support. It will not work with System 7 or higher.

3. Networking is not supported.

• Like 1

Spectre works fine on my MSte, but it don't like the internal floppy of the Mste. (Some problems with timing etc..)

I attached a separate floppy drive SF314 to it, and also a syquest ez drive.

The last one contains the apple partition. I use System 6. System 7 don't work.

I read somewhere that the SF314 is mandatory. Other 3rd party floppy drives don't works.

Works also on a TT, with B/W high resolution monitor. However, the cartridge port must be free. and you has no access to the internal scsi port. (as I remember)

PS: The Mste is equipped with a Spectre GCR and VORTEX ATONCE 386SX in one machine.Never got problems.

• 2 weeks later...

AFAIK, GCR versions could read and write Apple formatted disk. I have a device called "Translaor O N E", connecto to the DMA port, allowing internal Atari drives as welll as external floppy drives to be read directly by the Atari, with or without MagiC Sac. It's near worth the price of admission to read some of Dave Smalls technical manuals. This is one of the units I'll be listing soon, as soon as taking care of moms funderal is over. From how the manual reads, disk operation is slightly slower than a functioning GCR set up, but is fail proof. For those into really old Apple disk, also have a 5.25" IB drive floppy that could be used with the Translator ONE for whatever crazyness level you need. There is no driver software, just plug it in and it works. If any are interested, will list it here the porper way in the event more than one user has interest. So until listed, no price is set. If there is interest in this thread, or PM's, then I will put it in the sales section.

Rustynut, before you sell the Translator One, can you tell me the specs on the ac power supply? I own a Translator One but missing the ac adapter. I am hoping the specs from yours will lead me to finding a generic one that I can buy on the net. Also, do you happen to have the owners guide for it? A scan would be great if I could get that too. Any help would be great! TJ

I don't know if this was Rustynutt's auction but just got these from eBay. I already have the MagicSac but wanted the Translator One. I also have the Spectre GCR. Really have to try these out. I have an UltraSatan so it's real easy to create complete independant systems on SD cards. Plus, my brother has a shed full of old MAC hardware and software. I'm sure there's plenty to try out on the ST.

post-6701-0-25352800-1370316761_thumb.jpg

The big problem I had was Apple went to a 1.44 floppy fairly quickly while Atari did not - even though I have a GCR I cant really find any software to move to my ST......the transfer program for Spectre doesnt work well with stuff'd binaries.

If someone can find the secret sauce to downloading something on your PC and getting to the Spectre side Id be a happy camper..........

If the old Mac stuff you have access to is 1.44 then you are also SOL I believe.

I don't know if this was Rustynutt's auction but just got these from eBay. I already have the MagicSac but wanted the Translator One. I also have the Spectre GCR. Really have to try these out. I have an UltraSatan so it's real easy to create complete independant systems on SD cards. Plus, my brother has a shed full of old MAC hardware and software. I'm sure there's plenty to try out on the ST.

post-6701-0-25352800-1370316761_thumb.jpg

Hi! Did we do a deal with a Screen Eye years ago? :) That wasn't my stuff on ebay :)

I have access to a wide range. He does have a lot of the early 800K Macs and disks. Some of the Macs he has are the ones that were fabricated with the signatures on the inside of the case.

I, myself, have a fully functional Lisa 2 with ProFile drives. One of the jewels in my collection.

The big problem I had was Apple went to a 1.44 floppy fairly quickly while Atari did not - even though I have a GCR I cant really find any software to move to my ST......the transfer program for Spectre doesnt work well with stuff'd binaries.

If someone can find the secret sauce to downloading something on your PC and getting to the Spectre side Id be a happy camper..........

If the old Mac stuff you have access to is 1.44 then you are also SOL I believe.

I'm not sure. I may have!! LOL I just realized that the hardware I bought back in '09 (MagicSac, Spectre GCR) had the manual to the Translator One in the lot (but not the device)!!! Now I have both. LOL

Hi! Did we do a deal with a Screen Eye years ago? icon_smile.gif That wasn't my stuff on ebay icon_smile.gif

• 2 years later...

Picked up a Spectre GCR for dirt cheap, bonus it came with the Apple roms. Now I gotta find software disks. Suggestions? Should I try to find system disks online, someone have fd images that I can setup without needing the mac? Found a scan of the manual, put me to sleep in like 2 pages, but gonna try it again soon.

Now if only my MT-32 would come in.

The system disks are available on line from places like Mac Garden, or I think Apple's ftp (not sure if they are still there). Getting them onto the ST is a pain due to the old Mac's whacky disk format. You can slowly transfer them over using some of the utils in the Spectre package, file by file. I initially did this but it was such a pain and took the best part of a day. Personally I'd either find someone with an old Mac who copy the disks for you, or buy one of the unpopular crappy Macs with a disk drive and a CD rom, such as a Performa, for cheap off Ebay (other retailers are available) and use that to write the disks. Transfer your system disk files to the old mac using the CD rom, then write the images to floppy. My experiments with Spectre caused me to buy a whole lot of old Macs. The original and plus are fairly useless as unless they have the system disks themselves they are essentially dead in the water. The Classic and onwards (i.e. most of the computers with hard disks) to the early power pc years should be ok. Anything Imac or later is a no go as the floppy drive was no longer used.